Re: Vortex Generators (VGs) on the GU Canard

Jay Scheevel

The Q2 was introduced in October, 1980 with the GU canard and first deliveries were made in January, 1981. First disclosure by QAC of the existence of the LS1 canard was in October of 1982 after it had been built and flown on the prototype. Notably, there was no mention of using carbon fiber spars in the construction of the prototype Q2 LS1 canard in that initial announcement (QAC Quickie Newsletter #18).

QAC approved and began shipping Q2/Q200 kits with the LS1 canard in January of 1983. The LS1 canard accompanied the announcement of the Q200 and included an upgrade in gross weight and powerplant options.  I think they had shipped more than 400 Q2-GU kits by the time they started shipping LS1 canards, but this is just a guess.

I bought my Q200 kit in mid 1984 and it was serial number 2868, meaning it was the 868th  Q2/200 kit they had sold.

Many builders did not buy all the sub kits, but I bet it is safe to assume that at least 300 Q2 kits with GU canard were sold. How many were built and flown is anyone’s guess.

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)