Date   

Dynon AP install

Jay Scheevel
 

Hi Richard,

 

Here are the pictures of the Dynon auto pilot servos as installed. The pitch servo looks much more crowded than it really is because of the camera angle, which shows the rudder cable, flexible brake lines, fuel lines, wiring, and elevator trim mechanism, which are all mounted below the oversized header. For the servo, I built a right-angle mount bracket out of 5-BID with a radiused flox corner, then mounted it to the canard by bonding some studs to the wing and using nuts and washers to hold the angle bracket down. I put a couple stiff thick silicone bead strips under the end of the servo to keep it from flexing and vibrating on the mount.

 

The roll servo is mounted  through the center pillar of the FS 94 bulkhead. The servo is mounted flush with the forward face of the pillar. I countersunk (and reinforced with glass) two of the mount screws through the pillar, and I added two 4-BID “tabs” sticking out to the right of the pillar to accommodate the other two mount screws. Dynon sells a pushrod kit that you can custom size for the servos to keep the travel angle within the specified angle range. I used the standard SV32 servos on both elevator and roll.

 

Glad you asked me to take these pictures, because I just noticed that I did not tighten up the jam nut on the lower end of the roll servo pushrod!

 

Cheers,
Jay

 


Re: Success with LSE Install

Martin Skiby
 

You will be very happy with the setup!   Enjoy.

Martin

 


On Nov 21, 2020, at 7:14 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Murry has asked about idle and full-throttle RPM's so I thought I would update again since it is a quiet morning.

I am still adjusting idle but, so far, down as low as 690rpm it seemed to find a happy place.  The mixture has to be dialed in just right down low; too lean or too rich and it will die.  I could get it down around 550rpm once the engine was warmed up a bit but, again, the mixture was very sensitive and the engine would die if moved a little leaner or a little richer.  So more adjusting is needed. 

I haven't tied down the tail for a full-throttle test yet.

It sure runs SMOOTH though.  I decided to take off the brackets for the upper and lower DC mini sensors to have correct ones fabricated.  I hope to get those back next week and then get them back installed and running again.  

Corbin
--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Corbin
 

Murry has asked about idle and full-throttle RPM's so I thought I would update again since it is a quiet morning.

I am still adjusting idle but, so far, down as low as 690rpm it seemed to find a happy place.  The mixture has to be dialed in just right down low; too lean or too rich and it will die.  I could get it down around 550rpm once the engine was warmed up a bit but, again, the mixture was very sensitive and the engine would die if moved a little leaner or a little richer.  So more adjusting is needed. 

I haven't tied down the tail for a full-throttle test yet.

It sure runs SMOOTH though.  I decided to take off the brackets for the upper and lower DC mini sensors to have correct ones fabricated.  I hope to get those back next week and then get them back installed and running again.  

Corbin
--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Groups.IO website renewal time for the Q-List

Sam Hoskins
 

STOP!!!

Thanks everyone.  We just made the $110, I appreciate your donations.  If you missed your chance, you'll just have to wait till next year.

Sam


Re: Groups.IO website renewal time for the Q-List

Corbin
 

Sorry Sam, now I see your note about the size of donation.

Corbin

On Nov 18, 2020, at 4:27 PM, Brian Larick <blarick@...> wrote:

 Sent Sam.  Hopefully I did it correctly.

Brian

On Nov 18, 2020, at 16:30, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Hello All.

The annual renewal has come up for our little Quickie email list. When Verizon acquired Yahoo! they cut way back on their Groups section and as of next month they are completely killing it. Fortunately, Groups.IO to the rescue and we were able to retrieve many years of searchable Q-List conversations. 

Last year we got into Groups.IO through their introductory offer, $110/year. This has increased to $240, but fortunately we are grandfathered in at the intro price.  I think they have served us well.  There hasn't been any service interruptions, as far as I can tell and I think having a place for the photos and files is working out too. As of today, we have archived 11,930 messages. 

Also, feel free to open an album in the Photos section and upload relevant photos.  I just ask that you use your real name.  Use the Files section to upload relevant documents. Again, our home page is at https://q-list.groups.io/g/main 

Like last year, if you feel like donating a couple of bucks to keep us going, send a small contribution via PayPal for sam.hoskins@.... Be sure to call it a gift, or PP will change for the donation.   Any big donations will be politely returned. Like last year, if/when we hit the $110 amount I'll stop the solicitation and make refunds to anyone who doesn't make the cut-off.

Thanks everyone, and keep building.  It's worth it!  And oh yeah, be safe.

Sam Hoskins
N202SH Q-200

--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Groups.IO website renewal time for the Q-List

Brian Larick
 

Sent Sam.  Hopefully I did it correctly.

Brian

On Nov 18, 2020, at 16:30, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Hello All.

The annual renewal has come up for our little Quickie email list. When Verizon acquired Yahoo! they cut way back on their Groups section and as of next month they are completely killing it. Fortunately, Groups.IO to the rescue and we were able to retrieve many years of searchable Q-List conversations. 

Last year we got into Groups.IO through their introductory offer, $110/year. This has increased to $240, but fortunately we are grandfathered in at the intro price.  I think they have served us well.  There hasn't been any service interruptions, as far as I can tell and I think having a place for the photos and files is working out too. As of today, we have archived 11,930 messages. 

Also, feel free to open an album in the Photos section and upload relevant photos.  I just ask that you use your real name.  Use the Files section to upload relevant documents. Again, our home page is at https://q-list.groups.io/g/main 

Like last year, if you feel like donating a couple of bucks to keep us going, send a small contribution via PayPal for sam.hoskins@.... Be sure to call it a gift, or PP will change for the donation.   Any big donations will be politely returned. Like last year, if/when we hit the $110 amount I'll stop the solicitation and make refunds to anyone who doesn't make the cut-off.

Thanks everyone, and keep building.  It's worth it!  And oh yeah, be safe.

Sam Hoskins
N202SH Q-200


Groups.IO website renewal time for the Q-List

Sam Hoskins
 

Hello All.

The annual renewal has come up for our little Quickie email list. When Verizon acquired Yahoo! they cut way back on their Groups section and as of next month they are completely killing it. Fortunately, Groups.IO to the rescue and we were able to retrieve many years of searchable Q-List conversations. 

Last year we got into Groups.IO through their introductory offer, $110/year. This has increased to $240, but fortunately we are grandfathered in at the intro price.  I think they have served us well.  There hasn't been any service interruptions, as far as I can tell and I think having a place for the photos and files is working out too. As of today, we have archived 11,930 messages. 

Also, feel free to open an album in the Photos section and upload relevant photos.  I just ask that you use your real name.  Use the Files section to upload relevant documents. Again, our home page is at https://q-list.groups.io/g/main 

Like last year, if you feel like donating a couple of bucks to keep us going, send a small contribution via PayPal for sam.hoskins@.... Be sure to call it a gift, or PP will change for the donation.   Any big donations will be politely returned. Like last year, if/when we hit the $110 amount I'll stop the solicitation and make refunds to anyone who doesn't make the cut-off.

Thanks everyone, and keep building.  It's worth it!  And oh yeah, be safe.

Sam Hoskins
N202SH Q-200


Re: Flight report

Richard Thomson
 

    Yep, been on it since 1996, with holidays in between.

    As the TriQ is almost there the lockdown allowed more time to get those nasty little jobs done, and one by one knock em down.

   The fins have been a long road, but now in a final sub assembly form ready to fit and skin.

    Engine mount and firewall fitted ( plenty of space for  Electronic ignition and the RDAC).😛

   But still loads to do.Viggen
        Mount Oct 20

    Rich T.

On 17/11/2020 15:50, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Hi Richard,

 

Did not know you also had a Viggen project. That is unique! I am using Dynon servos and autopilot. So far, so good.

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 2:33 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Flight report

 

Thanks Jay, I will look forward to seeing them. What servos are you using ?

We have been on lockdown for 2 weeks so not done anything on the TriQ, but have been continuing to build the twin fins for the Viggen, that has been hard work as the plans are various scales so you have to play with sizing all the time to get it right. Will swap you some pics when they are done.

Br

Rich T.

On 16/11/2020 16:51, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Hi Richard,

 

Oddly enough and quite out of character, I did not take any pictures of the install. I only took pictures of the lables, so that I could register warranty on them. I will take some pics next time I am out at the hangar, and post those for anyone who is interested. They seem to be working out quite well.

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 2:30 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Flight report

 

Pleased to hear you are having fun Jay, seems no time ago it was your first flight.

Have you put up any pictures of your servo install ?

Br

Rich T.

 

On 15/11/2020 21:40, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Hi All,

 

Had not been up in my Q for a couple weeks, so I thought I would take advantage of a nice calm, cool, crystal-clear fall day to do a short local flight. I have recently finished the final paint on my wheel fairings, so it is nice to have the airframe “finished”. Although it is a homebuilt, so I guess you are never really finished, right Sammy?

 

It was my first flight in a long time where the density altitude was less than the field altitude. DA was 4250 and field elevation is 4750 MSL.  So I guess you could call it a “low altitude” shake out flight for me. The good thing about cooler temperatures (5 degrees C at 1000’ AGL) is that it allows me to close up my radiator air exit doors and reduce drag. That adds some nice speed, so once I got up and level, I was showing over 170 mph TAS at about 70% power. Pulling it back to economy cruise (55% power), still gave me 160 mph TAS, which is really a nice speed at 5.5 gph!  The scenery is tremendous out here any time of year, but the lower sun angles make it really pop. Had to take a little opportunity to take it in, so I flew along the west edge of our valley (Grand Junction, CO) and flew down over the cemetery where my dad is resting and made a tight circle and couple of wing wags to say hello. The plane really likes about a 35 degree turn angle. It kind of “locks in” at that angle.

 

At my last condition inspection, I installed the autopilot servos, so I have been playing with the autopilot for a month or so. It is really nice to have, and having it hold altitude and heading is a real pleasure.  That gives you a chance to play with the engine settings without holding the stick. And magically, you can just twist the heading bug to make a turn. I have not used it for a multileg trip yet, but if I get the opportunity in one of the colder months, it will be nice.

 

Since it is starting to get chilly here, it is worth mentioning that I take my cabin heat air off the back side of the left and right radiators, so when I close up the exit air doors,  I get extra pressure on the hot air source into the cabin. That is a nice feature of winter flying for me, since that is the time that you are flying with the radiator exits mostly closed up.

 

My engine is really running smoothly and the rest of the plane is functioning as designed, so I am a happy homebuilder and now have 121 hours on the plane. Hoping to get out and see some of you in 2021, and maybe make that long dreamt of trip to OSH this year.

 

For those of you in Canada, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, for those of you in the US, Happy Thanksgiving,  11 days from now, and for everyone else, I hope you have a nice November 26th!

 

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ, 121 hours.


Re: Success with LSE Install

Rick Hole
 

It is quite pleasant to be of help.  I have installed oodles of these and made all the mistakes in the first ones.  Klaus is indeed a challenge and once in a while makes a human error but you will be happy with his product now debugged.  
You have an army of experience on this forum.
Rick Hole 

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 12:58 PM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
You guys were right....the tach was still on 1.0 instead of 2.0 and I am now idling at 1250 so the math works out perfect.  I will adjust idle here in a few minutes and then will need to start troubleshooting why one side is running very rough during the mag check.  I have checked to make sure all wires are secure on the plugs and will pull the plugs to double-check gap after it cools down.

Martin - turns out Klaus sent the wrong brackets and holes drilled wrong.  No spark at all if installed aligned with the markings on the magnet plate.  We modified the holes and are still using the wrong bracket.   Just need to make certain the sensors are secure in modified holes before I take to the skies.  Also looking into new brackets to replace these.  
--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Bruce Crain
 

Fantastic Corbin! Hope we can cross paths someday soon!
Bruce
On Nov 16, 2020, at 11:07 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just a quick video to share that I finally had success with the Lightspeed electronic ignition install.

Sure runs SMOOTH. RPMs were high so I’m hoping that’s just an adjustment on the throttle body.

Very glad to have the engine running again.



Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR





<Video.mov>
____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&;utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Conan O'Brien Is Exiting Late-Night Talk Show Biz
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fb4394be024b394b46aast02duc1
Biden Makes Picks for Big White House Roles
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fb4394cc5b1394b46aast02duc2
Footnote in Vaccine News Credits a Familiar Face
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fb4394c2dd07394b46aast02duc3


Re: Ram Air Vent Tube and Pitot Tube Cover

Bruce Crain
 

1/4” should get you fixed up with ram air.  You can just use some Clark foam and make a filet behind the tubes to make them more aerodynamic and stiffen them for a solid mount.
Bruce


On Nov 16, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:


Can anyone point me to some covers that fit our little pitot tube and fuel vent tubes?

Bruce - I just watched the Zoom and if you remember the size and source for the one you had on top for your ram vent tube please let me know.

Thanks,

Corbin Ge!ser

--

Corbin 
N33QR



Re: Success with LSE Install

Martin Skiby
 

Well you would need to talk to him about that and schedule it, but I am sure he would not mind at all.  He is very busy and I am very proud that so many people trust in him!

He has found issues with several planes that had been overlooked.  

-----------------------------------------

From: "Corbin via groups.io"
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday November 17 2020 11:15:12AM
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install

Funny you mention coming to see you guys.  I was thinking the same thing on the drive out to the hangar today.  Jason could do my conditional!

Corbin Ge!ser

On November 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM, Martin Skiby <mskiby@...> wrote:

Wow,  Well OK that is good to know.  I wonder why he has two, but OK,

Glad it worked out and enjoy the lower fuel burn and better performance as well!!!
 Come out and see us sometime!!



-----------------------------------------

From: "Corbin via groups.io"
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday November 17 2020 10:58:57AM
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install

You guys were right....the tach was still on 1.0 instead of 2.0 and I am now idling at 1250 so the math works out perfect.  I will adjust idle here in a few minutes and then will need to start troubleshooting why one side is running very rough during the mag check.  I have checked to make sure all wires are secure on the plugs and will pull the plugs to double-check gap after it cools down.

Martin - turns out Klaus sent the wrong brackets and holes drilled wrong.  No spark at all if installed aligned with the markings on the magnet plate.  We modified the holes and are still using the wrong bracket.   Just need to make certain the sensors are secure in modified holes before I take to the skies.  Also looking into new brackets to replace these.  
--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Corbin
 

Funny you mention coming to see you guys.  I was thinking the same thing on the drive out to the hangar today.  Jason could do my conditional!

Corbin Ge!ser

On November 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM, Martin Skiby <mskiby@...> wrote:

Wow,  Well OK that is good to know.  I wonder why he has two, but OK,

Glad it worked out and enjoy the lower fuel burn and better performance as well!!!
 Come out and see us sometime!!



-----------------------------------------

From: "Corbin via groups.io"
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday November 17 2020 10:58:57AM
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install

You guys were right....the tach was still on 1.0 instead of 2.0 and I am now idling at 1250 so the math works out perfect.  I will adjust idle here in a few minutes and then will need to start troubleshooting why one side is running very rough during the mag check.  I have checked to make sure all wires are secure on the plugs and will pull the plugs to double-check gap after it cools down.

Martin - turns out Klaus sent the wrong brackets and holes drilled wrong.  No spark at all if installed aligned with the markings on the magnet plate.  We modified the holes and are still using the wrong bracket.   Just need to make certain the sensors are secure in modified holes before I take to the skies.  Also looking into new brackets to replace these.  
--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Martin Skiby
 

Wow,  Well OK that is good to know.  I wonder why he has two, but OK,

Glad it worked out and enjoy the lower fuel burn and better performance as well!!!
 Come out and see us sometime!!


-----------------------------------------

From: "Corbin via groups.io"
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday November 17 2020 10:58:57AM
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install

You guys were right....the tach was still on 1.0 instead of 2.0 and I am now idling at 1250 so the math works out perfect.  I will adjust idle here in a few minutes and then will need to start troubleshooting why one side is running very rough during the mag check.  I have checked to make sure all wires are secure on the plugs and will pull the plugs to double-check gap after it cools down.

Martin - turns out Klaus sent the wrong brackets and holes drilled wrong.  No spark at all if installed aligned with the markings on the magnet plate.  We modified the holes and are still using the wrong bracket.   Just need to make certain the sensors are secure in modified holes before I take to the skies.  Also looking into new brackets to replace these.  
--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Corbin
 

You guys were right....the tach was still on 1.0 instead of 2.0 and I am now idling at 1250 so the math works out perfect.  I will adjust idle here in a few minutes and then will need to start troubleshooting why one side is running very rough during the mag check.  I have checked to make sure all wires are secure on the plugs and will pull the plugs to double-check gap after it cools down.

Martin - turns out Klaus sent the wrong brackets and holes drilled wrong.  No spark at all if installed aligned with the markings on the magnet plate.  We modified the holes and are still using the wrong bracket.   Just need to make certain the sensors are secure in modified holes before I take to the skies.  Also looking into new brackets to replace these.  
--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Martin Skiby
 

Sorry if I missed the source of the issues.  Corbin,  Glad it worked out and would be interested to know what you found to be the issue.  On the tach, if you have it on the ignition make sure it is set to read one or two revs per firing.  I just had that happen on my new pontoon boat as they has it set wrong.

Glad you got her going and you will LOVE having the electronic ignition..

-----------------------------------------

From: "Corbin via groups.io"
To: "main@Q-List.groups.io Group Moderators"
Cc:
Sent: Monday November 16 2020 9:07:41PM
Subject: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install

Just a quick video to share that I finally had success with the Lightspeed electronic ignition install.

Sure runs SMOOTH. RPMs were high so I’m hoping that’s just an adjustment on the throttle body.

Very glad to have the engine running again.



Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR







Re: Success with LSE Install

Rick Hole
 

Your ignition module is providing 2 pulses per revolution (see page 43 of Plasma II/III installation manual).  You would need to set the tach display for that.  Probably it has been set by default to 1/rev in which case it is reading double.  Your 2500 RPM is really 1250.  And then you will have it.

 

Rick Hole

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io [mailto:main@Q-List.groups.io] On Behalf Of Corbin via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:59 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install

 

The tach was reading 2500 which is more than my RPM at rotation.  It felt closer to 1000 RPM.  My handheld tach couldn't read the reflective tape so it could be  it was just too dark last night.   I will get better data today hopefully.

 

I will also read the tach manual again to make sure the settings are right.  Glad you mentioned that.

 

Corbin Ge!ser


On November 17, 2020 at 8:53 AM, Rick Hole <r.hole@...> wrote:

Can you tell US how mucho higher? If for example it reads at 1.5x 2x etc it may be a setting on your tach display.

 

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 12:56 AM Murry Rozansky <MIRCO@...> wrote:

RPM at idle or full throttle?


-----Original Message-----
>From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io>
>Sent: Nov 16, 2020 9:07 PM
>To: "main@Q-List.groups.io Group Moderators" <main@q-list.groups.io>
>Subject: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install
>
>Just a quick video to share that I finally had success with the Lightspeed electronic ignition install.
>
>Sure runs SMOOTH.  RPMs were high so I’m hoping that’s just an adjustment on the throttle body.
>
>Very glad to have the engine running again.
>
>
>
>Corbin
>
>--
>Corbin
>N33QR
>
>
>
>
>





--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Leif Johnson
 

Remember your LSE fires each coil twice as often as your mag. It is actually firing each plug on the exhaust stroke in addition to the compression stroke.  I’m sure you knew that but it’s easy to overlook when programming your tach.  Good luck.


On Nov 17, 2020, at 10:24, Rick Hole <r.hole@...> wrote:


The tach display will have settings for various number of pulses per rev. When you get the right setting your RPM will be correct.  It will never be just a bit off. Good luck.  You are almost there!


On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 8:59 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The tach was reading 2500 which is more than my RPM at rotation.  It felt closer to 1000 RPM.  My handheld tach couldn't read the reflective tape so it could be  it was just too dark last night.   I will get better data today hopefully.
 
I will also read the tach manual again to make sure the settings are right.  Glad you mentioned that.

Corbin Ge!ser

On November 17, 2020 at 8:53 AM, Rick Hole <r.hole@...> wrote:

Can you tell US how mucho higher? If for example it reads at 1.5x 2x etc it may be a setting on your tach display.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 12:56 AM Murry Rozansky <MIRCO@...> wrote:
RPM at idle or full throttle?


-----Original Message-----
>From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io>
>Sent: Nov 16, 2020 9:07 PM
>To: "main@Q-List.groups.io Group Moderators" <main@q-list.groups.io>
>Subject: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install
>
>Just a quick video to share that I finally had success with the Lightspeed electronic ignition install.
>
>Sure runs SMOOTH.  RPMs were high so I’m hoping that’s just an adjustment on the throttle body.
>
>Very glad to have the engine running again.
>
>
>
>Corbin
>
>--
>Corbin
>N33QR
>
>
>
>
>






--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Success with LSE Install

Rick Hole
 

The tach display will have settings for various number of pulses per rev. When you get the right setting your RPM will be correct.  It will never be just a bit off. Good luck.  You are almost there!


On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 8:59 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The tach was reading 2500 which is more than my RPM at rotation.  It felt closer to 1000 RPM.  My handheld tach couldn't read the reflective tape so it could be  it was just too dark last night.   I will get better data today hopefully.
 
I will also read the tach manual again to make sure the settings are right.  Glad you mentioned that.

Corbin Ge!ser

On November 17, 2020 at 8:53 AM, Rick Hole <r.hole@...> wrote:

Can you tell US how mucho higher? If for example it reads at 1.5x 2x etc it may be a setting on your tach display.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 12:56 AM Murry Rozansky <MIRCO@...> wrote:
RPM at idle or full throttle?


-----Original Message-----
>From: "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io>
>Sent: Nov 16, 2020 9:07 PM
>To: "main@Q-List.groups.io Group Moderators" <main@q-list.groups.io>
>Subject: [Q-List] Success with LSE Install
>
>Just a quick video to share that I finally had success with the Lightspeed electronic ignition install.
>
>Sure runs SMOOTH.  RPMs were high so I’m hoping that’s just an adjustment on the throttle body.
>
>Very glad to have the engine running again.
>
>
>
>Corbin
>
>--
>Corbin
>N33QR
>
>
>
>
>






--

Corbin 
N33QR


Re: Flight report

Jay Scheevel
 

Hi Richard,

 

Did not know you also had a Viggen project. That is unique! I am using Dynon servos and autopilot. So far, so good.

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 2:33 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Flight report

 

Thanks Jay, I will look forward to seeing them. What servos are you using ?

We have been on lockdown for 2 weeks so not done anything on the TriQ, but have been continuing to build the twin fins for the Viggen, that has been hard work as the plans are various scales so you have to play with sizing all the time to get it right. Will swap you some pics when they are done.

Br

Rich T.

On 16/11/2020 16:51, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Hi Richard,

 

Oddly enough and quite out of character, I did not take any pictures of the install. I only took pictures of the lables, so that I could register warranty on them. I will take some pics next time I am out at the hangar, and post those for anyone who is interested. They seem to be working out quite well.

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 2:30 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Flight report

 

Pleased to hear you are having fun Jay, seems no time ago it was your first flight.

Have you put up any pictures of your servo install ?

Br

Rich T.

 

On 15/11/2020 21:40, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Hi All,

 

Had not been up in my Q for a couple weeks, so I thought I would take advantage of a nice calm, cool, crystal-clear fall day to do a short local flight. I have recently finished the final paint on my wheel fairings, so it is nice to have the airframe “finished”. Although it is a homebuilt, so I guess you are never really finished, right Sammy?

 

It was my first flight in a long time where the density altitude was less than the field altitude. DA was 4250 and field elevation is 4750 MSL.  So I guess you could call it a “low altitude” shake out flight for me. The good thing about cooler temperatures (5 degrees C at 1000’ AGL) is that it allows me to close up my radiator air exit doors and reduce drag. That adds some nice speed, so once I got up and level, I was showing over 170 mph TAS at about 70% power. Pulling it back to economy cruise (55% power), still gave me 160 mph TAS, which is really a nice speed at 5.5 gph!  The scenery is tremendous out here any time of year, but the lower sun angles make it really pop. Had to take a little opportunity to take it in, so I flew along the west edge of our valley (Grand Junction, CO) and flew down over the cemetery where my dad is resting and made a tight circle and couple of wing wags to say hello. The plane really likes about a 35 degree turn angle. It kind of “locks in” at that angle.

 

At my last condition inspection, I installed the autopilot servos, so I have been playing with the autopilot for a month or so. It is really nice to have, and having it hold altitude and heading is a real pleasure.  That gives you a chance to play with the engine settings without holding the stick. And magically, you can just twist the heading bug to make a turn. I have not used it for a multileg trip yet, but if I get the opportunity in one of the colder months, it will be nice.

 

Since it is starting to get chilly here, it is worth mentioning that I take my cabin heat air off the back side of the left and right radiators, so when I close up the exit air doors,  I get extra pressure on the hot air source into the cabin. That is a nice feature of winter flying for me, since that is the time that you are flying with the radiator exits mostly closed up.

 

My engine is really running smoothly and the rest of the plane is functioning as designed, so I am a happy homebuilder and now have 121 hours on the plane. Hoping to get out and see some of you in 2021, and maybe make that long dreamt of trip to OSH this year.

 

For those of you in Canada, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, for those of you in the US, Happy Thanksgiving,  11 days from now, and for everyone else, I hope you have a nice November 26th!

 

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ, 121 hours.

421 - 440 of 51174