Re: Floxing In AN bolts?

Sam Hoskins

You can use a drill to countersink the head of the bolt into the phenolic. Then pack around the head with flox.  For AN3, the bolt won't rotate.

Try not to cut into the skin when doing this.

As far as I can recall, the plans don't call for embedding in the canard.  Better to just attach to the outside.

This may or may not help.

Sam

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 11:36 AM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
Silly question I am sure but I am struggling with floxing in AN bolts, or SS Grade 8 ones for that matter, to mount various things inside the plane, some more structural than others. What I do know is ...
1 - I'd use phenolic as the base with the bolt thru it,
2 - then cover the phenolic with 2 layers of BID but ...

How do I make sure the bolt doesn't slip when I put on the nut?
Do I always need to cut the foam out to attach the phenolic to the outside instead of inside skin?
What about embedding in the canard?

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid