Date   

Re: Coughlin Brake Mount Drawings

Sam Hoskins
 

Nice Mike. How about creating a folder for these parts in the Files section of the Q-list site? 


On Mon, Aug 10, 2020, 2:26 PM Michael <dunningme@...> wrote:
Managed to reverse engineer the JPG drawing for the Hoskins version of the Coughlin brake mod. Quite pleased with how everything turned out when stacked on top of the drawing. Tomorrow's trick will be getting these into DXF and over to the laser cutter software.

If anyone is interested in a 3D view of how the parts go together, let me know.



--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Re: weight

Corbin
 

I’ve learned a ton from this group.  One consistent theme sticks out all the time from those with great experience:  keep it simple and don’t fix what’s not broken.

Corbin

On Aug 13, 2020, at 8:23 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:


Just follow the plans.  A mid span hinge would serve what purpose? The ailerons are simple, best to keep them that way. They are a low maintenance item and as far as my experience goes, don't need fixing.

Sam

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 6:50 PM Dorothea Keats <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Flipped the wing upright today to install the aileron slots. Any
different ideas on mounting the ailerons?

How is the best way to make an aileron to fuselage fairing? I am setting
mine up a bit different than plans. I want the ailerons easily removable
to service bushings. I also have a hinge point mid aileron,  and am
thinking of installing fuselage mounted phenolic along with the inner
phenolic.  For the fuselage hinge point I  would like to drill it  out
to 1 inch.  Slide the 5/8 tubing mounted in the aileron into the
phenolic and then slide a one inch outside diameter bushing with  5/8
inside  into the phenolic and pop rivet it in place.  The inner
bellcrank has a washer on it that will push against the inner phenolic
to hold the aileron out. Any ideas and critisism is welcome along with
pictures.

  Take care-------------  Chris


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus





--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: weight

Sam Hoskins
 

Just follow the plans.  A mid span hinge would serve what purpose? The ailerons are simple, best to keep them that way. They are a low maintenance item and as far as my experience goes, don't need fixing.

Sam

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 6:50 PM Dorothea Keats <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Flipped the wing upright today to install the aileron slots. Any
different ideas on mounting the ailerons?

How is the best way to make an aileron to fuselage fairing? I am setting
mine up a bit different than plans. I want the ailerons easily removable
to service bushings. I also have a hinge point mid aileron,  and am
thinking of installing fuselage mounted phenolic along with the inner
phenolic.  For the fuselage hinge point I  would like to drill it  out
to 1 inch.  Slide the 5/8 tubing mounted in the aileron into the
phenolic and then slide a one inch outside diameter bushing with  5/8
inside  into the phenolic and pop rivet it in place.  The inner
bellcrank has a washer on it that will push against the inner phenolic
to hold the aileron out. Any ideas and critisism is welcome along with
pictures.

  Take care-------------  Chris


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus





aileron attachment

Paul Fisher
 

Sounds to me like you are trying to fix something that isn't broken.  The plans mounting of the ailerons works fine.  

I have to take the tailcone off to remove the ailerons, but I have to do that at annual anyway to inspect my battery, wiring, etc.  I just pull the ailerons off at the same time to re-grease (actually antiseize) the aileron pivots.

Just my $0.02.

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020, 18:50 Dorothea Keats <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Flipped the wing upright today to install the aileron slots. Any
different ideas on mounting the ailerons?

How is the best way to make an aileron to fuselage fairing? I am setting
mine up a bit different than plans. I want the ailerons easily removable
to service bushings. I also have a hinge point mid aileron,  and am
thinking of installing fuselage mounted phenolic along with the inner
phenolic.  For the fuselage hinge point I  would like to drill it  out
to 1 inch.  Slide the 5/8 tubing mounted in the aileron into the
phenolic and then slide a one inch outside diameter bushing with  5/8
inside  into the phenolic and pop rivet it in place.  The inner
bellcrank has a washer on it that will push against the inner phenolic
to hold the aileron out. Any ideas and critisism is welcome along with
pictures.

  Take care-------------  Chris


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus





Re: weight

Chris Walterson
 

Flipped the wing upright today to install the aileron slots. Any different ideas on mounting the ailerons?

How is the best way to make an aileron to fuselage fairing? I am setting mine up a bit different than plans. I want the ailerons easily removable to service bushings. I also have a hinge point mid aileron,  and am thinking of installing fuselage mounted phenolic along with the inner phenolic.  For the fuselage hinge point I  would like to drill it  out to 1 inch.  Slide the 5/8 tubing mounted in the aileron into the phenolic and then slide a one inch outside diameter bushing with  5/8 inside  into the phenolic and pop rivet it in place.  The inner bellcrank has a washer on it that will push against the inner phenolic to hold the aileron out. Any ideas and critisism is welcome along with pictures.

 Take care-------------  Chris


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Re: Any Ideas

Kevin Boddicker
 



On Aug 12, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Keith Welsh <klw494@...> wrote:

Hello,
I ran across this photo planted back in my files.
Does anyone know what became of this Q2?
Just curious
Thanx
<img244.pdf>

Jans with the Hawaiian shirt, and Steve Ham two to his left.
Buddys from Indianapolis. 
Don’t ask me why I remember all this trivia, but I can’t remember yesterday!!!
Sam Kittle’s ear!!!
Blue shirt, no idea!!!
That ends today’s lesson. Smoke um if you got um.




Re: Any Ideas

 

Hi Jay,
I saw the registration history too but wondered what gave reason for the deregistration.
I saw he is from Indy,
Thanks Sam for the info.  Definitely looks like a Polish name.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 2:28 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Looks like it was built by Les Hildebrand and is notw de-registered. Listed owner is not too far from you Keith.

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Welsh
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:40 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Any Ideas

 

Hello,

I ran across this photo planted back in my files.

Does anyone know what became of this Q2?

Just curious

Thanx


Re: Any Ideas

Sanjay
 

I ended up with a section of his fuselage as bonus, along with my Q project I picked up in Indiana back in 2008. I recognize the paint scheme.
Sanjay

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 3:42 PM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Janusz Jaworski is how he spells it at least.

Corbin Ge!ser

On August 12, 2020 at 2:40 PM, Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Boddicker and I were just talking about this guy.  Kevin remembered his name as Jans Joworsky.  

Paul

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 14:33 Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
That was the Polish fellow that bought this cute to with the goal of landing and each of the lower states is a fundraising drive for 911 victims.

Shortly after that accomplishment, he got caught in a microburst and the airplane was destroyed but I think that he was okay out of it. I can't remember his name.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 12:41 PM Keith Welsh <klw494@...> wrote:
Hello,
I ran across this photo planted back in my files.
Does anyone know what became of this Q2?
Just curious
Thanx




--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Reflexor and elevator control tubes

Kevin Boddicker
 

Richard,

I would leave the roll trim where it is. Wish I had mine like that. Now that it is flying I don’t want to take the time to “fix” it.
Stub arm was there when I got the project. I think it was for a left side stick. all those pieces were installed, but I took them out.

The servo is not a bad idea, however, I will probably never have an AP.

As you might say, Cheers!

Kevin
 

On Aug 11, 2020, at 3:26 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

Thanks Kevin,

Now thats interesting , my roll trim on the elevators is on the starbord side, it was there when I had it so left it there. Also there is a interfacing part that has stops built in so you cant go too far. I will take some pictures next time I am at the hanger.

So that poses the Question: does it matter which side the trim is fitted ?

Also on your aileron bellcrank is the stub arm sticking up for servo connection ?

Rich T.

On 09/08/2020 14:26, Kevin Boddicker wrote:
Richard,
You had asked about the reflexor and elevator push pull tubes and adjustment for roll trim.
I will attempt to attach some pics for you.
<DSCN1113.jpeg>

Reflexor installed. The aluminum holds the cookie in the ring, and applies the friction to keep it in place. The bolt at the top is a b-nut that captures the control wire. the control is a veneer cable in the cockpit.  
The stainless cable is for the rudder. 




<DSCN0810.jpeg>

Elevator control rods. If you look closely, you can see the friction tube that is on the left control rod. Just a piece of clear tube. The ID is tight on the metal parts. No movement with vibration. There is a left thread on one end and a right thread on the other.  Cardinal Rule! DO NOT ADJUST DURING FLIGHT. It would be a bad day if the tube came disconnected in flight. There are no jamb nuts on them. 520 hours and so far I have had no trouble.
Let me know if you have any questions.
<DSCN0817.jpeg>




Re: Any Ideas

Corbin
 

Janusz Jaworski is how he spells it at least.

Corbin Ge!ser

On August 12, 2020 at 2:40 PM, Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Boddicker and I were just talking about this guy.  Kevin remembered his name as Jans Joworsky.  

Paul

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 14:33 Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
That was the Polish fellow that bought this cute to with the goal of landing and each of the lower states is a fundraising drive for 911 victims.

Shortly after that accomplishment, he got caught in a microburst and the airplane was destroyed but I think that he was okay out of it. I can't remember his name.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 12:41 PM Keith Welsh <klw494@...> wrote:
Hello,
I ran across this photo planted back in my files.
Does anyone know what became of this Q2?
Just curious
Thanx




--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Any Ideas

Paul Fisher
 

Boddicker and I were just talking about this guy.  Kevin remembered his name as Jans Joworsky.  

Paul

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 14:33 Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
That was the Polish fellow that bought this cute to with the goal of landing and each of the lower states is a fundraising drive for 911 victims.

Shortly after that accomplishment, he got caught in a microburst and the airplane was destroyed but I think that he was okay out of it. I can't remember his name.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 12:41 PM Keith Welsh <klw494@...> wrote:
Hello,
I ran across this photo planted back in my files.
Does anyone know what became of this Q2?
Just curious
Thanx


Re: Any Ideas

Sam Hoskins
 

That was the Polish fellow that bought this cute to with the goal of landing and each of the lower states is a fundraising drive for 911 victims.

Shortly after that accomplishment, he got caught in a microburst and the airplane was destroyed but I think that he was okay out of it. I can't remember his name.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 12:41 PM Keith Welsh <klw494@...> wrote:
Hello,
I ran across this photo planted back in my files.
Does anyone know what became of this Q2?
Just curious
Thanx


Re: Any Ideas

Jay Scheevel
 

Looks like it was built by Les Hildebrand and is notw de-registered. Listed owner is not too far from you Keith.

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Welsh
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:40 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Any Ideas

 

Hello,

I ran across this photo planted back in my files.

Does anyone know what became of this Q2?

Just curious

Thanx


Any Ideas

 

Hello,
I ran across this photo planted back in my files.
Does anyone know what became of this Q2?
Just curious
Thanx


Re: Dave Dugas' Q-2 presentation upload on hold

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>
 

I agree. Jerry 

-------- Original message --------
From: Richard Thomson <richard@...>
Date: 8/12/20 10:39 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Dave Dugas' Q-2 presentation upload on hold

I like the format Sam, its informal so allows people to relax, both the audience and the presenter.

If there is anything the audience think has been missed, they just need to ask.

Rich t.

On 12/08/2020 14:19, Sam Hoskins wrote:
FYI - Paul Fisher put together a list of topics for the Q-Tour hosts to cover.  Things like purchase date, time to build, how much flying time, etc.  It's provided to the hosts before their tour.

Sam

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:23 PM Rik <Info@...> wrote:
Maybe.. You/someone can come up with a standardized list of questions that each owner can go over and answer initially about their particular aircraft. Cover all the topic's that everyone generally ask or generally feel's are important. (Often I see the owner start to speak about a certain thing and then a question gets presented and the owner never returns to the original point he/she was making) This could lead to a more complete organized presentation.

Then, they can film (cell phone is fine and everyone seems to have one) the walk/talk around while addressing their interest as well as the standardized list of questions/topics.

Once they finish this, the cell phone video can be uploaded and then as you mentioned a ZOOM meeting for everyone to get feedback.


Re: tire size (revised topic)

Richard Thomson
 

I had a look at my old wheel last night ( that was fitted when received, with the old thin leg) and that is a Mcleary 4 ply. Look like it had some use, there is no tread left but still inflated. Perhaps its not such a problem after all.

Cheers

Rich.

On 11/08/2020 19:56, Jay Scheevel wrote:
All of mine are 6 ply. Probably overkill, but that is what they were selling.

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 10:11 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] tire size (revised topic)

Thanks Jay,

I have the uprated leg, but set it up with the 10 inch tyre, to the + 3 Degree, it looks good on the wheels currently, but it is an option if the lift off needs assistance.

I was more meaning the ply rating, are you running 4, 6 or 8 ply ? As you are running 11" will be slightly different anyway.

Br

Rich.

On 11/08/2020 16:51, Jay Scheevel wrote:
Hi Richard,

Most people use the original 4" rim and tire size that came with the tri-gear kit (also most people have the heavier-duty Scott Swing/Velocity gear leg and fork). I initially used the 5" rim with the 11" tire that is intended for the main gear also on the nose. Plan was to have same on all three wheels and carry a spare to replace any of them. I changed my mind on the mains and went to the 500x5 on the mains, but left the 11" tire on the nose. Since you have the 500x5 mains, you may want to do this since it raises the nose a bit, which helps with rotation on take off and gives more prop clearance.

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Richard Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 6:10 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] weight

Hi Jay,

slightly off subject but have you done a survey of what Nose tyres people are using ?

Br

Richard.

On 11/08/2020 00:56, Jay Scheevel wrote:
I am thinking my main wing was 38 pounds and my canard was 60 (I have the LS-1 with carbon fiber spar).

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Dorothea Keats
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 4:14 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] weight

I just finished the top skin layup on the wing and am doing the canard top on Wednesday. Does anyone remember their weight for wing and canard Q200 at this stage? Curious as to where I stand.

Also, in the plans it says to put the rudder pedals where comfortable.
I am 5 10 1/2. Can someone around my height measure from the inside firewall to the mount point for their rudder pedals and let me know. It will save me a bit of figuring. Thanks Chris


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus















Re: Dave Dugas' Q-2 presentation upload on hold

Richard Thomson
 

I like the format Sam, its informal so allows people to relax, both the audience and the presenter.

If there is anything the audience think has been missed, they just need to ask.

Rich t.

On 12/08/2020 14:19, Sam Hoskins wrote:
FYI - Paul Fisher put together a list of topics for the Q-Tour hosts to cover.  Things like purchase date, time to build, how much flying time, etc.  It's provided to the hosts before their tour.

Sam

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:23 PM Rik <Info@...> wrote:
Maybe.. You/someone can come up with a standardized list of questions that each owner can go over and answer initially about their particular aircraft. Cover all the topic's that everyone generally ask or generally feel's are important. (Often I see the owner start to speak about a certain thing and then a question gets presented and the owner never returns to the original point he/she was making) This could lead to a more complete organized presentation.

Then, they can film (cell phone is fine and everyone seems to have one) the walk/talk around while addressing their interest as well as the standardized list of questions/topics.

Once they finish this, the cell phone video can be uploaded and then as you mentioned a ZOOM meeting for everyone to get feedback.


Re: Dave Dugas' Q-2 presentation upload on hold

Sam Hoskins
 

FYI - Paul Fisher put together a list of topics for the Q-Tour hosts to cover.  Things like purchase date, time to build, how much flying time, etc.  It's provided to the hosts before their tour.

Sam

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:23 PM Rik <Info@...> wrote:
Maybe.. You/someone can come up with a standardized list of questions that each owner can go over and answer initially about their particular aircraft. Cover all the topic's that everyone generally ask or generally feel's are important. (Often I see the owner start to speak about a certain thing and then a question gets presented and the owner never returns to the original point he/she was making) This could lead to a more complete organized presentation.

Then, they can film (cell phone is fine and everyone seems to have one) the walk/talk around while addressing their interest as well as the standardized list of questions/topics.

Once they finish this, the cell phone video can be uploaded and then as you mentioned a ZOOM meeting for everyone to get feedback.


Re: Dave Dugas' Q-2 presentation upload on hold

JMasal@...
 

EVrybody has work they want somebody else to do. Volunteers needed!


-----Original Message-----
From: Rik <Info@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 11, 2020 12:23 pm
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Dave Dugas' Q-2 presentation upload on hold

Maybe.. You/someone can come up with a standardized list of questions that each owner can go over and answer initially about their particular aircraft. Cover all the topic's that everyone generally ask or generally feel's are important. (Often I see the owner start to speak about a certain thing and then a question gets presented and the owner never returns to the original point he/she was making) This could lead to a more complete organized presentation.

Then, they can film (cell phone is fine and everyone seems to have one) the walk/talk around while addressing their interest as well as the standardized list of questions/topics.

Once they finish this, the cell phone video can be uploaded and then as you mentioned a ZOOM meeting for everyone to get feedback.


Re: tire size (revised topic)

Jay Scheevel
 

All of mine are 6 ply. Probably overkill, but that is what they were selling.

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 10:11 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] tire size (revised topic)

Thanks Jay,

I have the uprated leg, but set it up with the 10 inch tyre, to the + 3 Degree, it looks good on the wheels currently, but it is an option if the lift off needs assistance.

I was more meaning the ply rating, are you running 4, 6 or 8 ply ? As you are running 11" will be slightly different anyway.

Br

Rich.

On 11/08/2020 16:51, Jay Scheevel wrote:
Hi Richard,

Most people use the original 4" rim and tire size that came with the tri-gear kit (also most people have the heavier-duty Scott Swing/Velocity gear leg and fork). I initially used the 5" rim with the 11" tire that is intended for the main gear also on the nose. Plan was to have same on all three wheels and carry a spare to replace any of them. I changed my mind on the mains and went to the 500x5 on the mains, but left the 11" tire on the nose. Since you have the 500x5 mains, you may want to do this since it raises the nose a bit, which helps with rotation on take off and gives more prop clearance.

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Richard Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 6:10 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] weight

Hi Jay,

slightly off subject but have you done a survey of what Nose tyres people are using ?

Br

Richard.

On 11/08/2020 00:56, Jay Scheevel wrote:
I am thinking my main wing was 38 pounds and my canard was 60 (I have the LS-1 with carbon fiber spar).

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Dorothea Keats
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 4:14 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] weight

I just finished the top skin layup on the wing and am doing the canard top on Wednesday. Does anyone remember their weight for wing and canard Q200 at this stage? Curious as to where I stand.

Also, in the plans it says to put the rudder pedals where comfortable.
I am 5 10 1/2. Can someone around my height measure from the inside firewall to the mount point for their rudder pedals and let me know. It will save me a bit of figuring. Thanks Chris


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus












3301 - 3320 of 53199