From: L Koutz [mailto:koutzl@...]
Sent: November 09, 2000 1:19 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Oil Flows Q-200

I have added 11 JPG photos of my oil flow testing on a Q-200

They show:

Canard Wing root on both sides
Canard wheel pants- inside, outside, top
Wing root leading edge
Wing tip top flow

Some of the flows are ugly! Especially when I thought the rounded wheel
pants were more aerodynamic -shows what I know!

Sorry about some of the orientation of the pictures. I was trying to get
the
"important" stuff all in a picture

Will write more on these picts later-its late!

Larry

eGroups Sponsor

David J. Gall

Larry,

Could you post a link to your pictures? I can't find your website address.

Thanks,

David J. Gall

Pat Panzera <panzera@...>

L Koutz wrote:

I have added 11 JPG photos of my oil flow testing on a Q-200
Where?

Pat

Jon Finley <finley@...>

Where else?? To the Q-List files section.

http://www.egroups.com/group/Q-LIST select files. If you don't see it or
can't select then you are not signed on.

Jon

Could you post a link to your pictures? I can't find your website address.

Thanks,

David J. Gall

> I have added 11 JPG photos of my oil flow testing on a Q-200
>
> They show:
>
> Canard Wing root on both sides
> Canard wheel pants- inside, outside, top
> Wing root leading edge
> Wing tip top flow
>
> Some of the flows are ugly! Especially when I thought the rounded wheel
> pants were more aerodynamic -shows what I know!
>
> Sorry about some of the orientation of the pictures. I was trying to get
the
> "important" stuff all in a picture
>
> Will write more on these picts later-its late!
>
> Larry

> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> http://web2.airmail.net/qba321tm/q-page1.html

eGroups Sponsor

L Koutz <koutzl@...>

I have added 11 JPG photos of my oil flow testing on a Q-200

They show:

Canard Wing root on both sides
Canard wheel pants- inside, outside, top
Wing root leading edge
Wing tip top flow

Some of the flows are ugly! Especially when I thought the rounded wheel
pants were more aerodynamic -shows what I know!

Sorry about some of the orientation of the pictures. I was trying to get the
"important" stuff all in a picture

Will write more on these picts later-its late!

Larry

L Koutz <koutzl@...>

RE: Oil 10-00 Canard Under Wheel (first JPG picture)

This picture shows pretty smooth flow on canard all the way back until the
elevator then the oil on the inboard portion of the elevator must not be
able to jump the gap and stay attached so it doesn't get on the elevator.
The outboard portion shows the oil (probably more oil mass) jumps the gap
and pools in the gap area before moving back on the elevator. The extreme
outboard portion of elevator has more oil on it than what the oil streaks in
front would suggest. This excess oil may have migrated outboard in the gap
area then got sucked out at the end of the elevator.

The oil on the wheel pant is somewhat confused in the radius area of
wheelpant to canard. Just in front of the plate that covers the wheel brakes
(the plate is orientated in real life straight up and down).

#!- One stream is turning downward and runs into the plate. Then the oil
can't jump the gap.

#2- Another area just above Plate (and seem to be behind) is going straight
back. Then curves smoothly down as it moves towards the aft part of the
wheelpant. This is what I wanted the wheelpant to do- push the air downward
(creates lift).

#3- Then a third oil flow going straight back on canard splits gets moved
outboard into the fillet area and suddenly is stopped at the upper boundary
of the #2 oil flow pattern. There is one streak at the very top of the #2
oil flow that is thicker than others and moves all the way to the tail.

Well these are just a few of my comments as I look closely at these oil
flows. I brought up the picture of the oil flow in one window and these
comments in another window and kept flipping back and forth making comments
about flow and then back to the picture to see if my words showed what I
thought the oil flow was doing. I may be reading too much into the patterns
but there does seems to be some confusion to the oil flows as the streaks
don't go aft in smooth parallel streamlined flows like I thought they
should.

My proceedure was to get to the end of the runway, dump oil all over the
area I wanted studied, then take off. I flew maybe 10 minutes up to 160 mph
then landed and took pictures immediately. It is difficult to get oil on the
underside and vertical area (front of wheel pant) and really difficult in
the wing root area as the prop blast was blowing oil all over the place as I
was trying to dump it on that area. I have to find a better method for
getting the oil on like a squirt bottle or a spray bottle. I would really
like to put hundreds of discrete oil dots all over the plane, then go fly.
There is also the problem of airspeed range. There may be one airflow at 80
mph and an entirely different flow at 160mph.

Larry

L Koutz <koutzl@...>

David

Go the the bottom of these messages and you will find a link to
E-groups-click on the link.

Then there should be boxes on the "E-Groups" page and one of them should be
"my groups" -click on that.

Then there are two Q E-mail groups. "Q-list" and "Q-performance"

Click on "Q-list"

Then on the left side there is "Messages, Posts, Files...."

Click on "Files"

You will find Oil Flow JPG's there