Date   
Re: Keith Welsh's Quickie 1 Q-Tour - This Saturday, 9:00 CDT.

John Hoxie
 

Do we have an idea how many are going to Spring Fling next week?


On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 11:28 AM, Sam Hoskins
<sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
Join Keith as he does a walk-around of his award winning Q1, live from Terra Haute, IN. The link to the meeting is at the bottom of this email.  This session will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube.

Again, after Keith's Q-Tour ends, we can re-enter the Zoom meeting for an open mic session.

Coming up next month:
August 8, 2020 at 09:00 USA Central time.  Dave Dugas and his award winning Revmaster powered Q-2.

The Q-Tour response has been great.  If you are interested in presenting your aircraft or would like to request seeing someone else's plane that you may been following, drop me a note at sam.hoskins@...

Sam Hoskins is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
 
Topic: Keith Welsh Quickie 1 Q-Tour
Time: Saturday, July 11, 2020 09:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
 
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/72370836215?pwd=Ykg3NHp0MzFkSmdLMEN6OEJQeUF2Zz09
 
Meeting ID: 723 7083 6215
Password: 4PrUF1
 

Keith Welsh's Quickie 1 Q-Tour - This Saturday, 9:00 CDT.

Sam Hoskins
 

Join Keith as he does a walk-around of his award winning Q1, live from Terra Haute, IN. The link to the meeting is at the bottom of this email.  This session will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube.

Again, after Keith's Q-Tour ends, we can re-enter the Zoom meeting for an open mic session.

Coming up next month:
August 8, 2020 at 09:00 USA Central time.  Dave Dugas and his award winning Revmaster powered Q-2.

The Q-Tour response has been great.  If you are interested in presenting your aircraft or would like to request seeing someone else's plane that you may been following, drop me a note at sam.hoskins@...

Sam Hoskins is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
 
Topic: Keith Welsh Quickie 1 Q-Tour
Time: Saturday, July 11, 2020 09:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
 
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/72370836215?pwd=Ykg3NHp0MzFkSmdLMEN6OEJQeUF2Zz09
 
Meeting ID: 723 7083 6215
Password: 4PrUF1
 

Re: Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Corbin
 

Hey Chris,

Is that a 4-1 or a 2-1? I’m starting to think I’ll need a 2-1 on each side due to my fuel injection setup.

Corbin

On Jul 4, 2020, at 8:12 PM, Dorothea Keats <dkeats@...> wrote:

 Corbin------------- I have the stock exhaust that cane with the Q200, Don't know if it will work for your application, but it is available.------------ Chris in canada


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus



--
Corbin
N33QR

Re: Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Dorothea Keats
 

Corbin-------------  I have the stock exhaust that cane with the Q200, Don't know if it will work for your application, but it is available.------------  Chris in canada


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Re: Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Martin Skiby
 

I have the 4-1 but I’m thinking back I think you may need a 2-1 because of where the 4-1 crossed over and it may interfere with your fuel injection system.



Martin

 


On Jul 4, 2020, at 5:44 PM, Martin Skiby <mskiby@...> wrote:

Corbin,  we have an original 4 into 1 system that came with the Q200 kit.   

PM me if you want it.
<image0.jpeg>


Martin

 


On Jul 4, 2020, at 5:26 PM, Mike Conlin via groups.io <conlin_m@...> wrote:


I have a 4 into 1 that could be used for a template.  It was on a q200 i flew in  the 80's. 



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...>
Date: 7/4/20 4:00 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Does anyone have an exhaust system sitting around in a dark corner for sale?

My current exhaust set up is a cross over design that runs two pipes across and in front of engine (pics below).  I am installing the Light Speed Ignition system and the pick up plate hits the top exhaust with the current setup.  I will need to change my exhaust to a 2 in 1 on each side (or a 4 in 1) so that I can get the clearance for the mounting plate.  Klaus no longer makes or recommends the Hall effect for the mag hole so I am left with changing up the exhaust.

Before I go to the trouble of having exhaust made, I wanted to check to see if anyone has an exhaust system for sale.  Please let me know if you do and pictures always help.

Thanks,

Corbin

IMG_1652.jpegIMG_1656.jpegIMG_1653.jpeg   IMG_1658.jpeg
Corbin

Re: Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Martin Skiby
 

Corbin,  we have an original 4 into 1 system that came with the Q200 kit.   

PM me if you want it.

Martin

 


On Jul 4, 2020, at 5:26 PM, Mike Conlin via groups.io <conlin_m@...> wrote:


I have a 4 into 1 that could be used for a template.  It was on a q200 i flew in  the 80's. 



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...>
Date: 7/4/20 4:00 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Does anyone have an exhaust system sitting around in a dark corner for sale?

My current exhaust set up is a cross over design that runs two pipes across and in front of engine (pics below).  I am installing the Light Speed Ignition system and the pick up plate hits the top exhaust with the current setup.  I will need to change my exhaust to a 2 in 1 on each side (or a 4 in 1) so that I can get the clearance for the mounting plate.  Klaus no longer makes or recommends the Hall effect for the mag hole so I am left with changing up the exhaust.

Before I go to the trouble of having exhaust made, I wanted to check to see if anyone has an exhaust system for sale.  Please let me know if you do and pictures always help.

Thanks,

Corbin

IMG_1652.jpegIMG_1656.jpegIMG_1653.jpeg   IMG_1658.jpeg
Corbin

Re: Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Mike Conlin
 

I have a 4 into 1 that could be used for a template.  It was on a q200 i flew in  the 80's. 



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...>
Date: 7/4/20 4:00 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Does anyone have an exhaust system sitting around in a dark corner for sale?

My current exhaust set up is a cross over design that runs two pipes across and in front of engine (pics below).  I am installing the Light Speed Ignition system and the pick up plate hits the top exhaust with the current setup.  I will need to change my exhaust to a 2 in 1 on each side (or a 4 in 1) so that I can get the clearance for the mounting plate.  Klaus no longer makes or recommends the Hall effect for the mag hole so I am left with changing up the exhaust.

Before I go to the trouble of having exhaust made, I wanted to check to see if anyone has an exhaust system for sale.  Please let me know if you do and pictures always help.

Thanks,

Corbin

IMG_1652.jpegIMG_1656.jpegIMG_1653.jpeg   IMG_1658.jpeg
Corbin

Looking for Q200 Exhaust

Corbin
 

Does anyone have an exhaust system sitting around in a dark corner for sale?

My current exhaust set up is a cross over design that runs two pipes across and in front of engine (pics below).  I am installing the Light Speed Ignition system and the pick up plate hits the top exhaust with the current setup.  I will need to change my exhaust to a 2 in 1 on each side (or a 4 in 1) so that I can get the clearance for the mounting plate.  Klaus no longer makes or recommends the Hall effect for the mag hole so I am left with changing up the exhaust.

Before I go to the trouble of having exhaust made, I wanted to check to see if anyone has an exhaust system for sale.  Please let me know if you do and pictures always help.

Thanks,

Corbin

IMG_1652.jpegIMG_1656.jpegIMG_1653.jpeg   IMG_1658.jpeg
Corbin

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Re: ADV:[Q-List] Fling thing

Bruce Crain
 

Whoop whoop!!
B
On Jul 1, 2020, at 8:16 PM, Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

Jay,
Short answer. Yes.

On Wednesday 01/07/2020 at 10:32 am, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Hey Kevin,
Is the Fling still on for July 17-20?
Cheers,
Jay





____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

This FBI Team Probes 'Disruptions in the Spirit'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5efd4925a5c849243d85st01vuc1
In This State, the Party's Over
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5efd492524c8949243d85st01vuc2
Fort Hood Soldier Kills Himself After Remains Found
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5efd49253f5b349243d85st01vuc3

Re: ADV:[Q-List] Fling thing

Kevin Boddicker
 

Jay,
Short answer. Yes.

On Wednesday 01/07/2020 at 10:32 am, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Hey Kevin,
Is the Fling still on for July 17-20?
Cheers,
Jay

Re: Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

Jay Scheevel
 

Very nice wiring, Kevin. I am jealous.

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Sheeley via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 5:25 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

 

Corbin,

 

See attached pictures for elevator servo. 155640 is the aileron servo.

 

My canopy hinges forward which give me easy access to my hinged instrument panel.

 

Kevin

 

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 08:09:22 PM EDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

 

 

Thanks Kevin!  Would love to see your servo setup.

Corbin



On Jun 29, 2020, at 6:49 PM, Kevin Sheeley via groups.io <kjsheely1@...> wrote:



Corbin,

 

I will get some pictures for you this week. I can't seam to find mine.

 

BTW, I removed my spring bias system so now I use my reflexor for elevator pressure relief.

 

Kevin

 

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 10:04:32 AM EDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

 

 

Thanks Jerry.  Appreciate it!

 

Corbin 


On June 29, 2020 at 9:03 AM, Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

Corbin,

I installed the Dynon D100 A/P back when the world was flat.  Next time to the airport I'll take pix for you.  My elevator control hookup has served me well.

Jerry Marstall 

 

-------- Original message --------

From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...>

Date: 6/29/20 9:41 AM (GMT-05:00)

Subject: [Q-List] Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

 

I am planning out avionics upgrades and would like to consider having a pitch servo and not just roll.  Does anyone have any pics of their placement of the servo for the elevator controls?  I think most people just go with roll trim since the elevator trim is effective but hoping to see some examples of placement for the pitch servo for consideration.

 

Corbin

 

 


--

Corbin 
N33QR


--

Corbin 
N33QR

Re: Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

Corbin
 

Awesome....thank you!  Those are interesting looking plates to mount with.  Are the holes to maximize the contact with the adhesive used?  What adhesive is that?  pic 155559 for reference.

Corbin 

On July 1, 2020 at 6:26 PM, "Kevin Sheeley via groups.io" <kjsheely1@...> wrote:


Corbin,

See attached pictures for elevator servo. 155640 is the aileron servo.

My canopy hinges forward which give me easy access to my hinged instrument panel.

Kevin

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 08:09:22 PM EDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:


Thanks Kevin!  Would love to see your servo setup.

Corbin

On Jun 29, 2020, at 6:49 PM, Kevin Sheeley via groups.io <kjsheely1@...> wrote:


Corbin,

I will get some pictures for you this week. I can't seam to find mine.

BTW, I removed my spring bias system so now I use my reflexor for elevator pressure relief.

Kevin

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 10:04:32 AM EDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:


Thanks Jerry.  Appreciate it!

Corbin 

On June 29, 2020 at 9:03 AM, Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

Corbin,
I installed the Dynon D100 A/P back when the world was flat.  Next time to the airport I'll take pix for you.  My elevator control hookup has served me well.
Jerry Marstall 

-------- Original message --------
From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...>
Date: 6/29/20 9:41 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [Q-List] Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

I am planning out avionics upgrades and would like to consider having a pitch servo and not just roll.  Does anyone have any pics of their placement of the servo for the elevator controls?  I think most people just go with roll trim since the elevator trim is effective but hoping to see some examples of placement for the pitch servo for consideration.


Corbin




--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR




--

Corbin 
N33QR

Re: Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

Kevin Sheeley
 

Corbin,

See attached pictures for elevator servo. 155640 is the aileron servo.

My canopy hinges forward which give me easy access to my hinged instrument panel.

Kevin

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 08:09:22 PM EDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:


Thanks Kevin!  Would love to see your servo setup.

Corbin

On Jun 29, 2020, at 6:49 PM, Kevin Sheeley via groups.io <kjsheely1@...> wrote:


Corbin,

I will get some pictures for you this week. I can't seam to find mine.

BTW, I removed my spring bias system so now I use my reflexor for elevator pressure relief.

Kevin

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 10:04:32 AM EDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:


Thanks Jerry.  Appreciate it!

Corbin 

On June 29, 2020 at 9:03 AM, Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

Corbin,
I installed the Dynon D100 A/P back when the world was flat.  Next time to the airport I'll take pix for you.  My elevator control hookup has served me well.
Jerry Marstall 

-------- Original message --------
From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...>
Date: 6/29/20 9:41 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [Q-List] Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

I am planning out avionics upgrades and would like to consider having a pitch servo and not just roll.  Does anyone have any pics of their placement of the servo for the elevator controls?  I think most people just go with roll trim since the elevator trim is effective but hoping to see some examples of placement for the pitch servo for consideration.


Corbin




--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Fling thing

Jay Scheevel
 

Hey Kevin,

 

Is the Fling still on for July 17-20?

 

Cheers,

Jay

Re: Q2 Revmaster Cooling

Michael
 

You may also want to take a look at Mark Langford's website for info on VW heads and his mention in there on plenums. If you do a search on quickheads you can find some similar articles.

http://www.n56ml.com/n891jf/vw/

http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/plenum/
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Re: Q2 Revmaster Cooling

Jon Finley
 

Joe,

 

The basic premise of efficient engine cooling is to get the air into the cowling, slow it down/increase pressure, get it thru the cooling fins, speed it up/reduce pressure, and get it out of the cowling.  Sounds easy but it isn’t – especially with limited space.  Air wants to move from high pressure to low pressure. So, the cowl exit needs to provide that. The Citabria photo is a classic example of little to no engineering/design – just a big hole with a lip at the front to create low pressure. Probably works fine at 80mph and with no regard to efficiency.  At cruise, air tends to hit the nose of the aircraft at a slightly upward angle.  This means the lowest pressure area (near the firewall) is the top of the cowling and not the bottom.  I experimented top air exits years ago but just didn’t have enough instrumentation.  Most don’t do that because ‘it just isn’t done that way.’  As Dave says, very good baffles are important.  After that, I would focus on the cowling exit – much to be gained there IMO.

 

Oh, also… The VW engine was designed to cool something around 30hp with a fan. When extracting 70hp (stock heads), there just aren’t enough cooling fins for all situations.

 

Years ago, most of us had no idea what our engine was doing. We had one cylinder instrumented and assumed all were the same (they aren’t). Instrumentation is cheap these days (e.g. GRT EIS with all four cylinders instrumented) so no need to repeat those omissions (which led to problems).

 

Cowling design (and baffles) has been beat pretty severely by numerous groups – especially the boys doing the racing (check out Sam’s setup while at FOD). I suspect lots of good stuff can be found with a bit of Googling.


Jon Finley
Somewhere in the Southwest flying an RV-4

Re: Q2 Revmaster Cooling

Joe Hood
 

I'll look forward to August. The previous owner said he always flew with the cowl flap open. 


On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:23 AM Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Joe
I can't say whether or not the pictured outlet design is any better than the plans built cowl flap, which is what I have. By having nice fitting engine baffling really made the biggest difference in cooling, both CHT and oil temperature. In cool or cold OATs my oil temperature struggles to reach 160, so the option to close the flap to me is a benefit. My CHTs are steady at 340 to 350 degrees, and my oil temperature at cruise is 200 on the hottest days, never exceeding 210 degrees. If you purchased your Q2 with either version, it wouldn't be worth it to change it until you know how the climate and type of flying you do affects engine temps.
 I will be hosting the August Zoom meeting, and it will coincide with my annual so it would be a good time for you to see my setup. It's been a lot of trial and error over the 20 years or so that I've been flying my Q2, so hopefully some of the things I've done can save some time for you. I'm going to be going to Enid in September so if you fly in with your Q2, I'd love to see it. Even if you drive to FOD I can remove the cowl and try to help you out. 
Dave D


On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:27 PM, Joe Hood
<joe.hood@...> wrote:
I see the Citabria uses the same design.

IMG_3018.HEIC

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:50 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I think that Dave Dugas is your best source on this. His Revmaster has been flying a long time and he seems to cool it adequately.   Dave, you out there?

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Hood
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 3:09 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Q2 Revmaster Cooling

 

Q-talk 119 had a cowl mod. Is that the best way to cool a Revmaster?

 

http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1301:q-talk-119-cowl-mod-increases-cooling-and-mph-for-revmaster-turbo&catid=48&Itemid=101

Re: Q2 Revmaster Cooling

Dave Dugas
 

Hi Joe
I can't say whether or not the pictured outlet design is any better than the plans built cowl flap, which is what I have. By having nice fitting engine baffling really made the biggest difference in cooling, both CHT and oil temperature. In cool or cold OATs my oil temperature struggles to reach 160, so the option to close the flap to me is a benefit. My CHTs are steady at 340 to 350 degrees, and my oil temperature at cruise is 200 on the hottest days, never exceeding 210 degrees. If you purchased your Q2 with either version, it wouldn't be worth it to change it until you know how the climate and type of flying you do affects engine temps.
 I will be hosting the August Zoom meeting, and it will coincide with my annual so it would be a good time for you to see my setup. It's been a lot of trial and error over the 20 years or so that I've been flying my Q2, so hopefully some of the things I've done can save some time for you. I'm going to be going to Enid in September so if you fly in with your Q2, I'd love to see it. Even if you drive to FOD I can remove the cowl and try to help you out. 
Dave D


On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:27 PM, Joe Hood
<joe.hood@...> wrote:
I see the Citabria uses the same design.

IMG_3018.HEIC

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:50 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I think that Dave Dugas is your best source on this. His Revmaster has been flying a long time and he seems to cool it adequately.   Dave, you out there?

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Hood
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 3:09 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Q2 Revmaster Cooling

 

Q-talk 119 had a cowl mod. Is that the best way to cool a Revmaster?

 

http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1301:q-talk-119-cowl-mod-increases-cooling-and-mph-for-revmaster-turbo&catid=48&Itemid=101

Re: Q2 Revmaster Cooling

Joe Hood
 

I see the Citabria uses the same design.

IMG_3018.HEIC

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:50 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I think that Dave Dugas is your best source on this. His Revmaster has been flying a long time and he seems to cool it adequately.   Dave, you out there?

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Hood
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 3:09 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Q2 Revmaster Cooling

 

Q-talk 119 had a cowl mod. Is that the best way to cool a Revmaster?

 

http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1301:q-talk-119-cowl-mod-increases-cooling-and-mph-for-revmaster-turbo&catid=48&Itemid=101

Re: Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

Corbin
 

Thanks Kevin!  Would love to see your servo setup.

Corbin

On Jun 29, 2020, at 6:49 PM, Kevin Sheeley via groups.io <kjsheely1@...> wrote:


Corbin,

I will get some pictures for you this week. I can't seam to find mine.

BTW, I removed my spring bias system so now I use my reflexor for elevator pressure relief.

Kevin

On Monday, June 29, 2020, 10:04:32 AM EDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:


Thanks Jerry.  Appreciate it!

Corbin 

On June 29, 2020 at 9:03 AM, Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

Corbin,
I installed the Dynon D100 A/P back when the world was flat.  Next time to the airport I'll take pix for you.  My elevator control hookup has served me well.
Jerry Marstall 

-------- Original message --------
From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...>
Date: 6/29/20 9:41 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [Q-List] Placement Ideas for A/P Servo for Pitch Control

I am planning out avionics upgrades and would like to consider having a pitch servo and not just roll.  Does anyone have any pics of their placement of the servo for the elevator controls?  I think most people just go with roll trim since the elevator trim is effective but hoping to see some examples of placement for the pitch servo for consideration.


Corbin




--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR