From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of David J. Gall <David@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2022 7:22:11 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Elevator Trim Springy Thingy Really Needed?

Robert,

You’re asking for a Masters’ level dissertation on pitch stability and control, all of which has been hashed over numerous times on these pages. Please read the archives.

Long story short: follow the plans and the QAC factory plans change notices. We don’t need any Q-pilots (you!) killed because they thought they could do it “better” without understanding what it is that they’re doing. If you’re flying without sparrow strainers (or their aerodynamic equivalent) you’re doing it wrong. If you’re installing an autopilot servo with the expectation that the servo can hold a bias force thereby permitting you to eliminate the spring, you’re doing it wrong. If you’re installing an autopilot without first having hand-flown the full flight envelope and adjusted the trim spring and sparrow strainers (both with and without using the reflexor), you’re doing it wrong.

David J. Gall