Sparrow Strainers

damiantwinsport@...

In a message dated 11/1/2003 5:13:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rondefly@... writes:

http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page3.html
Ron I appreciate the postings and progress pics . What is the purpose of the
"Sparrow Strainers"
Regards,
Damian Gregory

rondefly <rondefly@...>

Now they are in place, I am starting to detail all the little spots
everywhere to get ready for paint. You can see the strainers on my web link
below and I also will upload them to the Q list photo's under (Changing)

Ron Triano, Quickerone
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page3.html

rondefly <rondefly@...>

They are part of the origional design and necessary. Since I did not build
this from zero, My understanding is they aid the airflow over the
elevator's. Maybe some of the flying Q's will give us the exact job they do.

Ron Triano, Quickerone

rondefly@... writes:

http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page3.html

Ron I appreciate the postings and progress pics . What is the purpose of
the
"Sparrow Strainers"
Regards,
Damian Gregory

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

David J. Gall

Ron,

I don't have a flying Q, but I'll try to answer your question. Sparrow
strainers are like big, fixed trim tabs. They make it possible for you to
pull enough up elevator to fly. They also increase "stick-free" pitch
stability. They are mandatory for flight if you have the LS-1 canard. Flying
without them could leave a permanent mark....

David J. Gall
BSAE, Comm Inst ASMEL, AGI, CFIAI (expired)
Quickie kit owner

I don't have a flying Q, but I'll try to answer your question. Sparrow
strainers are like big, fixed trim tabs. They make it possible for you to
pull enough up elevator to fly. They also increase "stick-free" pitch
stability. They are mandatory for flight if you have the LS-1 canard.
Flying
without them could leave a permanent mark....

David J. Gall
BSAE, Comm Inst ASMEL, AGI, CFIAI (expired)
Quickie kit owner

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Ron,
As I understand it the small airfoil on the sparrow strainer provides some counter lift to lessen the load when the elevator is pulled down into the airstream.
Peter

I don't have a flying Q, but I'll try to answer your question. Sparrow
strainers are like big, fixed trim tabs. They make it possible for you to
pull enough up elevator to fly. They also increase "stick-free" pitch
stability. They are mandatory for flight if you have the LS-1 canard. Flying
without them could leave a permanent mark....

David J. Gall
BSAE, Comm Inst ASMEL, AGI, CFIAI (expired)
Quickie kit owner

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

rondefly <rondefly@...>

I don't have a flying Q, but I'll try to answer your question. Sparrow
strainers are like big, fixed trim tabs. They make it possible for you
pull enough up elevator to fly. They also increase "stick-free" pitch
stability. They are mandatory for flight if you have the LS-1 canard.
Flying
without them could leave a permanent mark....

David J. Gall
BSAE, Comm Inst ASMEL, AGI, CFIAI (expired)
Quickie kit owner

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

One Sky Dog

In a message dated 11/2/2003 3:00:09 PM Mountain Standard Time,
peterjfharris@... writes:
Ron,
As I understand it the small airfoil on the sparrow strainer provides some
counter lift to lessen the load when the elevator is pulled down into the
airstream.
Peter
To all,

The small upside down clark airfoil attached behind the elevator (commonly
called sparrow strainers) are fixed to pull the elevator down so it is in trail
with the airfoil. This is required because the elevator sees the same wing
line. Allowing this to pivot up by letting one of your sparrow strainers come off
in flight results in a DIVE unless you hold back pressure on the stick. The
pressure is manageable but you don't want to go too far before correcting it.

Once the elevator is close to flying where it should with a stick free
shallow climb, the spring trimmer is dialed in with a bit of down force on the
elevator to trim to level flight. The whole mess is quite touchy to get just right,
I am still messing with mine 5 years after I got the plane, it is a Dragonfly
but sparrow strainers are the same on both planes.

Regards,

One Sky Dog

Bob Farnam <bfarnam@...>

If I can expand on David's note a little. The LS1 airfoil has an
undercambered lower surface with a fairly large pitching moment. When the
trailing edge is hinged to act as an elevator, the trailing edge wants to
streamline up from it's original position. The sparrow strainers are fixed
trim tabs that counteract that force and push the trailing edge back into
it's proper position. That relieves the load that would otherwise be
countered with trim springs and/or stick force. Since it is aerodynamic
instead of mechanical, the force increases with increasing airspeed at the
same time that more force is needed. This is how I think of the effect they
have on pitch stability. It is also my belief (unverified) that they are
place inboard in the prop blast to help counter pitch down with increasing
power. David?
Bob Fl
N200QK

I don't have a flying Q, but I'll try to answer your question. Sparrow
strainers are like big, fixed trim tabs. They make it possible for you to
pull enough up elevator to fly. They also increase "stick-free" pitch
stability. They are mandatory for flight if you have the LS-1 canard.
Flying
without them could leave a permanent mark....

David J. Gall
BSAE, Comm Inst ASMEL, AGI, CFIAI (expired)
Quickie kit owner

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

rondefly <rondefly@...>

Thanks for the help Bob and David, I just installed them as per the drawings
and added 1" to the arms per Al Kittleson. You can see pictures of them on
my web site and also the photo's section of the Q list.
Ron T

Ron Triano, Quickerone
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page3.html

I don't have a flying Q, but I'll try to answer your question. Sparrow
strainers are like big, fixed trim tabs. They make it possible for you
pull enough up elevator to fly. They also increase "stick-free" pitch
stability. They are mandatory for flight if you have the LS-1 canard.
Flying
without them could leave a permanent mark....

David J. Gall
BSAE, Comm Inst ASMEL, AGI, CFIAI (expired)
Quickie kit owner

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

damiantwinsport@...

Sky Dog, Thanks for the great understandable explanation of the device.
Regards,
Damian Gregory

David J. Gall

Bob,

Absolutely! Good explanation. I especially like your thought about why
they're inboard. As usual, you make very good sense.

David J. Gall

I don't have a flying Q, but I'll try to answer your question. Sparrow
strainers are like big, fixed trim tabs. They make it possible
for you to
pull enough up elevator to fly. They also increase "stick-free" pitch
stability. They are mandatory for flight if you have the LS-1 canard.
Flying
without them could leave a permanent mark....

David J. Gall
BSAE, Comm Inst ASMEL, AGI, CFIAI (expired)
Quickie kit owner

Thanks Sky Dog. That is clear.
Peter