Re: AV30

Rick Hole

The problem with internal magnetometers in a panel instrument is proximity to steel or wiring carrying any significant current.  External magnetometers can be placed where there are no stray magnetic fields.
I have installed bunches.  Occasionally an internal magnetometer can be calibrated. If you are very, very lucky.

Rick Hole

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022, 8:56 PM Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:
Hi Ben and Keith,
Uavonix does sell a remote magnometer compatible with these units. They’ve added it as an option for $295.00 but you would think that after spending that much for AV30’s their internal magnetometers would work better. You can set them both in DG mode and go fly for 15 minutes and they vary from each other after each and are off course. I’ve tried calibrating them and talking to the factory but that hasn’t helped so far. Everything else works great. 

Jim
N46JP - Q200

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Ben Wilson <4benwilson@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2022 4:35:31 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] AV30

Here’s what ACS says:

Q: Will this unit work on the AV30 for a DG?

No, this is only used for compatible MGL instruments. The AV-30 is a non-slaved DG, so it does not require a remote magnetometer.”

Hmmmm……

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adam Radloff
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2022 12:46 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] AV30

Jim, forget it without the magnetometer. I own 2 also and have the same complaint, personally I think uAvionix should provide the magnetometer for free for the poor saps like us that bought them. It's false advertising in my opinion. If you research the web and review the AV-30 Facebook group there are many many complaints. 

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022, 11:28 AM Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

I recently installed two Uavonix AV30’s in my plane and removed all the vacuum stuff. That all worked great and I really like not having vacuum. Each unit is a full blown AHARS.   Having said that, the DG unit cannot hold a heading worth a crap and precesses within 10-15 minutes to where it has to be reset with the compass. I’ve tried calibrating it but no joy for better performance. I can buy an external magnometer to solve this but would rather not. My question is, has anyone else seen this problem and how did you solve it. 

BTW, I hope to pass 2000 hours on my plane this year. It’s been a blast. Keep building only if it’s a little every day. There is actually an end believe it or not, and you will be greatly rewarded! 

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.