Re: Flight Report KMDH - KTOP & return

Lynn French

Sam,
Thanks for the article. I thought the punch line to your pressure problem was going to the same as mine. I had the same exact problem but the culprit ended up being something different. My gas cap for the main tank somehow vibrated loose allowing  low pressure on the fuel tank. This was causing me to have lean engine and low fuel pressure alarms.
Regards.

Short & simple from my mobile

On Nov 7, 2021, at 2:38 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

I made a little trip to Topeka this weekend to see the grands. Nice time was had by all. Non-eventful weather and the winds were okay in both directions, but sometimes I do wish I had cabin heat.  As long as the sun is shining in lower temps, I'm good. My old Dynon is showing everything in the green.

My route of flight takes me just over the lower end of Whiteman AFB, which is the Air Force's main B-2 bomber base.  Sometimes I'll see a billion dollar bomber on the ramp, like today.  The top of the control zone is 3,500 feet and I was heading east at 5,500. It always seems a bit strange to fly over Whiteman, feels like maybe I'm being watched?

As you may know I have an electric fuel injection system and have two Walbro pumps to deliver fuel at 40 psi. When I fly West, I'm on pump #1 and East I use pump #2. Both pumps are on for takeoff and landing phases. About an hour from home I noticed my mixture getting very lean.  As I was fooling with the mixture I suddenly got a LOW FUEL PRESSURE warning. I flipped on pump #1 and things went back to normal. Not believing what I was seeing I tried turning #1 off, and the engine just about died.

Okay, I get the hint. Turn #1 back on and #2 off, just in case it is spewing parts. Rest of the flight was uneventful and I didn't touch a thing until I got on the ground. Looks like I'll be ordering a new pump and a new 10 micron fuel filter.

All in all a fun day.

Sam