Dynamic Balancing

Bruce Crain

To the "Groupies",
I have had a slight vibration in my Q200 since it was completed. I am
very particular about my "bird". I have been in touch with a company
that does "dynamic balancing" of the prop, spinner, engine. Apparently
sensors are hooked to the engine and it balances the "fan" sort of like a
tire balancer. Any one have any experience with the "dynamic balance
act"? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

L Koutz <koutzl@...>

Bruce
I had this done at a fly-in. The guy attached a motion sensor to the front
of the engine (we removed on of the case bolts and installed the sensor
there) and a sensor to tell engine rotation (call it a crank sensor), then
ran the engine. He produced a read out on a hand held machine. With
reference to the the crank sensor and the amount of motion he could tell
where to put weight and at what angle. We put a few large washers under a
spinner screw. Then ran the engine again. He showed where the read out was
different and had reduced the vibration considerably. It only took him two
engine runs. Bottom line for me was that it looked impressive and the read
out said the vibration was reduced---but I couldn't tell the difference! I
feel I have more imbalance in fuel distribution to individual cyclinders
that cause different combustion pressures and therefore more or less torque
pulses and that causes my engine vibration. I need to solve the fuel
distribution roughness first.
Larry

Pat Panzera <panzera@...>

Bruce J Crain wrote:

To the "Groupies",
I have had a slight vibration in my Q200 since it was completed. I am
very particular about my "bird". I have been in touch with a company
that does "dynamic balancing" of the prop, spinner, engine. Apparently
sensors are hooked to the engine and it balances the "fan" sort of like a
tire balancer. Any one have any experience with the "dynamic balance
act"? Inquiring mind wants to know.
As far as I'm concerned, it's an absolute must. We have a local
guy around here that even makes it an EAA chapter (meeting)
event.

I'm in the process of statically balancing my rods and pistons.
Then I'm going to have the crank and starter ring gear (as a
unit) dynamically balanced by a pro. The prop will be balanced
statically as well, and then the whole assembly (including
spiner) will be dynamically balanced under power.

Pat

Jon Finley <finley@...>

Hi Bruce,

I had my Soob dynamically balanced.  Worked just like Larry described and is very easy and pain free.  It took us about 8 engine runs and ended up with a couple of grams on my spinner backplate.  It made a huge difference in the smoothness of my engine which was quite a ways off to start.  I too agree that this is a must do.

Jon Finley
N54JF Quickie - Volkswagen 1835cc
N90MG Q2 - Subaru EA-81 DDT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
http://63.90.191.136/Finley/finley-subaru.html

I have had a slight vibration in my Q200 since it was completed.  I am
very particular about my "bird".  I have been in touch with a company
that does "dynamic balancing" of the prop, spinner, engine.  Apparently
sensors are hooked to the engine and it balances the "fan" sort of like a
tire balancer.  Any one have any experience with the "dynamic balance
act"?  Inquiring mind wants to know.

DKeats/CWalterson <dkeats@...>

I just balanced my DDT Subaru yesterday in about an hour including
setup. I have some friends at an aircraft place that let me use theirs.
Only problem I found was that I would get erratic readings at anything
above 3000 rpm. I was trying to balance at 3500 but ended up using 2900
for the baseline. Two runs and made it to the "GOOD " setting.
EXCELLENT is also available but a bit harder to acheive. The balancing
makes a difference.---------- Chris

Dennis Clark <dclark3@...>

What would be the "non-friend" price?

I just balanced my DDT Subaru yesterday in about an hour including
setup. I have some friends at an aircraft place that let me use theirs.
Only problem I found was that I would get erratic readings at anything
above 3000 rpm. I was trying to balance at 3500 but ended up using 2900
for the baseline. Two runs and made it to the "GOOD " setting.
EXCELLENT is also available but a bit harder to acheive. The balancing
makes a difference.---------- Chris

Jon Finley <finley@...>

I paid my guy $100.00 the first time. I suspect subsequent sessions may
cost less.

Jon

I just balanced my DDT Subaru yesterday in about an hour including
setup. I have some friends at an aircraft place that let me use theirs.
Only problem I found was that I would get erratic readings at anything
above 3000 rpm. I was trying to balance at 3500 but ended up using 2900
for the baseline. Two runs and made it to the "GOOD " setting.
EXCELLENT is also available but a bit harder to acheive. The balancing
makes a difference.---------- Chris

DKeats/CWalterson <dkeats@...>

The dynamic balancer is used on Turbo Props especially. They are very
critical. Like Jon said around 100 bucks would be fair. Even at a bit
more it's worth it. Most large AMO should have it available. It's
surprising , even if you don't think you have any vibration the computer
picks up destructive pulses some times. Try it , you'll like
it.----Chris

Bruce Crain

Thanks Pat, Larry, John, Chris, and Dennis for commenting on the prop
balancing. Looks like a go for next weekend. Hopefully it will be so
silky smooth when I arrive at Ottawa that I will need to stick my hand
out of the aircraft to see if the engine is running.