Topics

2020 Flight Report.

Mike Dwyer

Wow, it's been a poor couple of weeks for flying here in the Tampa FL area.  Either fog, low clouds, very windy...  But today Jan 1 dawned with severe blue sky's and 6 knots of wind.  The Q200 was fueled and oiled.  Tire pressure was checked and engine ready to fire up.  The engine temp showed 60F.  I'm running a MA3SPA carb and previously had no primer system.  I could never start the engine below 70F.  This year I plumbed primer fuel from the carb to the ports on the Milinium cylinders.  A couple of pumps and wow the engine started and ran well.  No hint of wanting to die, love my new primer.  Very few hangar doors are open and the usually busy airport is pretty dead.  Called ground and started taxi to rwy 4.  It took a while for the oil to warm to 100F.  A big airliner took off from 36 so others were stuck there holding short for wake turbulence.  I called the tower for takeoff and got cleared to KSPG.  We were planning to do a low pass there.  The air was a bit bumpy but not bad.  KSPG was a little busy but told me to slow down and maybe it will work out.  I stayed at 1000 feet and slowed to about 100 knots.  Then just a 1/2 mile from 36 the tower clears me for a low approach so I point the nose down and add power.  Probably going 170 knots over the runway.  Popped back up and headed for the Skyway bridge, then to Egmont Key, onto Ft Desoto park, up the beaches to Clearwater.  The visability was excellent, probably 40 miles.  Headed back to KPIE and landed back on rwy 4 with a 6 knot crosswind from the left.  It was a nice flight to start 2020!

Mike Dwyer
Q200  N3QP

Kevin Boddicker

Nice report Mike!
We had mild temps today, I had plenty of time for flying, but the wind was direct cross. 15 gusting to 20 KTS. Stayed home. Be better days ahead.
All the best in 2020! To all the listers.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B   496 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Jan 1, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Poulsen

Hi Mike,
Did you video the flight? :) sounds like a great trip. bad smoke from the bushfires up North and high temps (40+C) flying has been out of the question. but this will pass.
Clear skies
Paul

--

Mike Dwyer

Hi Paul,
No video this time.  The low pass would have been cool tho.  KPSG tower seems to like me doing that cause I think it gets pretty boring in the tower.
Fly Safe!
Mike Dwyer

YouTube Videos: https://goo.gl/yKEHfK
Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 7:03 PM Paul Poulsen <paul.poulsen1957@...> wrote:
[...]

Dang,

How cool doing a beat up WITH permission 😊 they crack a bag (get angry) when I do it..party poopers 😊

Clear skies matey

Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Good report, Mike. We had fresh snow today, so no flying. Maybe this weekend will work. Happy new year everyone!

Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

[...]

Matthew Curcio

I got my first flight in for the decade. I’ve been down with the flu since Just after Christmas and the runway has been snowed in until yesterday so I finally made it back from my holiday travels (stayed with some family in the meantime). It was a 65mph headwind the whole way home with some of the gnarliest turbulence I’ve experienced but a beautiful sunset at the end.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Jan 1, 2020, at 16:03, Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

[...]

Hope y'all had a good holiday season.
Down South from Davenport but up from Tampa, Terre Haute IN was good
to go. Wind 200 @15 w/ gust to 20, 20 degrees off Rwy 23.
Got in several T & Go's to broaden my envelope in the Thorp. The
Quickie sat patiently in the hangar awaiting it's turn....but not
today.
If correct I think that's the first time I've flown on a New Years
day. If I had of before it would have been a loooong time ago.

Wife served brisket w/ cauliflower & mashed potato's for supper
telling me that it's an old wise tale passed down from her mom for
google luck.
MAY BE!! Not being a cauliflower guy I ate it anyway. One never knows.

Keith Welsh
Quickie N494K
Thorp N9MR

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 4:41 PM Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Thomson

Hey Mike,

Now that is an interesting report.

FN is now at the airport, doing the last checks and set up, then fuel tests and first run of the 0200 since rebuild. Getting closer each day.

I am just interested in your decision to fit primer on, will be interesting to see if my  system using the same carb will have the same problems you have experienced?.

We shall see.  What exhaust set up are you using?

Happy New Year and Happy Landings to all Q Listers.

Rich T

UK.

Matthew Curcio

Mike,

What was your starting procedure prior to installing the primer? I have The same carb but with primer plummed at the intake spider. I haven’t used the primer basically ever and I’ve started in 25*f temps (with and without pre-heat). For cold starts I start with throttle closed, hit the starter and then pump the throttle quickly 1-3 times (depending on oat temps 90f-25f respectively), when I’m done with the pumping I come back to throttle slightly cracked and she fires up immediately. All of that takes place in less than 2-3 revolutions and I don’t have any power surge or coughing on start up just a smooth 800rpm or so. My engine starts as smoothly as a fuel injected car. I personally don’t believe in putting fuel in an induction system when there is no induced air flow unless there is no other option for starting. It seems like every experienced aviator has a firsthand story or two of watching an airplane catch on fire do to careless priming (which often means following the poh). I’ll add that from what I have observed, engine start is second only to landing in terms of its ability to act as a proxy to a persons proficiency in a particular airplane.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773