Sport pilot legal?

anav8r_guy <anav8r@...>

Subject line says it all.

I had first looked into purchasing a "Q" kit in the '80s but time did
not permit me to pursue it. I instead bought a Cessna 172 and later
177RG. I am now again considering building a "Q" but need to
re-educate myself about the aircraft. Since I plan to fly under the
new Sport Pilot rules and not my rusty commercial ticket will a Q2 fit
into the new Sport Pilot aircraft criteria? Although the gross weight
and max cruise speed are within limits with a landing speed of 70mph
is the stall speed under the 51mph maximum? It appears the single seat
Quickie fits in the Sport Pilot category but I'd really like to get
two seats instead of one.

Any information or guidance you might provide would be appreciated.

Regards,
John

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Not even close as I understand the rules. Pitch Buck = Canard Stall;
happens at over 60 mph in the best of these planes. Even with VG's James
Postma can't get under 60 mph.

Mike Perry
Atascadero, CA

At 12:44 AM 11/28/2004 +0000, you wrote:

Subject line says it all.

I had first looked into purchasing a "Q" kit in the '80s but time did
not permit me to pursue it. I instead bought a Cessna 172 and later
177RG. I am now again considering building a "Q" but need to
re-educate myself about the aircraft. Since I plan to fly under the
new Sport Pilot rules and not my rusty commercial ticket will a Q2 fit
into the new Sport Pilot aircraft criteria? Although the gross weight
and max cruise speed are within limits with a landing speed of 70mph
is the stall speed under the 51mph maximum? It appears the single seat
Quickie fits in the Sport Pilot category but I'd really like to get
two seats instead of one.

Any information or guidance you might provide would be appreciated.

Regards,
John

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
<http://www.quickiebuilders.org>http://www.quickiebuilders.org

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqrmu/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065618:HM/EXP=1101689061/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>1391114.jpg
1391182.jpg

*
* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
----------

James Postma <james@...>

John,

No the stall speed is too high. The best I can get is 60 mph with my vortex
generators.

James Postma
Q2 Revmaster N145EX
Q200 N8427
Steilacoom, Washington
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT
May your header tank be always full and your wings right side up.

I had first looked into purchasing a "Q" kit in the '80s but time did
not permit me to pursue it. I instead bought a Cessna 172 and later
177RG. I am now again considering building a "Q" but need to
re-educate myself about the aircraft. Since I plan to fly under the
new Sport Pilot rules and not my rusty commercial ticket will a Q2 fit
into the new Sport Pilot aircraft criteria? Although the gross weight
and max cruise speed are within limits with a landing speed of 70mph
is the stall speed under the 51mph maximum? It appears the single seat
Quickie fits in the Sport Pilot category but I'd really like to get
two seats instead of one.

Any information or guidance you might provide would be appreciated.

Regards,
John

anav8r_guy <anav8r@...>

Does this also apply to the Q1? I'd hope for a slower stall speed from
a small plane with a sub mach cruise speed. Is there a future for the
Q1 as a Sport Pilot capable aircraft?

John
So Oregon

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@c...> wrote:
Not even close as I understand the rules. Pitch Buck = Canard
Stall;
happens at over 60 mph in the best of these planes. Even with VG's
James
Postma can't get under 60 mph.

Mike Perry
Atascadero, CA

Subject line says it all.

<mailto:Q-LIST-unsubscribe@...?subject

*
* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
----------

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

If the brains trust would coordinate and focus on the task of getting that stall speed down to 55mph Q2 and Q1 ....that would be one giant leap for Q-kind.
Peter

Does this also apply to the Q1? I'd hope for a slower stall speed from
a small plane with a sub mach cruise speed. Is there a future for the
Q1 as a Sport Pilot capable aircraft?

John
So Oregon

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@c...> wrote:
> Not even close as I understand the rules. Pitch Buck = Canard
Stall;
> happens at over 60 mph in the best of these planes. Even with VG's
James
> Postma can't get under 60 mph.
>
> Mike Perry
> Atascadero, CA
>

> At 12:44 AM 11/28/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Subject line says it all.
> >
> >I had first looked into purchasing a "Q" kit in the '80s but time
did
> >not permit me to pursue it. I instead bought a Cessna 172 and later
> >177RG. I am now again considering building a "Q" but need to
> >re-educate myself about the aircraft. Since I plan to fly under the
> >new Sport Pilot rules and not my rusty commercial ticket will a Q2
fit
> >into the new Sport Pilot aircraft criteria? Although the gross
weight
> >and max cruise speed are within limits with a landing speed of
70mph
> >is the stall speed under the 51mph maximum? It appears the single
seat
> >Quickie fits in the Sport Pilot category but I'd really like to get
> >two seats instead of one.
> >
> >Any information or guidance you might provide would be appreciated.
> >
> >Regards,
> >John
> >

> >Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> ><http://www.quickiebuilders.org>http://www.quickiebuilders.org
> >

> >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqrmu/M=298184.5
639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065618:HM/EX
P=1101689061/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://w
ww.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>1391114.jpg
> >1391182.jpg

> > *

> > *
>
> ----------

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada

haiqu

John,

The answer is "maybe". Official stall speed of the Q1 is 53,ph which
is a whisker over the requirements. This has been discussed very
recently, please backtrack the list.

Rob

--- In Q-LIST@..., "anav8r_guy" <anav8r@c...> wrote:

Does this also apply to the Q1? I'd hope for a slower stall speed from
a small plane with a sub mach cruise speed. Is there a future for the
Q1 as a Sport Pilot capable aircraft?

John
So Oregon

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@c...> wrote:
Not even close as I understand the rules. Pitch Buck = Canard
Stall;
happens at over 60 mph in the best of these planes. Even with VG's
James
Postma can't get under 60 mph.

Mike Perry
Atascadero, CA

At 12:44 AM 11/28/2004 +0000, you wrote:

Subject line says it all.

[...]

Peter,

The target is 51mph (45 kts). The Q2 will never make it.

Rob

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Peter Harris" <peterjfharris@b...> wrote:
If the brains trust would coordinate and focus on the task of
getting that stall speed down to 55mph Q2 and Q1 ....that would be one
giant leap for Q-kind.
Peter
Does this also apply to the Q1? I'd hope for a slower stall speed from
a small plane with a sub mach cruise speed. Is there a future for the
Q1 as a Sport Pilot capable aircraft?

John
So Oregon

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@c...> wrote:
> Not even close as I understand the rules. Pitch Buck = Canard
Stall;
> happens at over 60 mph in the best of these planes. Even with VG's
James
> Postma can't get under 60 mph.
>
> Mike Perry
> Atascadero, CA
>

> At 12:44 AM 11/28/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Subject line says it all.
> >
> >I had first looked into purchasing a "Q" kit in the '80s but time
did
> >not permit me to pursue it. I instead bought a Cessna 172 and later
> >177RG. I am now again considering building a "Q" but need to
> >re-educate myself about the aircraft. Since I plan to fly under the
> >new Sport Pilot rules and not my rusty commercial ticket will a Q2
fit
> >into the new Sport Pilot aircraft criteria? Although the gross
weight
> >and max cruise speed are within limits with a landing speed of
70mph
> >is the stall speed under the 51mph maximum? It appears the single
seat
> >Quickie fits in the Sport Pilot category but I'd really like to get
> >two seats instead of one.
> >
> >Any information or guidance you might provide would be appreciated.
> >
> >Regards,
> >John
> >

> >Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> ><http://www.quickiebuilders.org>http://www.quickiebuilders.org
> >

> >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqrmu/M=298184.5
639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065618:HM/EX
P=1101689061/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://w
ww.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>1391114.jpg
> >1391182.jpg

> > *

> > *
>
> ----------

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada

Service.

quickie <quickie@...>

Built and flown light - with the LS-1 canard - the Q-1 should be LSA legal.

As long as you don't stuff too much Hp into it :-)

Leon McAtee