Re: N169W

One Sky Dog

If you are going Corvair use W.W.’s gold accessories. Front starter , permanent magnet alternator, gold oil pan, gold oil filter set up , WW recommended oil cooler etc.

SPA did the machine work on my block for a 3.0 L engine.

Weight will be very close to O-200 installation

On Monday, July 11, 2022, 1:54 PM, Sandaircraft <Snoboarders@...> wrote:

Sandman was a childhood nickname.
I was going to start with a WW tray and spools, then playing with mounting and cg. Lots of options on for and aft starter, alternator, battery location and such.
Just hearing opinions from you guys that have done it

On Jul 11, 2022, at 2:42 PM, One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

 Sandman?

This is the first Corvair mount I saw for a small firewall. This was a KR2 firewall mock-up in 2001.

I built one, tested to failure, rebuilt correcting flaws, retested. Modified an existing mount that came with an engine I purchased. Installed on my Dragonfly and have 100 hrs of flight time on it.

B5B97AC5-858F-48CF-A012-2D4B5D1297B1.jpeg

This mount will fail the rear horizontal tube bends up with engine loads.

43BFD91B-6322-4739-B76E-F204DD2C2CF9.jpeg

Rear truss that is connected to bed properly resists bending load and transfers it to the firewall bolts.

Regards,

Charlie

On Monday, July 11, 2022, 11:12 AM, Sandaircraft <Snoboarders@...> wrote:

All very helpful info. I am in contact with po and hopeful we can do bos. That will be first step. I also am in good with local FSDO and a DAR. I definitely want this sorted before hand.
If all goes well id like to power with corvair, so Vern if you have any pics or drawings, any advice id love to hear it. Mostly interested in placement and mount design at this point.

On Jul 11, 2022, at 1:03 PM, Frankenbird Vern <smeshno1@...> wrote:

 I wonder..Bruce..which FSDO did your DAR work with? I presume Tulsa is where I will go through, but in my case the truth is the entire critter is not possible to be a kit!  Nothing like what they are offering from Zenith and similar. Coordinated pilots..not much trimming..they practically put themselves together. I've seen more layout work done in Production lines than the current Experimental kits being offered now.

Vern
Trapped again in OKC on Contract at the Lazy B as an M.E.
"The beatings will continue until moral improves!"