Re: Gall Wheel Alignment

David J. Gall


Thanks for the testimonial and kind words. To fill in the rest of the story, what reflexor settings have you been using for takeoff and landing, and do you anticipate changing those settings? Also, I know that you've done a lot of work on your tailwheel setup and have discounted the importance of "ground angle of attack;" what is the current status of your tailwheel mods?

David J. Gall
P.S. Thanks for the oil flow photos, too!

----- Original Message -----
From: L Koutz
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 1:09 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Gall Wheel Alignment

Over the last week I changed my tires. I had been watching the wear and
there was an awful lot of excess wear in the inside edges indicating the
camber wasn't right. I decided to do the "Gall Alignment" in addition to the
tire change.

I have to admit my ground handling is about a "C" and maybe even a "D" where
an "A" is like driving a car and an "E" is like driving a car BACKWARDS! I
don't think anyone could handle my plane on the ground without brakes as it
oversteers (wants to turn more than you do ) and I need reverse rudder pedal
inputs after I start a turn and even use brakes to prevent turns from
becoming ground loops. Therefore I felt some improvements were in order!

So after taking off the wheels I put each wheel pant on a 4 castered dolly I
have made up to move things around. I filled the forward gas tanks and sat
about 200 lbs of water on the forward fuselage and cowling. This would
hopefully take the place of 400 lbs of weight in the cockpit.

I sighted down the axles and sure enough I was sighting below and forward of
the other axle (probably 2-3" in front and below 2-3"). The new game plan
was to have the sight picture be slightly ahead of the axle and 2 " inches

So out with the round wood file. I choose the outside hole to mangle as I
wouldn't have to move the brake mounting brackets. I did some ROUGH filing
to get the axle sighted at the approximate location and some filing on the
inside hole as the axle now had to be tilted some in the inside hole. I
waxed up the axle so the flox wouldn't stick. I wet the rough edges of the
new holes with pure resin then floxed the edges and pushed in the axle from
the inside hole to the outside hole. Lined up the axles and pushed more flox
in any gaps. I didn't worry to much about flox oozing out inside the
wheelpant. Realigned the axles again. Then let cure. The next day I knocked
out the axles, filed off the flox inside the wheelpant, then floxed the
axles again. Usually there are voids in the flox around the axle hole and
this second floxing fills them up and gives a smooth surface for the axle
and no voids. I usually sand the axle holes lightly after the first floxing
for a better bond and after the second floxing for a looser, slip fit.

So now I had to install the wheels to see if they still fit. Lucky me, there
was only minor interference at a few places and the plane was soon back on
its rubber feet. Now the real test- did the handling improve?

I taxied around and SURE ENOUGH handling improved- a lot! The plane didn't
oversteer to any appreciable extent and I could handle it entirely with
rudder pedals. I have done two landing and they were "no brainers". I didn't
have to fight for control all throughout the landing roll. So even at this
short testing period I feel that the GALL ALIGNMENT was a help for me and
would recommend it to anyone with handling problems. I would also recommend
it to everyone at condition inspection time. It is not too hard to do and if
you E-mail me your data I would tabulate the data and report back as I have
a database on these planes.

So to DAVID GALL, my hat is off to you and your analytical E-mail on wheel
alignment. May you put as much time in building your Q-1 as you do analyzing


eGroups Sponsor

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

Quickie Builders Association WEB site

Join to automatically receive all group messages.