Re: N169W

Kidd, Robert L [US] (IS)

There are two different issues here:

Registration

Air Worthiness Certificate

Registration comes under the jurisdiction of Oklahoma City, the FAA Registration Center.  Until it is registered, it isn’t an “airplane”.  It used to be that the registrations never expired, but not too long ago it was determined they were carrying a huge number of aircraft that didn’t really exist, so they shifted to the current policy of cyclical renewals for a nominal fee, and that dropped out most the dead planes.

Air Worthiness Certificates are under the jurisdiction of the “local” FSDO (Flight Safety District Office).

Both places are subject to their own bureaucracy issues.

That registration looks like it expired, there is a good likelihood that OK City will allow you to apply for registration again.  If you can obtain an FAA Bill of Sale from the previously registered owner, you may be able to just apply for new ownership, and it may go through.  It might be worth calling OK City and ask to see what they tell you.

Since it expired, and was not “de-registered” (there is a difference between those) it is likely the Airworthiness Certificate was never surrendered, and if the registration is re-instated, the Airworthiness Certificate will not have expired.

All that said, the advice from Charlie and Jay is good to take in and digest.

If I would have had Charlie’s advice early on, I would have built a new Falcon XP out of parts, and likely might have been able to get it out of the “Experimental Exhibition” bracket, and into “Experimental Amateur Built” bracket, and possibly could have applied for a repairman certificate.  And if frogs had wings…

Jay’s advice is good, A DAR can save you all kinds of headaches.  You will have to work with your geographic office, I don’t think they will let you shop around, unless you are right on the boundaries.

At that, when I called to see about having the FSDO send someone out, they suggested I use a DAR, as they were busy.  I told him a DAR was a bit expensive for my meager budget and I wasn’t in any particular hurry, and the tone changed significantly, and they sent an inspector within 3 weeks.  I had the condition inspection done prior (at the request of the FSDO) and they found a couple of squawks that I had to fix.  They returned a week later and re-issued my Airworthiness Certificate.

However it goes for you, there will be some red tape.  With that in mind, it isn’t insurmountable.

Good luck with your new project.

Robert Kidd

Logan, UT