Re: Tailwheel Attachment Part Machining?

Jim Patillo

Image.jpeg

From: Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2022 9:25:39 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Tailwheel Attachment Part Machining?

Robert, I have a 5/8” spring steel rod that I installed many years ago.  You saw it when you looked at my plane. I think it was about 30” long. Look at the original plan as a guide before installing so you know how the glass rod was installed.

Cut off the fiberglass spring flush and square. Slowly drill out the glass rod starting with a smaller bit trying to stay in the center of the rod. The finished diameter needs to be a little larger than the 5/8” glass rod for a good bond. Use a Dremel and lightly cross hatch the rod for bonding . Pack the hole with flox and insert the rod. Glass the rod around the mating surfaces for a clean transition.
Note the rod can be longer than 30” and cut after installation.  It will fit your tail wheel perfectly. Drill a hole for an AN 4 bolt and install. You will also want to install two ply of UNI under the fuselage to strengthen the underbelly.  This is a clean way to do this.
 I tail wheel land and the spring has taken some punishment over the years. It is still working with no bends or cracks in the fuselage.

Jim
N46JP Q200