Re: Firewall Mounting?

One Sky Dog

FYI,

Laminating epoxies and adhesive epoxy formulations are quite different. Not quite as simple as it seems.

Click bond 200 is an acrylic adhesive and is brittle. Airmen punch them off all the time leaning on screws to start them.

JB has lots of formulations of adhesives but I do not think they make laminating epoxies.

Regards,

On Thursday, July 21, 2022, 5:34 AM, Frankenbird Vern <smeshno1@...> wrote:

Haha.. Ya..its powdered steel mixed in epoxy.  Shocking!  Hot here in Oklahoma?.. at least the runways don't melt
 like they have happening in England. :-) 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 6:15 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Firewall Mounting?

I usually use the quick set, but in your heat it may set too quickly. I am usually doing just one or two at a time so good for me. Only gotcha is that JB Weld conducts electricity, so don’t pot any electronics in it. Don’t ask me how I know.

Cheers,
Jay

On Jul 20, 2022, at 2:16 PM, Frankenbird Vern <smeshno1@...> wrote:

Did you use the quickset or the longer cure version, Jay?  

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 1:57 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Firewall Mounting?

My experience is like Sam’s that flox mounted hardware sometimes breaks  loose (despite very careful surface prep). I have never had this happen with a ClickBond fastener, nor a metal fastener bonded with JB Weld, hence my choice of JB weld over flox for fasteners.

Cheers,
Jay 

On Jul 20, 2022, at 1:13 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

My experience with flox mounted bolts/screws is sooner or later they break off.

I like keeping it simple. You can just install t-ee nuts on the back side of the firewall. You can use pop rivets to hold them in place.

The other non-elegant thing that I do, is to simply drill a 3/16" hole and creatively use wire ties. I try not to do that too often though. Then I caulk the hole with RTV type goo. 

Sam

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022, 11:51 AM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
Is there a recommended mounting method for firewall components ... Thru bolt or flox mounted bolts?
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Love building planes almost as much as flying. Latest completed build is "Loki", a Chinook Plus 2 bush plane.

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.