2003 Fly-In

Letempt, Jeffrey CW4 <letemptj@...>

Hello everyone. You better sit down before you read any further. Ok are
you sitting down? Good!

How would you guys feel about moving the 13th Annual Field of Dreams Tandem
Wing Fly-In from KS to MO? See why I told you to sit down. The date for
the event would remain the same (3-5 OCT 2003). Spud contacted me several
weeks ago and we talked about the future of the fly-in. He had some
negative feedback about the lodging, availability of restaurants and
accessibility to the location (nothing negative about the airport).

He is a firm believer that the fly-in should be in the middle of the US and
that it would probably be a good idea if we moved around once in a while. I
know this is a big shock to some of you guys that have been attending the
fly-in in KS for the last 12 years and I fully expect some people to think
it is a bad idea.

What is really important is that we get together, (IMO) it really doesn't
matter where it is held as long as it is centrally located. Last year the
airplanes flew in from KS, IL, SD, IA, and UT. I have heard through the
grape vine to maybe expect a couple of really fast Q's to be coming over
from the West Coast for this years event!!! Is it really important that we
hold this event in KS, or is it just important that we all get together to
share our love of tandem wing airplanes?

I have created a discussion group on Yahoo at:

I would love to have you join and discuss the fly-in. On the site are
several files and links for you to check out. I really think this could be
a great event and if the weather cooperates we could see upwards of 20
tandem airplanes at the event. In any case, I look forward to seeing you
all at the fly-in.....no matter where it is held!!!

Jeff LeTempt
Dragonfly - N1277W

One Sky Dog

In a message dated 2/7/2003 1:09:45 PM Mountain Standard Time,
shoskins@... writes:

Hold on there! I liked Burlington, a lot, and didn't have any problems with
the hotel, other than being a little pricey. We received very good service
with the Burlington airport manager and we need to foster those
relationships.

Unless something has gone wrong with Burlington since last year, I vote we
stay.

And by the way, Sullivan is a lot closer to me than Burlington.

Sam
I am with Sam, and it is a lot more centrally located in the US.

Regards,

One Sky Dog

Letempt, Jeffrey CW4 <letemptj@...>

I know it is way to early to get an accurate indication of what the group is
thinking as a whole, but very early returns are very positive. I wanted to
just put out a introductory announcement to get the pulse of the group. I
have been asked for more details and I would be happy to oblige.....

If it is the general consensus that a move would be beneficial the fly-in
would be held at Sullivan, MO (KUUV). They built the entire airport from
scratch just 11 years ago. There is a 4500' x 75' runway with a parallel
taxi way. There are 5 hotels within 1.5 miles of the airport. Many
restaurants within 2 miles from the airport. Sullivan is right on I-44, 30
miles from the population center of the US. Just a 1 hour drive from St
Louis Lambert International Airport that is served by 14 major airlines.

If you want to see a draft copy of the article that will go out in the
Q-Talk and DBFN as well as a decision matrix, historical weather information
paper for the area, and several web links for the Sullivan area all you have
to do is go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TandemWingFly_In/ and join the
group or I will email them to you directly.

Jeff

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

[...]

Sam,

I appreciate your comments and I agree that the airport staff and airport
facilities were great!!! One problem is that Spud is wanting to hand over
this responsibility (if at all possible) to someone else. Unless someone
else wants to organize this event via long distance phone calls then I think
it is only reasonable that the person who has agreed to take on the
responsibility should be able to choose a location that makes it easy for
him to do all the coordination (as long as it is in the middle of the US).

Jeff

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

jnmarstall <jnmarstall@...>

If the incentive to move is to accommodate the gracious individual who is
willing to organize this wonderful weekend of fun for us all, I say lets go
whereever he wants to go. Sullivan sounds like a nice facility. Also give
the ladies a nice town to visit just up the street. Always wanted to go up
in the Arch.
Jerry

[...]

Jerry,

If you have the time...I would highly encourage you to visit the Gateway
Arch. I grew up about 50 miles South of St Louis in Southern IL (before I
joined the Army over 18 years ago) and I have been up in the arch several
times. Sullivan is only about maybe an hour from the arch (just guessing).
Plan on spending a few hours - you will be glad you did!! The ride in those
little capsules is a lot of fun plus they have a great museum and theatre
(all under ground between the legs of the arch). I have a link to the
official and un-official arch web site on the Yahoo Group fly-in planning
site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TandemWingFly_In/

Jeff

[...]

Sickler, Terry L <terry.l.sickler@...>

I'm not going to bitch. These fly-ins are a lot of work and if we can make
it easier on the organizer, I'm for it. ~T~

[...]

JMasal@...

The standard has been set. Anybody who wants to put the bit in his teeth and
organize a different location to that standad... I will go where he decides.
STL is great for those who will come by aluminum tube and need a car and has
attractions for those who wont be at the fly-in every minnit of the 3 days.
You set it up, I'll help when I git there.

j.

DDD <log@...>

Traffic around ST Louis can be a bad but other than that it sounds OK. It
would be very handy for those flying the major airlines in , It makes no
difference to me if it is Missouri or Kansas just be ware of that if this is
a new airport there will be no bargains and it is also close to 6 flags
amusement park which means the Hotels will not be cutting deals. Just my
2 cents Darrell

[...]

Darrell,

Sullivan is far enough away from STL that traffic is not problem. Sullivan
is also far enough away from 6 Flags that lodging prices would not be
effected. 6 Flags is a cool place, but it is nothing like Disney. Most
people come in for the day and head home. Additionally; by October the park
is only operating on the weekends and visitors are way down even then.

Jeff

[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Patrick Panzera <panzera@...>

Ok, so what do we call this thing?

The mystique of "Ottawa" is gone forever, the taboo of keeping the event at
one locations is now broken, the propensity to move it about is now upon us,
so for the sake of communication, I propose we give this annual gathering of
all things tandem winged a name that we can use and keep, no matter where it's
located.

We have other regional tandem wing fly-in's throughout the year (Laughlin,
Livermore, Matoon), so simply calling the "The Tandem Wing Fly-In" wouldn't
work.

Something short and simple should work. In the past, simply saying "Ottawa"
said it all. Recently, "Coffee Break" seemed like a proper moniker for the
annual event. But again, since there's always a chance that it can me moved
from place to place throughout the coming years, one name (which don't have a
geographic connotation) would make sense to me.

Thanks!

Pat

Letempt, Jeffrey CW4 <letemptj@...>

Mr. Jimmy (or James if you prefer),

The bar was set pretty high last year with the facilities at
Burlington...IMO Sullivan is as good or better in every respect except 1,
there are no shower facilities on the airport for campers. I am trying to
work something out with regards to that and I have a few things that may
work.

Thanks for your support and offer of assistance!!

Jeff

The standard has been set. Anybody who wants to put the bit in his teeth
and
organize a different location to that standad... I will go where he
decides.
STL is great for those who will come by aluminum tube and need a car and
has
attractions for those who wont be at the fly-in every minnit of the 3
days.
You set it up, I'll help when I git there.

j.

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Letempt, Jeffrey CW4 <letemptj@...>

Darrell,

Fenton is about 5-10 miles East of 6 Flags and Sullivan is about 35 miles
West of 6 Flags. I am going to be working with the 5 hotels that are within
1.5 miles of the airport and the Chamber of Commerce trying to secure a
discounted rate for the event. Included in the 5 hotels are 3 nice newer
hotels and a couple of older mom and pop places (at one time they were
probably a Holiday Inn or something - back in the 60's). I am going over to
visit each hotel soon and I will report on the rates of each.

Jeff

.

[...]

As the fly in itself is concerned I have only been to two of them. I
[...]

In a message dated 2/8/03 10:01:50 AM Central Standard Time,
letemptj@... writes:

...IMO Sullivan is as good or better in every respect except 1
Then you are in good shape. There may be lots of flak and chaff about this
but bottom line is wasted bandwidth unless someone will step forward (as you
have) and offer to lead the charge to their location. Dont waste energy on
anything except planning the event. Let others chase their own tails. As
many of us who can will show up for the aviation no matter what goes on at
6flags or the arch or whatever. The star of the show is aviation.

j.

DDD <log@...>

:You are correct. I always for some reason insist on saying I am going
south when I go to fenton. I have a huge mental block for some reason.

[...]

In a message dated 2/9/03 9:21:12 AM Central Standard Time, log@...
writes:

I fail to see how having a discussion is chasing a tail
So let me educate you. Once Spud sez he isnt going to do the fly-in all the
discussion about Ottawa or Coffee or wistful rememberances is much ado about
nothing unless it is attached to someone volunteering to take over. It
doesnt matter where you WISH it would be. 1500 emails of discussion about the
good ol days when you have a volunteer with a new site and ready to rock and
roll is anal retentive to me. Let's just step up and help out.

Patrick Panzera <panzera@...>

letemptj@... writes:

...IMO Sullivan is as good or better in every respect except 1
Then you are in good shape. There may be lots of flak and chaff about this
but bottom line is wasted bandwidth unless someone will step forward (as you
have) and offer to lead the charge to their location.
That's about a ludicrous suggestion. Discussing it openly can only lead
to a better event. ...but actually the ludicrous part of this suggestion
is to think that Jeff is actually stating that if it's not at Sullivan,
then he won't be the promoter.

He ain't no baby like that!

Through open discussion, it may come that Sullivan may not be the best place,
or that there may be another place that's somewhat better. That's no
reason to think that Jeff would bail out, it's up to him, and he ASKED
for suggestions, and he's getting them, and has implemented one rather
huge one that I'm aware of.

Yes, Sullivan would be much easier for him, but any other location would
not be impossible. He's a capable guy, enthusiastic about this, and
I'm sure that if it's logical that it not be at Sullivan, he'd not want out.

IMHO, such thinking (that the promoter needs to have the event in his
home town) is a slap in the face of Don and Debbie who did an AWESOME job
at Ottawa for many years (as well as Laughlin and Avra Valley)... totally
LONG DISTANCE!

Don's house to Ottawa...............1250 miles (20 hour drive)
to Laughlin..............200
to Avra Valley...........180

Jeff's house to Sullivan..............40 Miles
to Ottawa...............271
to Coffee...............317

Please don't take this as a lack of an endorsement for Sullivan. Actually
for me personally, it'll work out better than Ottawa or Coffee. All I'm
trying to say is that with open communication, we might discover something
which could be potentially disastrous, while Jeff still has time to do
something about it.

Additionally, some great points about Sullivan may come to light, which
Jeff might have failed to promote. Folk who are on the fence might be
swayed to make the trip if a certain deciding factor came to light.

I want nothing more than to see that Jeff's first event goes off w/o
a hitch, and if it takes a bit or flack (aka suggestions) from the troops
this early in the game, then so be it. Taking flack now (in enough time to
consider a few changes) is WAY better than living with any form of failure,
especially if it may deter other's from attending future events.

I know we can't please everyone, but I'm sure we can work together to help
Jeff make this thing ROCK!

Pat

DDD <log@...>

I fail to see how having a discussion is chasing a tail but if you do that
is fine. I did not realize anyone had said anything negative about this
site. Just asking questions. Hence the reason for a discussion group.
I have actually thought of having a fly in at my home airport but I
have not been at this long enough to provide all of the builders forms that
everyone benefits from. We do have a hotel that will accommodate everyone
which is owned by a pilot friend of mine . Actually several hotels and
several good restaurants. There is even a beautiful state park with lots
of camping close to my home .
The only problem with my airport is that there is only one hanger big
enough to have airplanes in over night and then they would have to be moved
to have any activities in the day time. . There is a lot of tie down space
and a very long runway. The city is supposed to build a new building on the
grounds and another group is supposed to build another row of hangers and
then I think it would be better. Perhaps at some time a small fly in to
see what some of the group thinks of the place.
One other draw back is it is 2 and a half hours for anyone traveling
by commercial airline. I know for some that is a very large problem.
Perhaps a new name for the fly in as Pat suggested could be the MId
West Fly in Since I presume the Kansas fly in will always be held some
where in the Mid West depending on who has the time or wants to host it.