sliding BROWNer

JMasal@...

J'ever notice that Malechek is a little fussy about his sliding canopy, Mr B.
? If someone is not careful and he gets a little racking, the sliders can
come off track. To stop the racking one has to somehow connect both sides so
they both move simultaneously and equally. I have seen a system of cables and
pulleys on a Dragonfly that prevents an unequal distribution of force but I
ain't got it figured out yet.

The 4 arm canopy that patillo has gets you the air blast but does not lay
down close enough to the front deck when open. This may discourage one from
having it open during taxi. I dunno. It probably racks a little but may be
more stable than the sliders.

j.

Archer Family <blues@...>

You could use two cables and six pulleys I think. Take one cable and run
forward from one side's slide beyond most forward postion , turn 90 degrees
over to the other side, turn aft and back to beyond rearmost position, and
then turn 180 degrees back and connect to aft side of other slide. Do the
same thing from the opposite side. Get the picture? They do the same thing
on automotive lifts, called load equalization cables. Bill Archer

J'ever notice that Malechek is a little fussy about his sliding canopy, Mr
B.
? If someone is not careful and he gets a little racking, the sliders can
come off track. To stop the racking one has to somehow connect both sides so
they both move simultaneously and equally. I have seen a system of cables
and
pulleys on a Dragonfly that prevents an unequal distribution of force but I
ain't got it figured out yet.

The 4 arm canopy that patillo has gets you the air blast but does not lay
down close enough to the front deck when open. This may discourage one from
having it open during taxi. I dunno. It probably racks a little but may be
more stable than the sliders.

j.

JMasal@...

In a message dated 1/1/02 11:19:36 AM Central Standard Time,
patillo@... writes:

I wanted something very simple that I could install quick release locking
pins in. My canopy can be removed in about 10 seconds.

Emergency egress is important to me. I figure you could blow a forward hinge
canopy in about 5 seconds or less. I think 10 for the parallelogram is quite
good... and you have the advantage of summer airflow.

j.

Jim Patillo <patillo@...>

I wanted something very simple that I could install quick release locking
pins in. My canopy can be removed in about 10 seconds.

Materials required: (4) 1" x 12 x 1/4" pieces of flat bar aluminum, four
locking pins and nuts and bolts, very simple. Bottom end of arms attaches
fuselage and top of arms to canopy forming a parallel a gram. There is about
4" between fuselage and canopy when open, providing the "right" amount of
air when taxiing on a hot summer day. Vision is not compromised. "Racking"
is minimal when opening or closing canopy.

I tried both the side hinge and forward hinge before settling on this
configuration.

If anyone is interested in this setup, contact me off line.

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

The 4 arm canopy that patillo has gets you the air blast but does not lay
down close enough to the front deck when open. This may discourage one
from
having it open during taxi. I dunno. It probably racks a little but may be
more stable than the sliders.

j.

JMasal@...

mdwyer@... writes:

type it looks like it would be a little harder to get in
and out of the plane.
I agree. That's the downside of the parallelogram and the forward hinge with
pistons. QAC was designing for a wide variety of occupants.

JMasal@...

shoskins@... writes:

none of these designs are any good when the
plane is upside down.

JMasal@...

shoskins@... writes:

none of these designs are any good when the
plane is upside down.
A good .o2. Been there, done that too... and some form of cutter is vital as
you will not kick your way out.

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

The parallelogram canopy is pretty simple, so I like it, ... but compaired
to the side hinge type it looks like it would be a little harder to get in
and out of the plane. I can eject my side hinge canopy in about a second
(just open it, it will be ripped off right fast!) Taxi cooling of the pilot
on the ground with the side mount is good with the canopy in the safety
latch position (see plans).

Mike Q-200

patillo@... writes:

I wanted something very simple that I could install quick release locking
pins in. My canopy can be removed in about 10 seconds.

Emergency egress is important to me. I figure you could blow a forward hinge
canopy in about 5 seconds or less. I think 10 for the parallelogram is quite
good... and you have the advantage of summer airflow.

j.

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

Regarding emergency egress, none of these designs are any good when the
plane is upside down. I'm speaking from experience. I now carry a really
coarse folding saw (Stanley) for the worse case scenario.

$.02

Sam

Pat Panzera <panzera@...>

Sam Hoskins wrote:

Regarding emergency egress, none of these designs are any good when the
plane is upside down.
Although I find the messages about using airspeed to jettison the canopy
irrelevant, as I don't plan use a parachute, the forward hinge and parallel
hinge systems do offer egress if the ship ends up upside down.

I know of a Dragonfly pilot who found himself in this situation.
He unstrapped himself, unlatched the forward hinge canopy, and was able
to lift the fuselage up off the canopy enough to get out. He didn't have
to lift the full weight of the airframe, as the engine stayed on the
ground and sorta acted like a hinge.

I doubt one could do this with a side hinge canopy, unless the hinges
are quick release too.

Pat

Pat Panzera <panzera@...>

JMasal@... wrote:

type it looks like it would be a little harder to get in
and out of the plane.
I agree. That's the downside of the parallelogram and the forward hinge with
pistons. QAC was designing for a wide variety of occupants.
As with most designs, there's trade off's.

The side hinge canopy offers entry and exit from one side,
first in, last out. Passenger needs out, pilot must exit.

Forward hinging, although the opening may be smaller, allows
for either pilot or passenger to enter and/or exit at will.

Pat

Bob Farnam <bfarnam@...>

I have a simple prop mounted at the back edge of my front hinged canopy which holds the canopy
open about 3 inches at the rear when I want more ventilation on the ground. Opens just enough at
the front to provide a breeze off the prop and still allows vision through the plexiglas.

Bob F.
N200QK

Jim Patillo wrote:

[...]

I have the same as Bob. It also acts as a safety catch if you forget to
latch the canopy. If you want air on the ground I have a rubber grommet
that pushes onto a ball stud (from a gas strut off on a mini van) which
keeps the canopy open about 3 inches. I like the easy access with the
forward hinge.
Bruce Crain

Jim Patillo wrote:

[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to