Re: seatbelts

Richard Thomson

Hi Simon,

That SN was superseded   Feb 2021 with SN2021-006.

Same message but more advice.

Cheers

Rich T.

On 30/10/2022 22:28, quickieq2uk via groups.io wrote:

Hi Bill,

I see you are U.K. based. The CAA put out a Safety Notice in 2019 about ageing seat belts in, homebuilts, microlights and historic aircraft. Details at the attached link.

Simon Wilson

On 30 Oct 2022, at 20:46, Terry Adams <terrywadams@...> wrote:

 And to think I have $1,078 in seat belts in my plane!

On 10/30/2022 9:28 AM, Bill Allen wrote:
The QAC kits probably used the same belts that Rutan and other kit manufacturers used, as still sold by ACS here:

I am curious to know how time affects the strength of these and similar belts - they do have dates on them but of course, the Experimental world is not bound by any calendar replacement life.
However, if am to put on a belt, it is with the expectation that it will restrain me in the event of an accident, and if it’s ability to do this declines with time, I’d replace it.
I may take some old belts to a test station out of curiosity as I’ve noticed that old belts (c.30yrs ) loose their “suppleness” - maybe it affects strength, maybe it doesn’t.
AC23-4.6a(5) requires that they restrain a load of 9g for a 170lb person plus a 1.33 margin; ie; 2035lbs. Quite a load, and not many folk are 170 lbs these days…

Bill Allen
Q200 G-KWKI
LongEz N99BA
Cozy4 G-BYLZ
VariEze N2CR

On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 at 16:25, Dan Thomas via groups.io <rv6dan=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Norman,

I came over to look at your Q about 3 years ago.  I was involved in reselling a complete Q200 kit and parts from another Q that was donated to our EAA chapter about 2 years ago that had 2 sets of the original QAC seat belts. If you are interested I can ask if he still has an extra set that he could part with.  They are 30+ years old so don’t know what condition they would be (strength/safety-wise).  Or you could get something very similar from many other sources very reasonably priced on the open market that would be brand new.  Let me know if I can help either way.

—Dan Thomas
    Everett, WA
    RV-6.   N43DT

On Sunday, October 30, 2022, 6:26 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

What information are you looking for?  The seatbelts were supplied with the kit from QAC.

Sam

Communication ink and paper free