Date   

Test

damiantwinsport@...
 

I keep geting bounced

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200


Re: [Fwd: Canard mounting]

Gregory Danian Mead <damiantwinsport@...>
 

--- In Q-LIST@..., aUser wrote:

This inconsistancy with delicate mounting isues is a good argument
for installing stringers on the fues and adding hard points to the
canard and bolting the canard on ala Dragonfly then onewould be able
to shim for correct incidence.

Jon
I'm with Sam on this if the Canard is mounted as you said "canard
(WL) were mounted nose down relative to the wing (WL)" then the
airplane
lifts will not be balanced according to the weight distribution. I
had a
plane like that.

The quick solution:
Fly around with full (or nearly full) aft stick. OR
Reflex the ailerons up- a lot! (about 30 degrees to the streamlined
setting)
OR
Add weight aft. How about 8 lbs. on tail stinger and 60 lbs. of gas
in
baggage area.

The final solution:
Cut off canard and increase incidence (about 1 1/2 degrees for me)

Now plane flys "normal" with all surfaces flushed in.

I have also flown other Q-type aircraft with this problem.

Quickly looking up this topic in my database I see this problem was
also
discussed in several "QuickTalk" articles in the early 80's where
the
authors write about changing the canard incidence but do not
discuss why
they changed the incidence or the amount or direction and the
change. I do
recall an article that did discuss this and his reason for moving
canard
incidence up, but I couldn't quickly find it. Jon, if you need more
info
write and let me know.

Larry

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Finley" <finley@c...>
To: "QBA (E-mail)" <qba@l...>
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2000 10:05 PM
Subject: Canard mounting


Hi all,

A not so hypothetical question: How would a Q2 act in the air if
the
canard
(WL) were mounted nose down relative to the wing (WL)?

Thanks,
Jon Finley
N54JF Quickie - Volkswagen 1835cc
N90MG Q2 - Subaru EA-81 DDT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
http://63.90.191.136/Finley/finley-subaru.html



Re: Elevator and Aileron Bushings

damiantwinsport@...
 

Testing.... bounced mail

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...>
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:04:13 -0000
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Elevator and Aileron Bushings



McMaster-Carr has them but at three times the price.
Jim
--- In Q-LIST@..., "Bob Farnam" <bfarnam@p...> wrote:

You can also check out McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com .

Bob F.
N200QK
EAA Flight Advisor

-----Original Message-----
From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...]On
Behalf Of
Jim Patillo
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 2:30 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Elevator and Aileron Bushings



Steve,

Try Applied Industrial Technologies. Do not tell them it is for an
airplane or they won't help you. Their website is applied.com. The
local phone number is 510-770-1209 but they are a nationwide
company, formerly known as King Bearing. Jason is my contact. The
part number for the outer bushing is DRJF040603. The inner bushing
is BJ4F081208.

Since I have not tried these bushings for any length of time I
cannot vouch for their reliability. Hope this helps. There is no
minimum order.

Regards,
Jim Patillo

--- In Q-LIST@..., "steve" <sham@i...> wrote:
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Jim Patillo
> To: Q-LIST@...
> Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:02 PM
> Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Elevator and Aileron Bushings
>
> Jim, I found a source for Rulon bushing at San Diego Plastics.
They have minimum orders of $75.00 Have you got a better source??
>
> Steve Ham
>
>
>
> As I said earlier, I've checked all the Quickies around this
airport,
> including Farnams' and they all have a fair to good amount of
play,
> depending on hours of usage. Has any one flown with the Teflon
> bushings Farnam is suggesting we use? If so what has been your
> results.
>
> JP
>
>
>
>
>
>






Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org





SPONSORED LINKS Aviation maintenance Aviation maintenance
training
Aviation maintenance schools
Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art


--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
--
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

a.. Visit your group "Q-LIST" on the web.

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Q-LIST-unsubscribe@...

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.


--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
--









Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org


Yahoo! Groups Links


test

damiantwinsport@...
 

I keep geting bounced

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200


Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>
 

The product is styrofoam.
Peter

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Buckley
To: Q-LIST
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:32 AM
Subject: Fw: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks


That name may be 'DOW PLASTICS'

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Buckley
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks


I believe that the blue foam is made by 'DOW CHEMICALS' and is sold as 'flotation billets', in different sizes.

Paul Buckley
Cheshire
England
----- Original Message -----
From: damiantwinsport@...
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks


Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to invent myself as a dock builder.

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200


-----Original Message-----
From: Boddicker <trumanst@...>
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:59:56 -0600
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks


Damian,
I got the blue foam from a company named Cope Plastics. They have since
decided not to sell retail however. I think Sam Hoskins got his foam from
Spruce of Wicks. They had to special order it for him I believe. In order to
get it large enough.
The orange foam is no longer available as far as I know. It was explained to
me that the foam is used for flotation of boat docks. It was determined that
the orange foam invited muskrats to gnaw on it , and they stay away fron the
blue foam. I know it sounds crazy, but that is what I was told.

Kevin Boddicker
Luana, Iowa
Tri Q200 N7868B
Taxiing



on 1/23/06 6:28 PM, damiantwinsport@... at damiantwinsport@...
wrote:

> Hey Guys, does anyone have a source for the orange Polystyrene used for canard
> and wing cores?
>
> Regards,
> Damian Gregory N8427 Q200
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: chris rayner <chris-rayner@...>
> To: Q-LIST@...
> Sent: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:54:18 -0000
> Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks
>
>
> Jim, Mike, Bruce, thanks for your replies. I'm keeping close eye on the
> temperatures - especially CHT. No problem so far - all seems fine really so
> I think I'll keep running it, listening for strange noises. There's one
> impulse mag and one fixed, hand swinging with l/h mag on only. I expect that
> there will be several hours of taxi testing before flight, so I'll have to
> take care and hope for not too much glazing. This will probably be mid year,
> by the time that PFA paperwork gets done. Engine installation about
> complete - except for the leaks and a few wires to be tidied. Need to hook
> up the radio and associated bits (PTT, aerial, h/phones etc) and finish the
> canopy locks. Fit the belts; bleed the brakes; finalise the battery
> installation - can easily continue to think of lots of little items to
> finish.....
>
> The type of pilot I am (more accurately builder as I'm not yet flying) is
> like I mentioned in the Q-Talk article. Bought a part-built and continued
> from then. Only significant modifications were to add the "6-pack".
>
> PS. Raoul, I know of 3 Q's with 0-235 installed. One is in Cyprus (I
> believe) but was built in UK; two others still in UK. One being built and
> the other in need of canard repair.
>
> Chris Rayner
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jim Patillo" <logistics_engineering@...>
> To: <Q-LIST@...>
> Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 4:03 AM
> Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks
>
>
>>
>> Chris,
>>
>> First congratulations on the startup! Watch to make sure you do not
>> overheat the cylinders (don't get them over 375-400 degrees on these
>> little forays). Make sure you calibrate and have accurate oil temp
>> and CHT gauges. Break the engine in according to the Continental
>> manual and you won't have any problems. Note: Glazing cylinders on a
>> new engine is a bummer. Just ask Mark Summers.
>>
>> It is not recommended but I ran mine several hours on the ground. I
>> did a complete rebuild myself and did not want surprises. As of 700
>> hours of continual use, I've not had any problems.
>>
>> O200's leak oil and they make noise when turned by hand, but just
>> remember an 0200 is pretty bullet proof. That's why they use them in
>> Cessna trainer airplanes. You really got to screw up to really screw
>> up.
>>
>> If you have mags that are both impulse coupled you will hear two
>> simetaneous clicks. That is a good thing. You will also feel front to
>> back end play when pushing on the prop. You also hear the valves
>> opening and closing but I'm not sure how much you can hear the
>> hydraulic lifters.
>>
>> There are four kinds of pilots in this group. Those who bought flying
>> airplanes, those who bought flying airplanes and decided to tear them
>> apart and spend the next several years wishing they hadn't and those
>> who built them from scratch. Which are you?
>>
>> I was reminded again this weekend of the latter category (visiting
>> Sam Kittle and his airplane) and what a lot of work it really is. I
>> spent around 4000 hours on mine and honestly don't think I would have
>> the stamina to do it again. The rewards are great but the time
>> required is incredible.
>>
>> How close to flight are you?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jim Patillo N46JP Q200
>>
>>
>> --- In Q-LIST@..., "chris rayner" <chris-rayner@b...>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Guys, my "hand-start O-200" starts and runs fine - about 30 minutes
>> so far on my driveway. It has a few oil drips - seem to be from one
>> mag and the oil tank gaskets. Probably need to re-tighten or re-seat
>> them. However, as I have never worked with the O-200 before, I could
>> do with some advice on what are normal sounds when it is turned over
>> by hand. I expect, and get the clicks from the impulse coupling at
>> the right time, but I also get other clonks when it is turned over
>> slowly. These are at the same point each rotation and I can only
>> think of the hydraulic tappets that could cause the noise. Do they
>> normally (or often) do that; does it matter and is it something that
>> goes away when the oil pressure builds up? I can't hear it when the
>> engine is running, but there's other stuff going on then!
>>>
>>> Thanks for advice from anyone with more experience than me on these
>> engines.
>>>
>>> An observation - it sure is a closely cowled installation. A small
>> impact lump and cracked paint has appeared on the cowling over the #4
>> cylinder rocker cover - top front corner. Also needed to clamp the
>> plug lead down tight on that cylinder to avoid it rubbing inside the
>> cowl, even with the short REM37BY plugs. The engine sounds great
>> though.
>>>
>>> Chris Rayner (trying to recover from standing behind a very
>> powerful fan at near freezing temperatures).
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
>> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org


Yahoo! Groups Links










Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org





SPONSORED LINKS Aviation maintenance Aviation maintenance training Aviation maintenance schools
Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

a.. Visit your group "Q-LIST" on the web.

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Q-LIST-unsubscribe@...

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------




------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.21/236 - Release Date: 20/01/2006






Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

a.. Visit your group "Q-LIST" on the web.

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Q-LIST-unsubscribe@...

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>
 

Damian there are several different grades intended for construction with different properties including density and resilience.Need to check with the source.
Peter.

----- Original Message -----
From: Boddicker
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks


Damian,
I got the blue foam from a company named Cope Plastics. They have since
decided not to sell retail however. I think Sam Hoskins got his foam from
Spruce of Wicks. They had to special order it for him I believe. In order to
get it large enough.
The orange foam is no longer available as far as I know. It was explained to
me that the foam is used for flotation of boat docks. It was determined that
the orange foam invited muskrats to gnaw on it , and they stay away fron the
blue foam. I know it sounds crazy, but that is what I was told.

Kevin Boddicker
Luana, Iowa
Tri Q200 N7868B
Taxiing



on 1/23/06 6:28 PM, damiantwinsport@... at damiantwinsport@...
wrote:

> Hey Guys, does anyone have a source for the orange Polystyrene used for canard
> and wing cores?
>
> Regards,
> Damian Gregory N8427 Q200
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: chris rayner <chris-rayner@...>
> To: Q-LIST@...
> Sent: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:54:18 -0000
> Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks
>
>
> Jim, Mike, Bruce, thanks for your replies. I'm keeping close eye on the
> temperatures - especially CHT. No problem so far - all seems fine really so
> I think I'll keep running it, listening for strange noises. There's one
> impulse mag and one fixed, hand swinging with l/h mag on only. I expect that
> there will be several hours of taxi testing before flight, so I'll have to
> take care and hope for not too much glazing. This will probably be mid year,
> by the time that PFA paperwork gets done. Engine installation about
> complete - except for the leaks and a few wires to be tidied. Need to hook
> up the radio and associated bits (PTT, aerial, h/phones etc) and finish the
> canopy locks. Fit the belts; bleed the brakes; finalise the battery
> installation - can easily continue to think of lots of little items to
> finish.....
>
> The type of pilot I am (more accurately builder as I'm not yet flying) is
> like I mentioned in the Q-Talk article. Bought a part-built and continued
> from then. Only significant modifications were to add the "6-pack".
>
> PS. Raoul, I know of 3 Q's with 0-235 installed. One is in Cyprus (I
> believe) but was built in UK; two others still in UK. One being built and
> the other in need of canard repair.
>
> Chris Rayner
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jim Patillo" <logistics_engineering@...>
> To: <Q-LIST@...>
> Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 4:03 AM
> Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks
>
>
>>
>> Chris,
>>
>> First congratulations on the startup! Watch to make sure you do not
>> overheat the cylinders (don't get them over 375-400 degrees on these
>> little forays). Make sure you calibrate and have accurate oil temp
>> and CHT gauges. Break the engine in according to the Continental
>> manual and you won't have any problems. Note: Glazing cylinders on a
>> new engine is a bummer. Just ask Mark Summers.
>>
>> It is not recommended but I ran mine several hours on the ground. I
>> did a complete rebuild myself and did not want surprises. As of 700
>> hours of continual use, I've not had any problems.
>>
>> O200's leak oil and they make noise when turned by hand, but just
>> remember an 0200 is pretty bullet proof. That's why they use them in
>> Cessna trainer airplanes. You really got to screw up to really screw
>> up.
>>
>> If you have mags that are both impulse coupled you will hear two
>> simetaneous clicks. That is a good thing. You will also feel front to
>> back end play when pushing on the prop. You also hear the valves
>> opening and closing but I'm not sure how much you can hear the
>> hydraulic lifters.
>>
>> There are four kinds of pilots in this group. Those who bought flying
>> airplanes, those who bought flying airplanes and decided to tear them
>> apart and spend the next several years wishing they hadn't and those
>> who built them from scratch. Which are you?
>>
>> I was reminded again this weekend of the latter category (visiting
>> Sam Kittle and his airplane) and what a lot of work it really is. I
>> spent around 4000 hours on mine and honestly don't think I would have
>> the stamina to do it again. The rewards are great but the time
>> required is incredible.
>>
>> How close to flight are you?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jim Patillo N46JP Q200
>>
>>
>> --- In Q-LIST@..., "chris rayner" <chris-rayner@b...>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Guys, my "hand-start O-200" starts and runs fine - about 30 minutes
>> so far on my driveway. It has a few oil drips - seem to be from one
>> mag and the oil tank gaskets. Probably need to re-tighten or re-seat
>> them. However, as I have never worked with the O-200 before, I could
>> do with some advice on what are normal sounds when it is turned over
>> by hand. I expect, and get the clicks from the impulse coupling at
>> the right time, but I also get other clonks when it is turned over
>> slowly. These are at the same point each rotation and I can only
>> think of the hydraulic tappets that could cause the noise. Do they
>> normally (or often) do that; does it matter and is it something that
>> goes away when the oil pressure builds up? I can't hear it when the
>> engine is running, but there's other stuff going on then!
>>>
>>> Thanks for advice from anyone with more experience than me on these
>> engines.
>>>
>>> An observation - it sure is a closely cowled installation. A small
>> impact lump and cracked paint has appeared on the cowling over the #4
>> cylinder rocker cover - top front corner. Also needed to clamp the
>> plug lead down tight on that cylinder to avoid it rubbing inside the
>> cowl, even with the short REM37BY plugs. The engine sounds great
>> though.
>>>
>>> Chris Rayner (trying to recover from standing behind a very
>> powerful fan at near freezing temperatures).
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
>> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

a.. Visit your group "Q-LIST" on the web.

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Q-LIST-unsubscribe@...

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks

Jim Patillo
 

Chris,

First congratulations on the startup! Watch to make sure you do not
overheat the cylinders (don't get them over 375-400 degrees on these
little forays). Make sure you calibrate and have accurate oil temp
and CHT gauges. Break the engine in according to the Continental
manual and you won't have any problems. Note: Glazing cylinders on a
new engine is a bummer. Just ask Mark Summers.

It is not recommended but I ran mine several hours on the ground. I
did a complete rebuild myself and did not want surprises. As of 700
hours of continual use, I've not had any problems.

O200's leak oil and they make noise when turned by hand, but just
remember an 0200 is pretty bullet proof. That's why they use them in
Cessna trainer airplanes. You really got to screw up to really screw
up.

If you have mags that are both impulse coupled you will hear two
simetaneous clicks. That is a good thing. You will also feel front to
back end play when pushing on the prop. You also hear the valves
opening and closing but I'm not sure how much you can hear the
hydraulic lifters.

There are four kinds of pilots in this group. Those who bought flying
airplanes, those who bought flying airplanes and decided to tear them
apart and spend the next several years wishing they hadn't and those
who built them from scratch. Which are you?

I was reminded again this weekend of the latter category (visiting
Sam Kittle and his airplane) and what a lot of work it really is. I
spent around 4000 hours on mine and honestly don't think I would have
the stamina to do it again. The rewards are great but the time
required is incredible.

How close to flight are you?

Regards,
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200


--- In Q-LIST@..., "chris rayner" <chris-rayner@b...>
wrote:

Guys, my "hand-start O-200" starts and runs fine - about 30 minutes
so far on my driveway. It has a few oil drips - seem to be from one
mag and the oil tank gaskets. Probably need to re-tighten or re-seat
them. However, as I have never worked with the O-200 before, I could
do with some advice on what are normal sounds when it is turned over
by hand. I expect, and get the clicks from the impulse coupling at
the right time, but I also get other clonks when it is turned over
slowly. These are at the same point each rotation and I can only
think of the hydraulic tappets that could cause the noise. Do they
normally (or often) do that; does it matter and is it something that
goes away when the oil pressure builds up? I can't hear it when the
engine is running, but there's other stuff going on then!

Thanks for advice from anyone with more experience than me on these
engines.

An observation - it sure is a closely cowled installation. A small
impact lump and cracked paint has appeared on the cowling over the #4
cylinder rocker cover - top front corner. Also needed to clamp the
plug lead down tight on that cylinder to avoid it rubbing inside the
cowl, even with the short REM37BY plugs. The engine sounds great
though.

Chris Rayner (trying to recover from standing behind a very
powerful fan at near freezing temperatures).



Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks

Bruce Crain
 

Chris,
If you have a B and C starter the magnets will cause the gears to bump as it hurries passed to the next magnet causing a clunking sound.

Bruce Crain



___________________________________________________________________
Try Juno Platinum for Free! Then, only $9.95/month!
Unlimited Internet Access with 1GB of Email Storage.
Visit http://www.juno.com/value to sign up today!


Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>
 

I get some click noises when I turn the engine ever so slightly forward and backward. I believe it's the rings. But if the engine is moved continuously in the forward direction all I get is the mag impulse noise.
Mike Q200

chris rayner wrote:

Guys, my "hand-start O-200" starts and runs fine - about 30 minutes so far on my driveway. It has a few oil drips - seem to be from one mag and the oil tank gaskets. Probably need to re-tighten or re-seat them. However, as I have never worked with the O-200 before, I could do with some advice on what are normal sounds when it is turned over by hand. I expect, and get the clicks from the impulse coupling at the right time, but I also get other clonks when it is turned over slowly. These are at the same point each rotation and I can only think of the hydraulic tappets that could cause the noise. Do they normally (or often) do that; does it matter and is it something that goes away when the oil pressure builds up? I can't hear it when the engine is running, but there's other stuff going on then!
Thanks for advice from anyone with more experience than me on these engines.
An observation - it sure is a closely cowled installation. A small impact lump and cracked paint has appeared on the cowling over the #4 cylinder rocker cover - top front corner. Also needed to clamp the plug lead down tight on that cylinder to avoid it rubbing inside the cowl, even with the short REM37BY plugs. The engine sounds great though.

Chris Rayner (trying to recover from standing behind a very powerful fan at near freezing temperatures).


Re: O-200 Clicks and Clonks

raoborg@...
 

has any one mounted a lycoming 235 on a Q2? Raoul

--- "chris rayner" <chris-rayner@...> wrote:

From: "chris rayner" <chris-rayner@...>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:50:21 -0000
To: "Q-List" <Q-LIST@...>, "Q-200_Engine_Group
Moderator" <Q-200_Engine_Group-owner@...>
Subject: [Q-LIST] O-200 Clicks and Clonks
Guys, my "hand-start O-200" starts and runs fine - about 30
minutes so far on my driveway. It has a few oil drips - seem to
be from one mag and the oil tank gaskets. Probably need to
re-tighten or re-seat them. However, as I have never worked
with the O-200 before, I could do with some advice on what are
normal sounds when it is turned over by hand. I expect, and get
the clicks from the impulse coupling at the right time, but I
also get other clonks when it is turned over slowly. These are
at the same point each rotation and I can only think of the
hydraulic tappets that could cause the noise. Do they normally
(or often) do that; does it matter and is it something that
goes away when the oil pressure builds up? I can't hear it when
the engine is running, but there's other stuff going on then!
Thanks for advice from anyone with more experience than me on
these engines.
An observation - it sure is a closely cowled installation. A
small impact lump and cracked paint has appeared on the cowling
over the #4 cylinder rocker cover - top front corner. Also
needed to clamp the plug lead down tight on that cylinder to
avoid it rubbing inside the cowl, even with the short REM37BY
plugs. The engine sounds great though.
Chris Rayner (trying to recover from standing behind a very
powerful fan at near freezing temperatures).

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org

SPONSORED LINKS

Aviation maintenance Aviation maintenance training Aviation
maintenance schools
Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art
__________________________________________________________

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "Q-LIST" on the web.

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Q-LIST-unsubscribe@...

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of Service.
__________________________________________________________


_____________________________________________________________
Netscape. Just the Net You Need.


O-200 Clicks and Clonks

chris rayner <chris-rayner@...>
 

Guys, my "hand-start O-200" starts and runs fine - about 30 minutes so far on my driveway. It has a few oil drips - seem to be from one mag and the oil tank gaskets. Probably need to re-tighten or re-seat them. However, as I have never worked with the O-200 before, I could do with some advice on what are normal sounds when it is turned over by hand. I expect, and get the clicks from the impulse coupling at the right time, but I also get other clonks when it is turned over slowly. These are at the same point each rotation and I can only think of the hydraulic tappets that could cause the noise. Do they normally (or often) do that; does it matter and is it something that goes away when the oil pressure builds up? I can't hear it when the engine is running, but there's other stuff going on then!

Thanks for advice from anyone with more experience than me on these engines.

An observation - it sure is a closely cowled installation. A small impact lump and cracked paint has appeared on the cowling over the #4 cylinder rocker cover - top front corner. Also needed to clamp the plug lead down tight on that cylinder to avoid it rubbing inside the cowl, even with the short REM37BY plugs. The engine sounds great though.

Chris Rayner (trying to recover from standing behind a very powerful fan at near freezing temperatures).


Re: 60G I-Pod was Gap Seal

britmcman99
 

Hello Jim:

The Experimental Avionics Group on Yahoo Groups has been talking up some
neat display screens that'll do a neat trick for in-flight movies. Here is an
excerpt from that chat:

"You will usually see the connector type in the description of each item.
All that I have seen have been standard VGA D-SUB 15 monitor connectors. I
chose this monitor:
http://www.digitalww.com/629GL70NP.htm

It runs great on my home PC and also on the PC I built from spare parts for
flying use. It should also work fine with any laptop.

I haven't tried it out in flight yet since I forgot a power cable last time
I was out.

Chris Williams"

I'm doing fine and should be back in the saddle soon.

Cheers,

Phil


Control stick

damiantwinsport@...
 

Someone was looking fo a control stick .I have it

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200


Re: Control stick

damiantwinsport@...
 

Some one was looking for a control stick I have it.

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200

-----Original Message-----
From: Wes Isberg <wes@...>
To: damiantwinsport@...
Sent: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:55:47 -0800
Subject: Re: Matco wheels


fyi, we're trying loctite 620 bearing mount for now...

Thanks anyway -
Wes

------------Original Message------------
From: damiantwinsport@...
To: wes@...
Date: Mon, Jan-16-2006 11:30 PM
Subject: Re: Matco wheels
Wes, sure Damian Gregory
TWIN Sport
8420 Osage Ave.
Los Angeles ,CA 90045 Tel : 310- 670-6423 cell 310-493-8431

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200


-----Original Message-----
From: Wes Isberg <wes@...>
To: Damiantwinsport@...
Sent: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:56:11 -0800
Subject: Matco wheels


Hi Damian,

Wes here, off-Qlist. I'm interested in your Matco
wheels/tires but should say my A&P wants me to avoid Matco.
I'll check in with him on the options for repair/replace.
Would you give me your contact info? I thought I had it,
but can't put my hands on it.

Thanks!
Wes Isberg
(510) 339-2361


Re: 60G I-Pod was Gap Seal

Scott Spencer <sj3@...>
 

The new iPods and iPod Nano's now have a Radio Remote available. See:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html

Scott Spencer
SJ3 Software
sj3@...

On Jan 19, 2006, at 6:02 PM, Q-LIST@... wrote:

Does anyone know if the 60G Ipod is am/fm radio capable as
well?


Re: 60G I-Pod was Gap Seal

Jim Patillo
 

Phil,

Nice to hear form you! Will it hold two?

JP
--- In Q-LIST@..., britmcman@a... wrote:


P.S. I'm purchasing a 60G Ipod to hook up to the new 30-3G's I
just
got. Does anyone know if the 60G Ipod is am/fm radio capable as
well? Now just like the big boys, we'll be able to watch a movie
as
we cruise along.

That aint nothin, Jim. I'm puttin a Jacuzzi in my next Q-200.

Phil


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Gap Seal Update

Jim Patillo
 

Thanks for the input Terry and Spud,

I've now actually found Mike Huffman (an X-Q dealer) and we talked
about gap seals. He kinda confirms what you said though it was a long
time ago.

I invited him to join the Q-List and relay what he knows about the
plane and the gap seal story.(He also created the Cleveland Brake Mod
and had one of the first Q200's flying). Mike is a DAR in Lees Summit
Mo. Having worked at QAC in Mojave, he has first hand knowledge of a
lot of stuff. I figured it would be good for him to know how our
little planes continue to thrive and what we are doing today.

Hopefully he gets on line with us.

Regards,

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200




--- In Q-LIST@..., Q1terryMDT@a... wrote:

Hi Jim,

I had a phone conversation Lanny Rundell (a Q dealer in
Louisiana) when I
was building my LS1 canard for the Q1. He was the dealer that first
flew the
LS1 on the Q1. Anyway during that conversation he mentioned that he
had
refinished a LS1 on the 2 seat version and closed up the elevator
gaps, the first
flight after had much reduced elevator control. He said opening the
gaps back up
restored the elevator control. He advised me to maintain per plans
gaps when I
built mine

Terry Crouch Quickie N14TC

As it turns out Mike Huffman was a Q dealer in Lee's Summit, Mo. in
the early 80's. He worked on the LS1 with QAC and had one of the
first
Q200's flying. I am now trying to make contact with him as I
presume
he is still around.

It appears he is the individual that started the conversation on
gap
seals way back. Probably everyting that has been conjured up since
then was derived from that initial foray into sealing the gaps on a
Q.
Isn't the internet wonderful.

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200




Re: Gap Seal Update

rbarbour27@...
 

An excellent idea Jim. I do it every time I place the current issue in one
of my several three-ring binders. It never gets boring.

Dick Barbour, TriQ-200, Building


Re: Gap Seal Update

JMasal@...
 

In a message dated 1/18/06 7:09:50 PM Central Standard Time,
logistics_engineering@... writes:


Isn't the internet wonderful.

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200
And so is QUICKTALK. It's in there. Huffman was indeed at QAC in Mojave and
did a fairly thorough gap seal test which he reported to us in the early '80's
I think (thus showing the value of owning the back issues). His conclusion was
that they did not improve the bird.

On the subject of back issues, and for you old pre-internet dawgs: I was
filling a back issue order the other day and sometimes this requires making
copies. Usually this slows me WAAAAAY down because I stop to read an article or tip
or sumpin that brings back memories. Like remember Howard "Black Cloud" Hardy
who'd come to Ottawa in his Q1 with his likeness painted on the side... and
experience some kind of calamity each year? How about 5 Q1's in line abreast
formation making a 30 ft. pass over the field. Or Capt. Nitro doing a frisky
airshow on a dreary Sunday under a 500 ft. overcast. Or an aerobat visitor doing
an inverted flat spin right into the ground... followed by the KC media hyena
helicopters looking for a blood and gore story for the evening news?

After the Superbowl you oughta entertain youssef by re-reading some of those
old Quicktalks.

j.


Re: Gap Seal Update

wesisberg <wes@...>
 

Isn't the internet wonderful.
In case you haven't found this:

- His Q? fatal crash in '87
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001213X31017&key=1

- now doing DAR, etc. work:
http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com/About_Us.htm

Wes

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Jim Patillo"
<logistics_engineering@m...> wrote:



As it turns out Mike Huffman was a Q dealer in Lee's Summit, Mo. in
the early 80's. He worked on the LS1 with QAC and had one of the first
Q200's flying. I am now trying to make contact with him as I presume
he is still around.

It appears he is the individual that started the conversation on gap
seals way back. Probably everyting that has been conjured up since
then was derived from that initial foray into sealing the gaps on a Q.
Isn't the internet wonderful.

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200