Date   

Re: GPS Dimension

Bruce Crain
 

Does it need a replacement battery?
Bruce


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:16:35 GMT

Forgot to mention the 660 battery only lasts about an hour.  I didn’t have it plugged in enroute to your place and it was dead before my first stop.  Even says in the quick start guide to plug it in to power.  The guide didn’t say anything about a short life.  The Garmin guy told me the battery was never intended to last very long.  
The supplied battery is 1960mAh.  A 2300mAh battery can be bought on eBay.  I mainly got it as a backup for my FlyQ.  And yes, it IS a really nice gps


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:36:07 GMT

Hey Bruce,
Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did.  Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages.  So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them.  Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets.  
Yuk!!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:33:14 GMT

The 296 is why I now have the 660.
It would not update and the date was 1999.  
I called Garmin, was told that series of GPS’s (196/296) have gone further into the future than expected and is why the dates did not roll over.  
He hooked up to mine and it did update but not the date.  With only 9 days left in the cycle he just let me have the update.  

However, he told me he couldn’t guarantee it would take one or more updates but eventually it would be an expensive paper weight.  I see ‘‘em advertised on eBay for $200 sooooo. I think off it’ll go.  


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Bruce Crain" <jcrain2@...>
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:05:49 -0500

I have the 660 and love it!  It connects to my “True Track auto pilot.  I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system.  It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

To you Sam H,You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.Thought you might like to know.Keith








____________________________________________________________
Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457



____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Investigators: Suspect's Bloody License Left in SUV With Bodies
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0442807230436388st01vuc1
One COVID Model Suggests Things Are About to Get Better
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0444707a30436388st01vuc2
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb04466a2e30436388st01vuc3






Re: GPS Dimension

Bruce Crain
 

Quick start only Keith so I went online and had my 660 in hand and worked at understanding it.  I also took the 660 outside with it plugged into the AC adapter so I could get satelites and practice using it.  I also installed it and coupled it to the Trutrak auto pilot (in my RV6) so I had to get the NMEA to talk with the same baud rate as the 660.
 
I also have the 296 (inn my TRiQ) and am wondering if I can just use the same 660 with my Trio EZ pilot in my TriQ200.  I think the TriQ can be programed to talk with the 660 instead of the other way around.  The Trutrak talks in 9600 baud rate to if the Trio EZ will talk with the same baud rate I will be able to use it.  It quick disconnects from the harness I wired into the RV so it should be a piece of cake to set them up.  I hope.  Then all I need is an extra hard wire harness to put in the TriQ200
 
Bruce


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:36:07 GMT

Hey Bruce,
Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did.  Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages.  So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them.  Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets.  
Yuk!!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Re: GPS Dimension

Bruce Crain
 

G3X seems a bit large?  although it replaces a lot of other instruments so it could save you room perhaps?
The are a bit pricey but then again it would serve a lot of other instruments that you could do without.
Bruce


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Cody" <cody.craig1985@...>
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 18:06:59 -0500

I'm debating between the dual G5 or the G3x system as I build..... I can see benefits and downfalls either way.  

 

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, 5:38 PM Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
Hey Bruce,
Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did.  Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages.  So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them.  Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets. 
Yuk!!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:33:14 GMT

The 296 is why I now have the 660.
It would not update and the date was 1999. 
I called Garmin, was told that series of GPS’s (196/296) have gone further into the future than expected and is why the dates did not roll over. 
He hooked up to mine and it did update but not the date.  With only 9 days left in the cycle he just let me have the update. 

However, he told me he couldn’t guarantee it would take one or more updates but eventually it would be an expensive paper weight.  I see ‘‘em advertised on eBay for $200 sooooo. I think off it’ll go. 


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Bruce Crain" <jcrain2@...>
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:05:49 -0500

I have the 660 and love it!  It connects to my “True Track auto pilot.  I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system.  It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

To you Sam H,You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.Thought you might like to know.Keith








____________________________________________________________
Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457



____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Investigators: Suspect's Bloody License Left in SUV With Bodies
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0442807230436388st01vuc1
One COVID Model Suggests Things Are About to Get Better
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0444707a30436388st01vuc2
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb04466a2e30436388st01vuc3




Re: Is there a way I can remain a part of the group and not receive an email everytime anyone writes anything.

Rick Hole
 

I took a screenshot for you.  Look at the very bottom of this email.  You should find Your Subscription.  Click on that.  It will take you to the website where you can change your preferences. 
The current level of activity is way higher than normal and always is after a major event.  It will settle back soon enough 

 Rick


On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, 3:51 PM Brian Hutchinson via groups.io <brianmh13=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Where is the subscription/"you're subscription"/settings/daily digest?


Re: Emergency landing witnessed

Bruce Crain
 

I thought you kept pretty cool also Rodney.  Cooler heads are so much better in those situations.
Bruce


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Rodney Herzig" <zzigster@...>
To: "main@q-list.groups.io" <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Emergency landing witnessed
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:35:14 +0000

Your welcome Sam. Dave thought the group may be able to learn something from it. He did an excellent job of keeping his cool and getting the plane on the ground safely. 

 
Rod

 

On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
Thanks for sharing that Rodney.
 
Sam

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 8:49 PM Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:
https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR




Re: GPS Dimension

 

Forgot to mention the 660 battery only lasts about an hour. I didn’t have it plugged in enroute to your place and it was dead before my first stop. Even says in the quick start guide to plug it in to power. The guide didn’t say anything about a short life. The Garmin guy told me the battery was never intended to last very long.
The supplied battery is 1960mAh. A 2300mAh battery can be bought on eBay. I mainly got it as a backup for my FlyQ. And yes, it IS a really nice gps

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:36:07 GMT

Hey Bruce,
Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did. Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages. So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them. Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets.
Yuk!!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:33:14 GMT

The 296 is why I now have the 660.
It would not update and the date was 1999.
I called Garmin, was told that series of GPS’s (196/296) have gone further into the future than expected and is why the dates did not roll over.
He hooked up to mine and it did update but not the date. With only 9 days left in the cycle he just let me have the update.

However, he told me he couldn’t guarantee it would take one or more updates but eventually it would be an expensive paper weight. I see ‘‘em advertised on eBay for $200 sooooo. I think off it’ll go.


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Bruce Crain" <jcrain2@...>
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:05:49 -0500

I have the 660 and love it! It connects to my “True Track auto pilot. I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system. It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

To you Sam H,You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.Thought you might like to know.Keith








____________________________________________________________
Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457



____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Investigators: Suspect's Bloody License Left in SUV With Bodies
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0442807230436388st01vuc1
One COVID Model Suggests Things Are About to Get Better
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0444707a30436388st01vuc2
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb04466a2e30436388st01vuc3


Re: GPS Dimension

 

I'm debating between the dual G5 or the G3x system as I build..... I can see benefits and downfalls either way.  


On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, 5:38 PM Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
Hey Bruce,
Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did.  Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages.  So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them.  Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets. 
Yuk!!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:33:14 GMT

The 296 is why I now have the 660.
It would not update and the date was 1999. 
I called Garmin, was told that series of GPS’s (196/296) have gone further into the future than expected and is why the dates did not roll over. 
He hooked up to mine and it did update but not the date.  With only 9 days left in the cycle he just let me have the update. 

However, he told me he couldn’t guarantee it would take one or more updates but eventually it would be an expensive paper weight.  I see ‘‘em advertised on eBay for $200 sooooo. I think off it’ll go. 


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Bruce Crain" <jcrain2@...>
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:05:49 -0500

I have the 660 and love it!  It connects to my “True Track auto pilot.  I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system.  It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

To you Sam H,You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.Thought you might like to know.Keith








____________________________________________________________
Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457



____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Investigators: Suspect's Bloody License Left in SUV With Bodies
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0442807230436388st01vuc1
One COVID Model Suggests Things Are About to Get Better
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0444707a30436388st01vuc2
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb04466a2e30436388st01vuc3






Re: GPS Dimension

 

Hey Bruce,
Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did. Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages. So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them. Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets.
Yuk!!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Keith Welsh" <kw544@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:33:14 GMT

The 296 is why I now have the 660.
It would not update and the date was 1999.
I called Garmin, was told that series of GPS’s (196/296) have gone further into the future than expected and is why the dates did not roll over.
He hooked up to mine and it did update but not the date. With only 9 days left in the cycle he just let me have the update.

However, he told me he couldn’t guarantee it would take one or more updates but eventually it would be an expensive paper weight. I see ‘‘em advertised on eBay for $200 sooooo. I think off it’ll go.


---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Bruce Crain" <jcrain2@...>
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:05:49 -0500

I have the 660 and love it! It connects to my “True Track auto pilot. I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system. It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

To you Sam H,You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.Thought you might like to know.Keith








____________________________________________________________
Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457



____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Investigators: Suspect's Bloody License Left in SUV With Bodies
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0442807230436388st01vuc1
One COVID Model Suggests Things Are About to Get Better
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0444707a30436388st01vuc2
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb04466a2e30436388st01vuc3


Re: "Field Of Dreams" 2021 Report

Paul Fisher
 

I thought Don Stewart named it Field of Dreams one year at Ottawa.  Although it could have been Dave Richardson.  I just remember it was a long time ago!!

Paul

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, 14:45 Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
Nope!  Although that’s true but I meant who named our event “Field Of Dreams”?  Terry Sickler coined the phrase “Ottowow” back when we were in Ottawa, KS.  Sooo keep digging!
Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:11 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:



We even had “Shoeless Dave” McConahy (he flies without his shoes).

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Hole via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 8:03 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] "Field Of Dreams" 2021 Report

 

Field of Dreams, a movie starring Kevin Costner.  

“If you build it, they will come!”

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

 

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021, 3:32 PM Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

Howdy all from balmy Oklahoma!

Field Of Dreams is "in the book"!  Trivia question, where did the Field Of Dreams title come from?  Quickies for $200!  

 

Over all we had 11 States represented NM, AZ, IA, IN, MASS, CA, OK, CO,IL, KS, UT!

6 Q's with 3-TriQ 200. 2-Q2, 1-Q200.

9-Other planes

Total planes-15

 

A total of 29 people attended the event!

 

We always learn something when at FOD and this year it was a learning experience for a group of Q-Bees who drove to Pawhuska, OK to help Dave Dugas load his Q2 into a large box truck and send him off to Orange, Massachusetts to rebuild a couple of things.  He will need a new engine and repair to the bottom of the belly.  We are pulling for him to get it done and continue enjoying his Oshkosh winner.  Dave had his engine blow up but put it down in professional style on the Pawhuska runway.  No one could have done it any better.  When I caught up with him, to bring him back to Enid, we both surmised that Jesus was instrumental in protecting him.  Thank You Jesus for letting us keep Dave!

And that's how the event started!  

 

While I was gone helping Dave, Honey Lamb welcomed Jon Finley and his RV 4, Charlie Johnson and his Friend David Bramlett in Charlie's Tri Pacer with lots of luggage etc.  Then Kevin Boddicker arrived in his TriQ200 to our wonderful surprise!  Keith Welsh flew in his Thorp T18 for his 1st and longest cross country trip and Rodney Herzig brought his beautiful Cozy 3!  Dave Dugas and I arrived in my Trusty RV6.  Phil Langford (CA) drove in with Jon Hoxie(NM).  Al Spratford, a Dragon Fly builder from Colorado Springs arrived and met us at Enid Brewery for supper.  We sang happy birthday to Honey Lamb at supper!  (She still looks 18)!  The group then was welcomed into our home for more fun and fellowship!  Phil Langford showed videos of old Ottawa Field of Dreams as well as Springfield.  It was fun seeing our younger skinnier tighter skinned selves.

 

Friday morning we gathered for breakfast at the hotel.  After much more jocularity we moved to the airport to welcome Friday arrivals.  Vern Lehman from Manford, OK is building a "Frankenbird" Q/Dragonfly derivative.  Sam Kittle drove his hot rod Challenger.  Sam is flying his Luscombe and building his Q200 in Angels Camp, CA.

Jay Scheevel made his 2nd appearance in his highly modified TriQ 200+ from Grand Junction, CO.  We had a delicious lunch at Barnstormers on the field.  We later threw down a few steaks at Cherokee Land and Cattle Company.  We helped Dave Dugas with his plans to obtain a truck and tie downs etc for his trip back home.

After supper people departed for the hotel and Honey Lamb and I got all "gussied up" for the Vance Air force 80th Celebration and Dance with a 1940's theme!

Everyone was very tired after a big day.

 

Saturday morning after breakfast at the hotel, we moved our planes into the joint use hanger (where the Vance 80th anniversary celebration happened the night before).  Keston gave us free hanger rent for improvising for the Vance 80th celebration.  Sammy Hoskins flew in from Carbondale, IL in his fast, fast Q200.  I clocked him on Flight Aware at 210 mph!  Dave McConahy flew over in his Q2 from Okmulgee, OK (how would you pronounce that big bads)?!  I (Bruce) gave Sam Kittle a little time in my TriQ 200 before we arrived at the join use hanger.  I think Sam is getting close to 1st flight in his Q200!  Greg and Stephanie Garee flew in there Cozy 3 from Tulsa, OK along with their friend,  Greg Hale,  in his RV 10 and passenger Lyle Monkey.  We had Arlene Martinez, Brian Martinez widow and their son Sten Martinez and his daughter stop by for awhile from OKC!  Phil Langford now owns Brian's Q200!  They had a great time connecting. We sent Dave Dugas and loading crew off to Pawhuska to load the Q2.  They were loaded with lots of tie downs, tires, pillows, etc.   Gerry Lynn Fore, Enid, OK ,came by with pictures of past Ottawa fly in times.  Everyone looked sooo young and it was one of the largest Q/Dfly events in history 1995!  Mike Shuck of Wichita, KS drove down to see everyone.  He presented a talk on airfoils last year.  My buddies Gene Martin- Lancair and Mike Porter-RV6 also brought their planes around and joined us for a while.  Ken Girty also from Enid stopped by for a while.

Jay was able to fix Dave McConahy's coax  after we had reviewed the light signals syllabus.  His radio worked fine for taxi and take off. A group picture was taken to commemorate the event.  We then departed for Blaze's BBQ and the banquet.  Jay and I sang a song that Jay had written in the style of Johnny Cash about "Builder Prison Blues".  It was a scream and everyone wants CD's.  We will send the video in another e-mail.

 

Awards were given out by myself at first and then I turned it over to Honey Lamb.  Mary Masal had awards several years ago and stole the show.  So I figured maybe Honey Lamb could do the same.  She didn't know she was going to MC but she was funny and gave out great hugs.  I had to "tap out" Kevin Boddicker as he was just enjoying it to much!  

Best of Show- Rodney Herzig Cozy 3

Best cockpit-  Keith Welsh - Thorpe T18

Best Modifications- Jay Scheevel  TriQ200+ (Jabiru Engine)

Best Q/DFly- Kevin Boddicker TriQ200

High Time- Sammy Hoskins Q200 2000+ hours

Red Badge Of Courage-  Dave Dugas- Q2  Engine issue

 

Afterwards we retired to Crain's for Braum's ice cream and fellowship.  We did a Facetime call with Jim Masal as he was very disappointed he couldn't join us due to Covid.  Everyone loves seeing Jimmey! He can wire bush on the phone!  Farewells were said and everyone scattered until next year!

 

Sunday morning weather was severe clear and everyone was able to leave by 8:30 am.  We really enjoyed hosting and seeing everyone!!

2022 location pending.  Will let you know.  Keep building, flying, and maintaining!

 

Bruce and Honey Lamb

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Re: Is there a way I can remain a part of the group and not receive an email everytime anyone writes anything.

Jay Scheevel
 

Just pick one of the options online:

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Hutchinson via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 3:51 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Is there a way I can remain a part of the group and not receive an email everytime anyone writes anything.

 

Where is the subscription/"you're subscription"/settings/daily digest?


Re: Is there a way I can remain a part of the group and not receive an email everytime anyone writes anything.

Brian Hutchinson
 

Where is the subscription/"you're subscription"/settings/daily digest?


Re: "Field Of Dreams" 2021 Report

Bruce Crain
 

Nope!  Although that’s true but I meant who named our event “Field Of Dreams”?  Terry Sickler coined the phrase “Ottowow” back when we were in Ottawa, KS.  Sooo keep digging!
Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:11 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:



We even had “Shoeless Dave” McConahy (he flies without his shoes).

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Hole via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 8:03 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] "Field Of Dreams" 2021 Report

 

Field of Dreams, a movie starring Kevin Costner.  

“If you build it, they will come!”

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

 

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021, 3:32 PM Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

Howdy all from balmy Oklahoma!

Field Of Dreams is "in the book"!  Trivia question, where did the Field Of Dreams title come from?  Quickies for $200!  

 

Over all we had 11 States represented NM, AZ, IA, IN, MASS, CA, OK, CO,IL, KS, UT!

6 Q's with 3-TriQ 200. 2-Q2, 1-Q200.

9-Other planes

Total planes-15

 

A total of 29 people attended the event!

 

We always learn something when at FOD and this year it was a learning experience for a group of Q-Bees who drove to Pawhuska, OK to help Dave Dugas load his Q2 into a large box truck and send him off to Orange, Massachusetts to rebuild a couple of things.  He will need a new engine and repair to the bottom of the belly.  We are pulling for him to get it done and continue enjoying his Oshkosh winner.  Dave had his engine blow up but put it down in professional style on the Pawhuska runway.  No one could have done it any better.  When I caught up with him, to bring him back to Enid, we both surmised that Jesus was instrumental in protecting him.  Thank You Jesus for letting us keep Dave!

And that's how the event started!  

 

While I was gone helping Dave, Honey Lamb welcomed Jon Finley and his RV 4, Charlie Johnson and his Friend David Bramlett in Charlie's Tri Pacer with lots of luggage etc.  Then Kevin Boddicker arrived in his TriQ200 to our wonderful surprise!  Keith Welsh flew in his Thorp T18 for his 1st and longest cross country trip and Rodney Herzig brought his beautiful Cozy 3!  Dave Dugas and I arrived in my Trusty RV6.  Phil Langford (CA) drove in with Jon Hoxie(NM).  Al Spratford, a Dragon Fly builder from Colorado Springs arrived and met us at Enid Brewery for supper.  We sang happy birthday to Honey Lamb at supper!  (She still looks 18)!  The group then was welcomed into our home for more fun and fellowship!  Phil Langford showed videos of old Ottawa Field of Dreams as well as Springfield.  It was fun seeing our younger skinnier tighter skinned selves.

 

Friday morning we gathered for breakfast at the hotel.  After much more jocularity we moved to the airport to welcome Friday arrivals.  Vern Lehman from Manford, OK is building a "Frankenbird" Q/Dragonfly derivative.  Sam Kittle drove his hot rod Challenger.  Sam is flying his Luscombe and building his Q200 in Angels Camp, CA.

Jay Scheevel made his 2nd appearance in his highly modified TriQ 200+ from Grand Junction, CO.  We had a delicious lunch at Barnstormers on the field.  We later threw down a few steaks at Cherokee Land and Cattle Company.  We helped Dave Dugas with his plans to obtain a truck and tie downs etc for his trip back home.

After supper people departed for the hotel and Honey Lamb and I got all "gussied up" for the Vance Air force 80th Celebration and Dance with a 1940's theme!

Everyone was very tired after a big day.

 

Saturday morning after breakfast at the hotel, we moved our planes into the joint use hanger (where the Vance 80th anniversary celebration happened the night before).  Keston gave us free hanger rent for improvising for the Vance 80th celebration.  Sammy Hoskins flew in from Carbondale, IL in his fast, fast Q200.  I clocked him on Flight Aware at 210 mph!  Dave McConahy flew over in his Q2 from Okmulgee, OK (how would you pronounce that big bads)?!  I (Bruce) gave Sam Kittle a little time in my TriQ 200 before we arrived at the join use hanger.  I think Sam is getting close to 1st flight in his Q200!  Greg and Stephanie Garee flew in there Cozy 3 from Tulsa, OK along with their friend,  Greg Hale,  in his RV 10 and passenger Lyle Monkey.  We had Arlene Martinez, Brian Martinez widow and their son Sten Martinez and his daughter stop by for awhile from OKC!  Phil Langford now owns Brian's Q200!  They had a great time connecting. We sent Dave Dugas and loading crew off to Pawhuska to load the Q2.  They were loaded with lots of tie downs, tires, pillows, etc.   Gerry Lynn Fore, Enid, OK ,came by with pictures of past Ottawa fly in times.  Everyone looked sooo young and it was one of the largest Q/Dfly events in history 1995!  Mike Shuck of Wichita, KS drove down to see everyone.  He presented a talk on airfoils last year.  My buddies Gene Martin- Lancair and Mike Porter-RV6 also brought their planes around and joined us for a while.  Ken Girty also from Enid stopped by for a while.

Jay was able to fix Dave McConahy's coax  after we had reviewed the light signals syllabus.  His radio worked fine for taxi and take off. A group picture was taken to commemorate the event.  We then departed for Blaze's BBQ and the banquet.  Jay and I sang a song that Jay had written in the style of Johnny Cash about "Builder Prison Blues".  It was a scream and everyone wants CD's.  We will send the video in another e-mail.

 

Awards were given out by myself at first and then I turned it over to Honey Lamb.  Mary Masal had awards several years ago and stole the show.  So I figured maybe Honey Lamb could do the same.  She didn't know she was going to MC but she was funny and gave out great hugs.  I had to "tap out" Kevin Boddicker as he was just enjoying it to much!  

Best of Show- Rodney Herzig Cozy 3

Best cockpit-  Keith Welsh - Thorpe T18

Best Modifications- Jay Scheevel  TriQ200+ (Jabiru Engine)

Best Q/DFly- Kevin Boddicker TriQ200

High Time- Sammy Hoskins Q200 2000+ hours

Red Badge Of Courage-  Dave Dugas- Q2  Engine issue

 

Afterwards we retired to Crain's for Braum's ice cream and fellowship.  We did a Facetime call with Jim Masal as he was very disappointed he couldn't join us due to Covid.  Everyone loves seeing Jimmey! He can wire bush on the phone!  Farewells were said and everyone scattered until next year!

 

Sunday morning weather was severe clear and everyone was able to leave by 8:30 am.  We really enjoyed hosting and seeing everyone!!

2022 location pending.  Will let you know.  Keep building, flying, and maintaining!

 

Bruce and Honey Lamb

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Re: GPS Dimension

 

The 296 is why I now have the 660.
It would not update and the date was 1999.
I called Garmin, was told that series of GPS’s (196/296) have gone further into the future than expected and is why the dates did not roll over.
He hooked up to mine and it did update but not the date. With only 9 days left in the cycle he just let me have the update.

However, he told me he couldn’t guarantee it would take one or more updates but eventually it would be an expensive paper weight. I see ‘‘em advertised on eBay for $200 sooooo. I think off it’ll go.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Bruce Crain" <jcrain2@...>
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GPS Dimension
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:05:49 -0500

I have the 660 and love it! It connects to my “True Track auto pilot. I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system. It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

To you Sam H,You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.Thought you might like to know.Keith








____________________________________________________________
Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457


Re: GPS Dimension

Bruce Crain
 

I have the 660 and love it!  It connects to my “True Track auto pilot.  I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system.  It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.
Bruce


On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:


To you Sam H,
You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?
Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.
Thought you might like to know.
Keith
 





Re: Emergency landing witnessed

Anthony P
 

At this rate Dave, you'll be testing flying by tomorrow morning! :)

Is the rod still connected to the crank?
If not, I would suspect rod big-end failure first, which leads to piston failure.

I get to look at it this weekend while you're stuck at the family BBQ!  HaHa.


Re: Emergency landing witnessed

Dave Dugas
 

Thanks Corbin and everyone else. With plenty of help available last evening, my Q was unloaded, and is now back in the hangar. The incident was caused by piston failure in the #1 cylinder. I couldn't wait to find out the cause, so right after getting the engine off the truck I removed the valve cover and cylinder heads. I'll be getting a few pictures of the discovery posted soon.
I'm glad that Rodney was there to record the ordeal because it demonstrates the importance of keeping aware of possible emergency landing sites, even though things seem to be going great. This occurred completely out of the blue, and in a matter of seconds.
Dave D.


On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM, Corbin via groups.io
<c_geiser@...> wrote:
Well done, Dave!  I have also had an emergency landing in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma in my Q200.  It was on the return flight from NW Arkansas to Dallas when my alternator failed.  Only a small handful of airports as options and was on borrowed battery time.  

Glad you got it down safe!

Corbin

On Sep 22, 2021, at 10:35 AM, Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:


Your welcome Sam. Dave thought the group may be able to learn something from it. He did an excellent job of keeping his cool and getting the plane on the ground safely. 

Rod




On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:


Thanks for sharing that Rodney.

Sam

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 8:49 PM Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR







--

Corbin 
N121CG


Re: Emergency landing witnessed

Corbin
 

Well done, Dave!  I have also had an emergency landing in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma in my Q200.  It was on the return flight from NW Arkansas to Dallas when my alternator failed.  Only a small handful of airports as options and was on borrowed battery time.  

Glad you got it down safe!

Corbin

On Sep 22, 2021, at 10:35 AM, Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:


Your welcome Sam. Dave thought the group may be able to learn something from it. He did an excellent job of keeping his cool and getting the plane on the ground safely. 

Rod




On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:


Thanks for sharing that Rodney.

Sam

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 8:49 PM Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR







--

Corbin 
N121CG


Re: Emergency landing witnessed

Paul Fisher
 

Nice job Rod.  That must be a really helpless feeling to be that close and all you can do is watch!

Thanks for the video.

Paul

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 18:49 Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:
https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR






Sharing a moment while flying the last leg of a 1,400 mile to Oklahoma f...

Rodney Herzig
 

https://youtu.be/iy-VT_LN2hA
Rewind to 20 minutes before Dave’s engine failure and emergency landing in Pawhuska and you have this! How rapidly things can change 😳🙏


Re: Field of Dreams 2021 Videos

Jay Scheevel
 

Put it up on youtube:

https://youtu.be/aF-n8hHdE2k

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Dwyer
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 9:54 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Field of Dreams 2021 Videos

 

Builders Blues, LOL.


Mike Dwyer Q200

 

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

 

 

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 5:31 PM Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

 

Click to Download

IMG_1083.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_1085.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_1086.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_1119.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_1120.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_1121.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_9761.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_9774.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_9794.MOV

0 bytes

 

Click to Download

IMG_9814.MOV

0 bytes

 

2261 - 2280 of 55033