Re: Weight and balance and fuel considerations

Richard Thomson

   For some reason I was plotting FS on the horizontal axis instead of Moment (X1000).

    Not sure if that is your problem, but the lines certainly looked similar.

    Rich T

On 29/06/2022 11:05, Troy Zawlacki wrote:

I looked over all the documents in the “files” section and nothing seems to give evidence one way or the other. Matthew Curcio shows similar data points that he tested that are way outside of the plans envelope.

The spreadsheet online with the different builders noted only has Q200s, so not much Q2 info available. The biggest question is just about the change in CG over the course of the flight. Since the main tank is pretty much on CG, when you burn it off, you go directly out of the envelope to aft CG, right? Am I missing something here?

Rich what do you mean by the wrong axis?

Here is another plot updated with the LS1 CG envelope in grey. This is for a 200 lb pilot and full fuel.

And here is that same scenario with an additional 150 lb passenger.

Taz

On Jun 29, 2022, at 2:38 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

For reference, my Q200 is 727lbs empty and I’m weighing again at the end of week now that all the avionics are complete.

Corbin

On Jun 29, 2022, at 4:26 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

Hi Troy,

Your plot looks similar to my original ones, then Jay pointed out to me I was using the wrong axis and bingo came out they were spot on between the flags.

My TriQ200  is around 760 Lbs empty.

Rich T.

On 29/06/2022 03:41, Troy Zawlacki wrote:
I just recently did a prelim W&B as I finish up my plane and then went deep down the rabbit hole immediately. I remade the original charts from the operating manual into a spreadsheet so I could figure the optimal place to locate my battery.

Then I quickly realized that the CG envelope doesn’t seem big enough for the difference between full fuel in the main and empty fuel in the main? Has anyone else noticed this? I made this plot for just one pilot with points from top to bottom showing:full main full header, empty main full header, and finally all empty. It seems like a normal plot to make for a cross country but it would be impossible to stay within the limits burning the full main tank volume. Are the CG limits really that conservative from the plans?

Also, does anyone want to share their empty weight numbers? I had a good laugh after reading the plans again as they quote 495 lbs for a Q2 and 505 lbs for a Q200! I seem to recall like 650 lbs for a Q2 and 700 lbs for a Q200 as normal.

My plane comes in at 595 lbs and a 40 inch CG arm (which I think I am happy about?).

<PastedGraphic-1.png>

Taz

--

Corbin