From: Jon Finley [mailto:finley@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 9:10 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Fiberglassing Techniques

I have seen layups use both techniques. The Q plans call for the micro to
be wet (not dry) when you apply the glass. The EZ community has done a lot
of experimentation with what they call "hard shelling." They cut the cores,
sand them, apply micro, sand it, and then apply the glass. The idea is that
the micro can be sanded to achieve a near perfect contour before applying
the glass. It also results in an easy layup (generally) and is much, much
easier to get all the air out. To be clear: I am not talking about applying
micro to low spots in the core or repairing core damage. I am talking about
applying a micro shell around the core before applying the glass.

I have always understood that the purpose of micro is to provide some "bite"
into the foam (like little fingers going into the foam). The foam (if
properly prepared) is smooth and contoured already it just has lots of
little holes in it.

Yes, the quality of the bond was an issue. The conclusion was that the
glass to (dry) micro bond is a lot stronger than the micro to foam bond is
so it is not a concern. This was tested by quite a few folks with different
techniques but the result was always the same. Peeling the glass up always
pulled the micro and bits of foam with it. You could reference CSA back
issues for details.

My personal conclusion (from reading and doing a hard shell layup) was that
I would never do another wet micro layout as the "hard shell" layup is so
much easier. I just glassed my replacement tail cone and didn't want to
have to hangar warm for several days (day or two for micro to cure and then
another day or two for glass to cure) so I did a "traditional" (per Q plans)
layup. I now remember exactly why I decided to use the hard shell
technique!

If you are a "follow the plans" guy, disregard everything I have said and
FOLLOW THE PLANS!!
Jon Finley
Q1 N54JF - 1835cc VW
Q2 N90MG - Subaru EA-81 DD Turbo