Re: Axle Removal Problems

Corbin

Christmas shenanigans got in the way until this morning and I was able to get it out….sort of.  Freezing/shrinking didn’t work, tapping from all sides and techniques didn’t work, working lubricant in didn’t work, in the end I cut it off as close to the wheel pant as I could and was able to shove the steel push rod into the wheel pant enough for the tire to fall down and out.

Now I just have to take part the wheel and remove the bearing (which is what it is stuck on) and steel push rod and throw them as far as I can into the woods; never to be seen again.

Corbin

On Dec 30, 2021, at 12:31 PM, Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Did you ever get that out or did Christmas get in the way?

On Fri., Dec. 24, 2021, 2:32 p.m. Mike Steinsland via groups.io, <MIKESKUSTOMS=GMAIL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
Definitely lubricate it as you get it going
Hopefully the lubricant works it's way into the wheel
You may have to tap it back and forth a lot.....a little at a time, like rocking a stuck car back and forth

On Thu., Dec. 23, 2021, 7:25 p.m. Bruce Crain, <jcrain2@...> wrote:
Maybe get someone to tap once on the outside and then tap the inside to see if that will loosen it.  You could use propane to super freeze the tube and see if it can make it shrink enough to move it.  Don’t smoke!
Bruce
> On Dec 23, 2021, at 12:12 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> [Edited Message Follows]
>
> Typos corrected:  I’ve always had a bit of a headache removing the axle when needing to remove the tire.  In one of the pics below, the darker steel rod is what I use to slide in and tap out the axle (which is the other pic).  The axle will easily pull out from the position in the pic.  However, the rod I use to tap out the axle is stuck and won’t move back out or further in.
>
> I have the plane raised so there is no weight on the tire.  I have tried tapping the axle back in to push back out the rod.  I’ve reached the point of, “nothing should ever be tapped that hard” so I’m stumped.
>
> The tire and wheel spin freely.  I’m tempted to cut the steel rod off as close to the wheel pant as I can just so I can get the tire/wheel out.
>
> Any ideas out there on a solution or something worth trying?
>

> Corbin
>
> --
> Corbin
> N121CG
>

> <image0.jpeg>
> <image1.jpeg>

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Plans starting as low as $6.95 per month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag695&promoCode=A34454

--

Corbin
N121CG