From: The Bruce Crains <jcrain2@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 4:45 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Waddelow Canard

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans? Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

Paul Buckley <Buckley@...>

Bruce
My PC is acting up ! Did you get my mail of a few minutes ago listing
the 'Waddelow' canard constructional differences ?
What kind of pics are you thinking of ? An LS1 canard is an LS1
canard,...they all look the same !
On the other hand, I have plenty of girlie pics [ all in good taste !],
courtesy of Gene Cash !!
Paul

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans? Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans? Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Bruce Crain

I'll bite what's the difference?
Bruce Crain

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 00:02:11 -0400 "David J. Gall" <David@...>
writes:
How's about the Weishaar/Doyle carbon-fiber-less canard plans.

David J. Gall

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans? Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

David J. Gall

How's about the Weishaar/Doyle carbon-fiber-less canard plans.

David J. Gall

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans? Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

David J. Gall

Bruce,

They're completely different.

Way back before QAC came out with the LS-1 canard, Larry Weishaar and Jim
Doyle designed and built a LS-1 canard using a box spar built with standard
hand laid-up fibreglass similar to what's used for the Long-EZE main wing,
sized appropriately for the Quickie canard. I understand that they later
converted the plane to a tri-Q, but it did fly originally as a taildragger.
They made plans available for the asking, much like Jinx Hawks and Brock
McCaman did for their Rotax 503 conversion for the Quickie.

I keep seeing the plea year after year for "someone" to come up with some
carbon spars, yet we've had this other resource for 18 years and nobody ever
seems to remember it. Maybe they should have charged $200 for thier plans.

David J. Gall

How's about the Weishaar/Doyle carbon-fiber-less canard plans.

David J. Gall

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans? Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Paul,
I would greatly appreciate the plans and pics! I hope to build the
canard and wing 228" long for extra lift and high alt. flying. Tell me
how much I can pay you and where to send the check. I have the templates
for the carbon fiber LS1 canard. Will they be sufficient to cut the foam
cores? Snail mail is great as our computer is so old that I can't do
pictures or mime form. I'm still busy getting my Q tucked away into the
hanger and cleaning up things in the garage for the "long haul".
Thanks Paul!!
Bruce

P.S. That's ok, you don't need to send the "girlie pictures" I am married
to a real "BABE"!! Sorry girls everyone else is 2nd best. Once when I
was building my Q I told Joanne that her biggest competition was out in
the garage. There that should help some of you guys who are getting
resistance to "your being out in the garage all the time". It takes some
diplomacy and lots of "smooches" to make it happen.

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 01:18:11 +0100 "Paul Buckley"
<Buckley@...> writes:
Bruce
I have the plans and constructional notes for the 'Waddelow' canard
but I
will have to photo-copy them as I don't have a scanner, and send them
snail
mail. This may take a couple of weeks.
Essentially the canard is laid up the same way as the main wing with
the
following differences :-

No dihedral [or anhedral !]
All spar caps longer and tapered
Extra spar cap on upper surface
Extra shear-web from BL15 to BL 57 at 30% cord
Main shear web at 60% cord [the carbon spar is at 55% cord]
Main shearweb reinforced
Glass ribs at BL 15
Cordwise reinforcing strips, 6" wide, on top surface at BL 16
Slightly different planform to simplify cutting cores and fitting
elevators

.......and that's about it !
It should be noted that this canard is for the Tri-Q only, whereas the
Larry
Weishaar and Jim
Doyle canard would appear to be good for the tail dragger.

Paul Buckley

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans?
Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

kimbull mcandrew <kimbullm@...>

Bruce

One thing you will need to adjust for when using the Waddelow lay-up schedule is that it was designed for the GU canard which is a thicker airfoil. Since the LS1 is thinner you will need more spar caps. I used the Dragonfly style of C-spar with carbon spar caps and added several layers of carbon baesd on some calculations I did. A longer wing will even require more caps.

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans?
Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Paul Buckley <Buckley@...>

Hi Bruce
You could do with making new templates without the semi-circular cut out for
the spar. I think I made some spare paper patterns for them so I'll look
them up as soon as I have time, probably next week when I'll also have
access to our company copier.
Waddelow didn't require payment and I certainly don't,..just give me a ride
when it's finished !
You are aware that the plans I have are for the 200" canard ?
Where abouts are you, anyway ?
Paul

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans?
Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Paul Buckley <Buckley@...>

Kimbull
No, the Waddelow lay-up schedule is designed for the LS1.
Paul

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans?
Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Hey Kimbull,
How are you doing! It's good to hear from you! Will you be at Ottawa
this year?
I am planning to convert my Q to a Tri Q so there will be no gear
attached to the canard. Shouldn't be near the stress.
Bruce Crain

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:42:13 +0100 "Paul Buckley"
<Buckley@...> writes:
Kimbull
No, the Waddelow lay-up schedule is designed for the LS1.
Paul

Does anyone have the Waddelow carbon fiberless canard plans?
Pictures
are good to. Ah likes pitchurs.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Bruce Crain

Thanks Paul,
Muchly appreciated!! I figure that if I add an extra 14" to the middle
of the canard and the remaining 14" to the out board ends (7" on each
end) it shouldn't be to hard to blend the extra in with the rest. Or I
could just build the middle to spec and add the 14" to both ends of the
canard. It will take some interesting carving to get it to blend and
taper. Does anyone remember how many layers of glass it takes to make a
16th of an inch? Is it 6? I think this canard should be a little
lighter than the carbon fiber spar. I would enjoy giving you a ride but
it will take some time to remodel.
My address is Bruce Crain
2816 Meadowlark
Enid, OK 73703

B & I Baerg <brirbrg@...>

The Bruce Crains wrote:

Thanks Paul,
Muchly appreciated!! I figure that if I add an extra 14" to the middle
of the canard and the remaining 14" to the out board ends (7" on each
end) it shouldn't be to hard to blend the extra in with the rest. Or I
could just build the middle to spec and add the 14" to both ends of the
canard. It will take some interesting carving to get it to blend and
taper. Does anyone remember how many layers of glass it takes to make a
16th of an inch? Is it 6? I think this canard should be a little
lighter than the carbon fiber spar. I would enjoy giving you a ride but
it will take some time to remodel.
Bruce
To add the extra length to your canard just add the extra length to each
core,ie: for 224" add 6" to each core before hot wiring and blending won't be
necessary. Also be aware that you will have to add the same amount to your
main wing to maintain the same loading balance.
Brad
CGTCA

Robert Bounds

canard. It will take some interesting carving to get it to blend and
taper. Does anyone remember how many layers of glass it takes to make a
16th of an inch? Is it 6? I think this canard should be a little
lighter than the carbon fiber spar. I would enjoy giving you a ride but
it will take some time to remodel.
My address is Bruce Crain
Bruce,
I think it's .011 per ply for bid and .008 per ply for uni. That's an
average. One ply will average a little more, more plies will average a
little less per ply.

Fix that purdy plane.

Bounds
The EZ lurker

Bruce Crain

Excellent idea Brad. Thanks for the advice.
Bruce

Bruce
To add the extra length to your canard just add the extra length to
each
core,ie: for 224" add 6" to each core before hot wiring and blending
won't be
necessary. Also be aware that you will have to add the same amount to
your
main wing to maintain the same loading balance.
Brad
CGTCA

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Bruce Crain

Thanks Robert,
I used your figure of .011 for bid and multiplied by 6 and came up with
.066. I then found .067 on my feeler guage and guess what... it is equal
to 1/16 ". Thanks again.
Bruce

[...]

My E-mail crashed so I have been out of the loop for a few days. I
remember sending you my home address. Is there anything alse I need to
do?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Paul Buckley <Buckley@...>

Hi Bruce
No, I think not............have been away myself for a few days, and, yes,
I have your address.
I have copied most of the plans now, but at the moment cannot find the sheet
with all the stress calcs on it !
Several people have asked for these constructional details, which is OK by
me, but I will have to ask everyone for the cost of postage, otherwise it's
going to get out of hand !
I don't know how much yet, but will probably be in the region of 5, which
equates to about $8.
Paul

My E-mail crashed so I have been out of the loop for a few days. I
remember sending you my home address. Is there anything alse I need to
do?

Thanks Paul,
What's with 5 pounds? I thought you lived in the western U.S. I will go
to the bank and get 5 pounds. 5 looks like less than 8 if you're a
"goober" and I have been accepted to that very position. Any way, where
do I send the "dough"?
Bruce

If you want this off line my e-mail add is <jcrain2@...>

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:49:37 +0100 "Paul Buckley"
<Buckley@...> writes:
[...]

Not sure if you got my previous message what with your email crashing. If you are going to use the Waddelow layups you will have to add extra spar caps as the layup is for a GU airfoil which is thicker than the LS1. Also if you plan to lengthen the canard you will need additional layups as well since the centre of lift moves away from the fuselage. There are some good books available on composite design that can provide the basics. If you wish I can give you the name of the one I used (don't have it handy right now). Also I can send you the layup I used although it will not meet your needs as my span is only 1 foot longer than original and my engine (O-235) is heavier.

Good luck

Kimbull