Re: Report of a Q-200 crash today

Ian Ashdown

Hi,

Never met Mike, but have seen all his YouTube videos, and I too am very glad he came out of this OK.

I had similar thoughts about the canard and also the firewall.  I’m expecting to receive my unbuilt kit in July and wonder if this can be treated as a learning opportunity for new builders such as myself.

I have several safety concerns about the crashworthyness as designed.  I have planned to look at a ‘false floor’ to provide a flat area for  the pedals and potentially conceal plumbing, wiring etc.  I also feel that the attachment of the firewall bulkhead to the fuselage seems a little ‘minimal’; this crash possibly indicates that may be true.  My major concern are the fuel tanks/system.  Very fortunately there appears to have been no fuel spillage in this case, but from my research it appears many were not so fortunate.

Obviously a major accident is never going to have a good result; my concern is the minor accidents that have potential to have a very bad result, but could possibly be mitigated with better design or manufacturing.

Is there a case for a ‘lessons learned’ discussion?

Again, very happy Mike survived this accident and feel badly for the loss of his aircraft.

Ian
SoCal