Purchased Q200

Ron Triano <rondefly@...>

Hi I am new to the Q list but not new to Dragonfly's. I just got a deal
on a Q200, the Owner crashed in another bird as a passenger and was
killed about a year ago. I saw this Q back about a year and a half ago
and was interested in it as it was flying back then. Since he has taken
it all apart. Looks like he was going to change to different landing
gear as the outboard wheels have been completely cut off, along with the
elevators. It has a very low time 0-200 on it and seams to be all there.
I'm sure the engine is worth more than what I paid for everything. Would
sure like some comments on putting the wheels back on the tips of the
canard and what layups are required in that area. He was a 2nd owner and
has no plans. I am at a bit of a loss there.

Thankyou in advance for any help

Ron Triano in sunny South Lake Tahoe, CA

Jim Patillo

Ron,

I have a Q200 flying in Livermore, CA near you. We are having a fly in in August and hope you can make it. There should be several Q's and DF's there. Bob Farnam on the field here may still have wheel pant templates and I have a friend locally that may have some as he built two Q's.

If I were building new wheel pants, I would seriously consider sizing them for 5:00 x 5 tires as the smaller original tires are no longer available. Further consider building the pant with the rear being a "blade" as opposed to pointed. Both Bob and I have tuff tested our wheel pants and found the air comes "unglued" on the top and inside of the wheel pant just rear of the elevator faring. Many RV's and EZE's have made this modification.

Regards,

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

P.S. Whose airplane did you purchase?

Ron Triano <rondefly@...>

Thanks for the reply Jim, I had asked you for a ride at Laughlin when
you took Pat up but never did get together with you, I flew in with
Brad and Allan in Allan's dfly. Yours is a beautiful Q. Chuck Collings
was killed and owned the Q200. He had been flying in a glass air as a
passenger.The engine looks new and has very low time on it. Has there
been any changes to the elevators? Or maybe they just came off with the
cutting of the wheel pants. I really want to keep the outboard wheel
look. I have hoop gear on my dfly.
Thanks

Ron Triano

I have a Q200 flying in Livermore, CA near you. We are having a fly in
in August and hope you can make it. There should be several Q's and DF's
there. Bob Farnam on the field here may still have wheel pant templates
and I have a friend locally that may have some as he built two Q's.

If I were building new wheel pants, I would seriously consider sizing
them for 5:00 x 5 tires as the smaller original tires are no longer
available. Further consider building the pant with the rear being a
"blade" as opposed to pointed. Both Bob and I have tuff tested our wheel
pants and found the air comes "unglued" on the top and inside of the
wheel pant just rear of the elevator faring. Many RV's and EZE's have
made this modification.

Regards,

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

P.S. Whose airplane did you purchase?

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Jim Patillo

Ron,

Does your plane have an LS1 canard? As far as I know the elevators did not change and can be reinstalled per plans. Can your plane be flyable after the wheel pants are glassed on? If not how much more has to be done.

I am increasing the HP on my plane and if yours has not been done already you may seriously want to consider it. They are kinda guttless around Tahoe on a warm day loaded.

Regards, Jim N46JP Q200

[...]

It has the origional canard, wish it was the LS1. He has the engine
removed and some of the wireing so I have to go through everything. I
will be checking everything and balancing the elevators, rudder and
ailerons for starters. I would be interested what there is to do with
the 0-200 for more horsepower, Being at 6245' elev. I am very familar
with denisity altitude for the last 39 years. We like turbo's up here. I
am enclosing a picture in jpeg of what it looked like last year.

Ron Triano

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
065618:HM/A=1000239/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=102243488
3%3eM=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705065618:HM/A=10002
39/R=1>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egrou
pmail/S=1705065618:HM/A=1000239/rand=334453685>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Chris McAtee <Subcanis@...>

Jim Patillo Wrote:
<<I am increasing the HP on my plane and if yours has not been done already you may seriously want to consider it. They are kinda guttless around Tahoe on a warm day loaded.>>

HA! Try anything here in Casper, or worse yet, in Laramie (Wyoming). DA of 10,000ft isnt uncommon. Paul Spackman has been flying here on a Revmaster for years. I think you just want to go faster Jim, lol.

Chris McAtee
Q-Vair (in progress)
Email:
subcanis@...
subcanis@...
Home:
2917 Pheasant Dr.
Casper, WY 82604
(307)265-5375
School:
University of Wyoming
614 White Hall
Laramie, WY 82071
(307)766-8670

Mike Perry <dmperry@...>

At 09:12 PM 5/25/02 -0700, Ron Triano wrote:
[snip]
Since he has taken it all apart. Looks like he was going to change to
different landing gear as the outboard wheels have been completely
cut off, along with the elevators. [snip] Would sure like some
comments on putting the wheels back on the tips of the canard
and what layups are required in that area.
This might mean he was in the process of doing the "Dave Gall" Wheel
alignment (by repositioning the wheel pants). From James Postma (emphasis
added):
"If you are a builder I would use the Bob and Jim mods with the Gall wheel
alinement. It is EASIER TO SET THE CAMBER WITH THE WHEEL PANTS than with
the axle. Set the wheel pants at 3 degrees of positive camber relative to
the canard and drill the axle at zero camber at full load. This leads to
fewer problems with wheel/tire clearance and brake alinement. "

The Dave Gall article is on the QBA website at

http://QuickieBuilders.org/links.html

Ron, much of what has been published here and on previous lists and in the
QBA newsletter concerns problems with ground handling. The Q2/Q200 is a
great flying airplane, but many people have had trouble with landings.
There are at least three approaches to fixing ground handling problems:
-- The Dave Gall Wheel Alignment
-- A larger rudder
-- The "Jim Bob Six Pack" from Jim Patillo and Bob Farnam:
a.. Reflexor mod
b.. Belly board mod
c.. La Rue Brake mod
d.. Toe brake mod
e.. Bellcrank mod
f.. Full swiveling tail wheel mod
Much of this is discussed in a threads that begin 12-21-01. Access the
archive thru Yahoo groups. The threads are:
Great flying airplanes!
Ground Handling
Great flying airplanes: details please Great flying airplanes:
brake details please
Re: [Q-LIST] a bit more on axle alignment There was an incredible
amount on Q-list on Wheel alignment, ground handling, etc. in Dec. 2001;
this may all relate to your current project (esp. the Dave Gall article).
I suggest you review all that then come back with questions. Also:

He was a 2nd owner and has no plans. I am at a bit of a loss there.
I think Mike Brown is the current librarian but I don't know how to reach
him -- someone else chime in -- you really need a set of plans -- if no
other source I will see about copying what I have but it is 11 x 17 format
and not easy to get that.

Mike Perry