Mike Conlin Q-LIST Re: Waddelow canard info

Mike Conlin

I was refering to the canard--
it's not safe to assume anything........we didn't know for sure if
the "saddle fixture" caused the load test failure---
I wasn't involved with the construction of his wing, so really didn't
have any knowledge of it..I was rebuilding a wrecked Q2, so only was
interested in the canard. I really don't remember that QAC had load
test plans, since we worked from information he created, which most
of you probably have.
We used jacks on all three (2 canards/1 wing) that we load tested.
BTW, I have the 240" canard that he built. It was never finished.
As I said before, it's been a few years---------
--- In Q-LIST@y..., The Bruce Crains <jcrain2@j...> wrote:
Mike,
When you say the glass webs between the cores are you refering to
the
canard or did Mark decide to put an extra shear web in the main wing
also? I am assuming the canard passed the test because of the extra
shear web at 30% cord plus tapered spar caps.
As for the main wing test failure I am confused because the main
wing is
built per plans with extra BID lay ups on the aft shear web plus the
tapered spar caps. Wasn't it stronger than the original main wing
at that
point? In Mark's notes he says something like load test per Q
plans but
leave out the jack. Is that the part of the fixture you referred
to as
causing the test failure on the main wing.

Thanks so much for your input!