From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Scheevel
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2022 11:13 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Elevator Trim Springy Thingy Really Needed?

Just a clarification on what Chris said. He and I both have the LS1 canard which requires the sparrow strainers. The GU canard that you have doesn’t require them and will be more like the Q1 (GU canard) or the original Long-EZ with the GU canard and will require a small spring force trim on the elevator.

I think Chris and David’s responses about the sparrow strainers suggests that that they believe you have the LS1 canard. They  can correct me if I am mistaken on that.

I have both spring-loaded elevator trim and reflexor and find that I use both. Having both allows me to optimize cruise at different cg’s, with only small adjustments.

I agree with David that you should not even think about using autopilot until you are very familiar with the hand flying characteristics of the plane in all phases of flight.

On Jul 28, 2022, at 10:22 PM, David J. Gall <David@...> wrote:

Robert,

You’re asking for a Masters’ level dissertation on pitch stability and control, all of which has been hashed over numerous times on these pages. Please read the archives.

Long story short: follow the plans and the QAC factory plans change notices. We don’t need any Q-pilots (you!) killed because they thought they could do it “better” without understanding what it is that they’re doing. If you’re flying without sparrow strainers (or their aerodynamic equivalent) you’re doing it wrong. If you’re installing an autopilot servo with the expectation that the servo can hold a bias force thereby permitting you to eliminate the spring, you’re doing it wrong. If you’re installing an autopilot without first having hand-flown the full flight envelope and adjusted the trim spring and sparrow strainers (both with and without using the reflexor), you’re doing it wrong.

David J. Gall