Quickie green urethane 210

David Haydon <dhaydon@...>

Hi,
Does any one know if the green urethane 210 used in the Q1 fuse is the
common or garden variety 2 to 2.2 lb cuft green or tan urethane stuff
thats used by the insulation industry? ( the foam guys here (Oz) look
at me rather blankly when I ask about green urethane 210) The samples
I have of the local seem pretty solid in compression but minute
particles seem to come off on your hands when you touch it. I wonder
how good an epoxy/glass skin bond would be on it. If it is OK, apart
from its non hotwire-ability why wouldn,t you use it for the wing cores?
Your comments appreciated.
Cheers ,
David Haydon

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

David J. Gall

David,

The green/tan stuff is unsuitable for wing cores. Yes, it is "garden variety" foam -- literally! It is very much the same stuff florists use for flower arrangements. It comes apart in your hands as you describe, and is easily shaped by rubbing with a block of the same material, or a wire brush. It is also resistant to solvents, an important feature for the fuselage.

I think that better materials are available today. The Last-a-Foam sold by such outlets as Aircraft Spruce would be a good choice as a substitute, although it would require some minor re-engineering and it has a higher density (about 4 lb. / cu. ft.). It might be a good idea to contact some Long-EZ builders and find out about their fuselage construction details, then go from there....

Good luck,

David J. Gall
Q1 builder