Airflow over the canard

L Koutz <koutzl@...>

Ed

I read your theory.

Here is what I have found. This is on a Q-200 (LS-1) canard. I originally
tufted the whole wing and found the elevator portion of the canard "stalled"
first. Procceding the elevator stall (tufts lifting and flopping about) the
tufts all moved inboard in unison on the outboard portion of the canard
elevator (this is the only portion of the canard I can see from the cockpit
so I don't know what happens on the inboard portion). This indicated to me
that the air after it crossed the elevator gap was a different animal with a
lot less energy to drive it along the airflow shape. The air moving inboard
just prior to stall I assumed to be because of the anhedral of the canard. I
don't know if this is true but at the time it seemed to make sense. So I
don't think that air leaking between the elevator and fuselage would be
moving outboard and cause a bubble. I also filled up the canard gap with a
foam weatherstrip "seal" since I thought air was leaking through the gap and
disturbing the air. The gap seal didn't seem to make a difference as the
wing stalled the same.

I have put VG's on the canard starting at the outboard end (about 50% chord
and triangles 1/2" high X 1 1/2" long). these seemed to delay the elevator
stall. So I added more in 18" sections. The third section I put on caused
some of the tufts on the elevator to rise up during cruise flight at about a
30 degrees from the elevator. This really puzzled me! That's when I put in
the gap seals. No difference! So here I sit with no clue. Only more testing
can fill in my information gap and I have been working on some other areas
of the plane right now.

Does anyone have any theories on this?

Larry

Ted VanMeter <tvanmeter@...>

One would probably only need an upper and lower fence on both the outboard
and inboard of the elevator. The vertical dimensions would be dictated by
elevator travel. The gap could then be "sealed" by the little fuzzy strips.
This setup could still utilize a canard to fuselage fairing or fillet. Ted

My Groups | Q-LIST Main Page | Start a new group!

--- In Q-LIST@..., "L Koutz" <koutzl@S...> wrote:
Hi Larry,

I have a hard time dreaming up another expaination for the inboard
flowing tufts. With the elevators down, you get a strong wing tip
vortex at the outer elevator edge. The flow on the top would be
inboard. Seal the outer (and inner?) edges of the elevator and you
eliminate this vortex flow, the tufts should not flow inboard as
readily.
This is why they add droopy wing tips to stol aircraft, to make it
harder for the vortex to roll back onto the trailing edge of the wing
and disrupting the normal airflow over the wing.

As always, I could be wrong.

Ed m

> Ed
>
> I don't read the tufts moving inboard together as a sign that air
is
leaking
> through the outboard elevator/ canard gap. I don't know why they do
this
> just yet.
> Larry
>
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > It sound like the inboard leak phenomenon is occurring at the
> > outboard end of the elevator. Does this agree with your
observations?
> > Perhaps the prop is blasting away the air leaking in at the root
and
> > the outboard leak becomes more significant.
> >
> > Ed m

L Koutz <koutzl@...>

Jon
My tufts (3 of them) mid elevator did the same thing, spin around, that is.
I don't remember which direction. What do you think of that!?!
Larry

My Groups | Q-LIST Main Page | Start a new group!

--- In Q-LIST@..., "L Koutz" <koutzl@S...> wrote:
Hi Larry,

I have a hard time dreaming up another expaination for the inboard
flowing tufts. With the elevators down, you get a strong wing tip
vortex at the outer elevator edge. The flow on the top would be
inboard. Seal the outer (and inner?) edges of the elevator and you
eliminate this vortex flow, the tufts should not flow inboard as
readily.
This is why they add droopy wing tips to stol aircraft, to make it
harder for the vortex to roll back onto the trailing edge of the wing
and disrupting the normal airflow over the wing.

As always, I could be wrong.

Ed m

> Ed
>
> I don't read the tufts moving inboard together as a sign that air
is
leaking
> through the outboard elevator/ canard gap. I don't know why they do
this
> just yet.
> Larry
>
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > It sound like the inboard leak phenomenon is occurring at the
> > outboard end of the elevator. Does this agree with your
observations?
> > Perhaps the prop is blasting away the air leaking in at the root
and
> > the outboard leak becomes more significant.
> >
> > Ed m

mbrowner1@...

I was planning on putting fences on the otbd elevators....originally not for
aerodynamics, but to index with control deflection angle marks for my test
phase.

Mike

In a message dated 09/14/2000 6:05:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
tvanmeter@... writes:

<< One would probably only need an upper and lower fence on both the outboard
and inboard of the elevator. The vertical dimensions would be dictated by
elevator travel. The gap could then be "sealed" by the little fuzzy strips.
This setup could still utilize a canard to fuselage fairing or fillet. Ted
- >>

David J. Gall

Larry,

Those spinning yarns at midspan are probably plus or minus about 20 degrees
in line aft from the mid-span elevator hinge, no?

David J. Gall

My Groups | Q-LIST Main Page | Start a new group!

--- In Q-LIST@..., "L Koutz" <koutzl@S...> wrote:
Hi Larry,

I have a hard time dreaming up another expaination for the inboard
flowing tufts. With the elevators down, you get a strong wing tip
vortex at the outer elevator edge. The flow on the top would be
inboard. Seal the outer (and inner?) edges of the elevator and you
eliminate this vortex flow, the tufts should not flow inboard as
readily.
This is why they add droopy wing tips to stol aircraft, to make it
harder for the vortex to roll back onto the trailing edge of the wing
and disrupting the normal airflow over the wing.

As always, I could be wrong.

Ed m

> Ed
>
> I don't read the tufts moving inboard together as a sign that air
is
leaking
> through the outboard elevator/ canard gap. I don't know why they do
this
> just yet.
> Larry
>
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > It sound like the inboard leak phenomenon is occurring at the
> > outboard end of the elevator. Does this agree with your
observations?
> > Perhaps the prop is blasting away the air leaking in at the root
and
> > the outboard leak becomes more significant.
> >
> > Ed m

Jon Finley <finley@...>

David,

I'd have to look to be positive but am pretty sure that is where my spinning
tuft is located. What does this mean/imply???

Jon Finley
Q1 N54JF - 1835cc VW
Q2 N90MG - Subaru EA-81 DD Turbo
Apple Valley, Minnesota
http://63.90.191.136/Finley/finley-subaru.html

> My tufts (3 of them) mid elevator did the same thing, spin around, that
is.
> I don't remember which direction. What do you think of that!?!
> Larry

Jon,

I think it means that you have some air leakage around the hinge. The
higher-pressure air along the lower surface finds its way through the hinge
slot and makes a little jet or invisible geyser of air that sets up two
little counter-rotating vortices in its wake. No big deal unless you're Jon
Sharp....

David J. Gall