Re: Elevator Trim Springy Thingy Really Needed?

David J. Gall

“If you’re flying without sparrow strainers (or their aerodynamic equivalent) you’re doing it wrong.”

“I think Chris and David’s responses about the sparrow strainers suggests that that they believe you have the LS1 canard.”

Actually, Jay, I stand by that statement even for the GU canard. But I’m not going to argue with all the Q2’s that are “successfully” flying without sparrow strainers or equivalent. I just bite my lip and move on, hoping they’ll never have a spring failure or a significant overspeed….

David J. Gall

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Scheevel
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2022 11:13 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Elevator Trim Springy Thingy Really Needed?

Just a clarification on what Chris said. He and I both have the LS1 canard which requires the sparrow strainers. The GU canard that you have doesn’t require them and will be more like the Q1 (GU canard) or the original Long-EZ with the GU canard and will require a small spring force trim on the elevator.

I think Chris and David’s responses about the sparrow strainers suggests that that they believe you have the LS1 canard. They  can correct me if I am mistaken on that. 

I have both spring-loaded elevator trim and reflexor and find that I use both. Having both allows me to optimize cruise at different cg’s, with only small adjustments. 

I agree with David that you should not even think about using autopilot until you are very familiar with the hand flying characteristics of the plane in all phases of flight.

Cheers,

Jay 

On Jul 28, 2022, at 10:22 PM, David J. Gall <David@...> wrote:

Robert,

You’re asking for a Masters’ level dissertation on pitch stability and control, all of which has been hashed over numerous times on these pages. Please read the archives.

Long story short: follow the plans and the QAC factory plans change notices. We don’t need any Q-pilots (you!) killed because they thought they could do it “better” without understanding what it is that they’re doing. If you’re flying without sparrow strainers (or their aerodynamic equivalent) you’re doing it wrong. If you’re installing an autopilot servo with the expectation that the servo can hold a bias force thereby permitting you to eliminate the spring, you’re doing it wrong. If you’re installing an autopilot without first having hand-flown the full flight envelope and adjusted the trim spring and sparrow strainers (both with and without using the reflexor), you’re doing it wrong.

David J. Gall

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Schmid
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2022 6:04 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Elevator Trim Springy Thingy Really Needed?

Humor me please, with a little bit of patience as I have only flown a Quickie once ... With a 2 axis autopilot and a reflexor, do I need the elevator trim spring setup at all?

I am asking for a few reasons ...

• I didn't really like the elevator pressure the springs created, I like light stick pressure like my RV4
  • How much back pressure does the elevator need in climb? Too much for the autopilot servo?
  • I have heard from a few that you solely trim your pitch with the reflexor in cruise alone.
  • And lastly, one less piece of equipment I need to install and maintain is appealing but ...

What do I know? Knowing you, I expect a lively conversation so GO :-)
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Love building planes almost as much as flying. Latest completed build is "Loki", a Chinook Plus 2 bush plane.

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.