Re: O-200 Exhaust ... Straight pipes or cross?

David J. Gall

Point of reference: A cold-call to Ly-Con about F1 horsepower several years ago resulted in a 1-1/2 hour discussion with their dyno technician. He told me that the O-200s on F1 racers produce about 160-170 hp at 4200-4400 rpm on the dyno at ambient conditions (un-corrected to sea level) at their shop (near sea level).

On May 15, 2022, at 9:53 AM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

I've flown with a steel 4 into 1 exhaust for 22 years. I had the inside and outside coated with  "Jet Hot" a couple times. No cracks. It works for me.

Jim
N46JP Q200

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of John Hartley via groups.io <John.hartley1@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2022 6:51:48 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] O-200 Exhaust ... Straight pipes or cross?

I have a couple of good firends who race there, one is Thom Richard - Precious Metal and Hot Stuff. No one I know goes there with ONLY the engine on their plane - a usual team has a parts trailer with at least two extra engines because they they eat them so fast - a cost of doing business.

Get all blustered if you like, turbo, but I see no one dragging around an extra engine or a parts trailer on a $100 hamburger run. Back to my question, for folks who aren't "amazed" by a simple question... are stubby exhaust stacks reliable over an extended time (2000 hrs) or good for only short durations?