N44BJ

britmcman99

Kevin:

Consider this. Had your car been equipped with an 0-200 Continental engine,
I'd bet a dollar to a dime that you would have managed to seize that engine
too. Engine management probably was not in your realm of interest back in
those days. Consider what success you might have had if you had watched your
cylinder head and exhaust gas temperatures. Just imagine.

Cheers,

Phil

David Posey <dlposey-atlanta@...>

Have purchased N44BJ less engine (O-200). Will be powered with a Corvair when I finish. Does anyone on the list have any info relevant to this Tri-Q ? If so please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Kevin Fortin <kfortin@...>

David and gang,

In the below reference to a Corvair engine, my thoughts went back to my
dune buggy days. I was never impressed with the engine, but at the time
we could buy a complete car for $40.00, so price prevailed. I may be
crazy or just uninformed, but my thought was when I read this, I would
never want a Corvair engine on anything of mine that might kill me if it
quit.

Maybe someone has worked out the details of making the Corvair a
reliable aviation powerplant but I just wanted to throw out my
"terrestrial only" experience with the thing and say; I'm not so sure. I
had an engine overheat and seize on 2 occasions. (I have to admit, we
weren't too kind to them).

If I had the financial choice, (and I admit the O-200 can get a bit
spendy) I would go for the aviation engine, which I know is pretty darn
crude, but has been proven over the years as pretty darn bulletproof.

In any airplane that lands as fast as a Q, wants to avoid an off field
landing if at all possible. The landing speeds are so high the
probability for "bad" is too high to be ignored.

My opinion and nothing more,

Kevin Fortin
sales@...

Have purchased N44BJ less engine (O-200). Will be powered with a Corvair
when I finish. Does anyone on the list have any info relevant to this
Tri-Q ? If so please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Kevin Fortin <kfortin@...>

David,

An afterthought:

In my Pitts, which lands about the same speed as the Q, but probably has
more robust landing gear, I wear a parachute. In the case of an engine
out, with the Pitt's flight removable canopy, I PLAN TO JUMP if I can't
see an obvious place to put it down. (I'm a skydiver and I know
parachutes work well). I also know 70 or so miles an hour over rough
ground in a plane that doesn't really even like rough runways will
really suck.

I want to do everything I can to prevent ever having to make that
decision.

Kevin

Have purchased N44BJ less engine (O-200). Will be powered with a Corvair
when I finish. Does anyone on the list have any info relevant to this
Tri-Q ? If so please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Kevin Fortin <kfortin@...>

Phil,

You are absolutely right! (At 16 years old, we both know engine
management didn't play a big role).

On the other hand, being an engineer (I know that dulls the dialog a
bit), I know there was a process that the guys went through to certify
the O200 that included a lot of things that are only visible when you
are looking at things in the aviation mind-frame.

That said, it makes me trust the O200 more because it was designed for
flying applications and has been proven there. (I know from personal
experience that sometimes things that seem obvious are radically
different when one looks at the tiny details).

Keep thinking out of the box anyway, it keep fuddy-duddys like me from
wrecking the fun!

Kevin

Consider this. Had your car been equipped with an 0-200 Continental
engine,
I'd bet a dollar to a dime that you would have managed to seize that
engine
too. Engine management probably was not in your realm of interest back
in
those days. Consider what success you might have had if you had
watched your
cylinder head and exhaust gas temperatures. Just imagine.

Cheers,

Phil

David Posey <dlposey-atlanta@...>

Thanks for your opinion.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Have purchased N44BJ less engine (O-200). Will be powered with a Corvair
when I finish. Does anyone on the list have any info relevant to this
Tri-Q ? If so please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

David Posey <dlposey-atlanta@...>

Hey, guys all I asked for was info on one particular air frame, not to
start a controversay.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Have purchased N44BJ less engine (O-200). Will be powered with a Corvair
when I finish. Does anyone on the list have any info relevant to this
Tri-Q ? If so please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Dave Richardson <dave@...>

Hi Kevin,

You can learn more about the excellent work done by A&P William Wynne at:

http://www.flycorvair.com

Dave Richardson

Consider this. Had your car been equipped with an 0-200 Continental
engine,
I'd bet a dollar to a dime that you would have managed to seize that
engine
too. Engine management probably was not in your realm of interest back
in
those days. Consider what success you might have had if you had
watched your
cylinder head and exhaust gas temperatures. Just imagine.

Cheers,

Phil

Patrick Panzera <panzera@...>

I had the crank from a 3500 hour TT (1400 SMOH*, just a few hours out of annual)
O-360 A3A in a Cherokee 180, snap in half and jamb itself up in the crankcase
webbing (the engine completely stopped and would not turn by hand) while under
the hood, on a full power missed approach. Fortunately we had enough altitude to
make "the impossible turn" from the x-wind departure leg, and landed back on the
opposite runway from which we had just over flown.

Had it been actual IMC, I'd probably be dead now. Had we been 100'-300' lower,
the plane would be broken now. We were lucky.

Long and short of it, engines can and WILL bust, be they auto conversions or
certified. There is no certification fairy that will magically protect you if
you fly certified, or will cast an evil spell on you if you fly an auto
conversion.

BTW, I've never had a car engine bust on me... ever. I've worn them out, I've
had system failures, I've run out of gas, but I've never had one seize on me or
fail in any way, as long as spark and fuel were being properly fed to it.

Pat

*hours are from memory

[...]

You might want to read up on the process of getting an engine certified. It
might just scare the beejeebies out of you. Ford and GM do WAY more R&D and
testing on their engines than anyone wanting to get an engine certified would be
required to do (or has been required to do in the past). With some time and
money (and not many actual test stand or flight hours), I could get the Corvair
certified, and I'd have to change nothing from the way it's currently being
"converted" for aviation... which is basically accessories. (I might have to put
in a second set of plugs, but it's been done, flight proven, and there are
conversion plans available.)

Additionally, did you realize that a run out certified engine can be busted
down, parts cleaned and inspected, found to be at the extreme wear limit (but
still inside the specified limit) put back together, and called 0-SMOH?

One hour later (or maybe 100 hours if you prefer), the majority of the mostly
worn parts could then be out of spec.

Pat

HawkiDoug <hawkidoug@...>

Ah, a little spirited conversation never hurt anyone! So let me add to the controversay... Bugs are better!!! (VW's that is) Best engine ever made as long as you can keep the prop on!!!! :)

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Have purchased N44BJ less engine (O-200). Will be powered with a Corvair
when I finish. Does anyone on the list have any info relevant to this
Tri-Q ? If so please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Larry Severson

At 11:53 AM 11/30/2004 -0600, you wrote:

Ah, a little spirited conversation never hurt anyone! So let me add to the
controversay... Bugs are better!!! (VW's that is) Best engine ever made as
long as you can keep the prop on!!!! :)
Look at the added 4th bearing in the front of the Revmaster (VW) and be prepared to be impressed. Prop won't leave.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...

HawkiDoug <hawkidoug@...>

Pat P. said: "BTW, I've never had a car engine bust on me... ever. I've worn them out, I've
had system failures, I've run out of gas, but I've never had one seize on me or
fail in any way, as long as spark and fuel were being properly fed to it."

I don't know if I want to fly with you Pat! :)

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

[...]

Sorry Larry, you are new and it was an inside joke to those who know me and the story of my prop falling of. Long story which will be chronicled in an upcoming Q-Talk Newsletter.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

At 11:53 AM 11/30/2004 -0600, you wrote:

Ah, a little spirited conversation never hurt anyone! So let me add to the
controversay... Bugs are better!!! (VW's that is) Best engine ever made as
long as you can keep the prop on!!!! :)
Look at the added 4th bearing in the front of the Revmaster (VW) and be
prepared to be impressed. Prop won't leave.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...

John ten Have <Jtenhave@...>

David,

sometimes you get that as a free bonus...

John

Hey, guys all I asked for was info on one particular air frame, not to
start a controversay.

David Posey
dlposey-atlanta@...
112 Timber Ridge Court
Woodstock, GA 30188
678.640.9671 Mobile

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada

One Sky Dog

In a message dated 11/29/2004 11:08:45 PM Mountain Standard Time,
kfortin@... writes:

Phil,

You are absolutely right! (At 16 years old, we both know engine
management didn't play a big role).

On the other hand, being an engineer (I know that dulls the dialog a
bit), I know there was a process that the guys went through to certify
the O200 that included a lot of things that are only visible when you
are looking at things in the aviation mind-frame.

That said, it makes me trust the O200 more because it was designed for
flying applications and has been proven there. (I know from personal
experience that sometimes things that seem obvious are radically
different when one looks at the tiny details).

Keep thinking out of the box anyway, it keep fuddy-duddys like me from
wrecking the fun!

Kevin

Kevin,
Check it out Corvairs have been flying for a long time. Learning the facts
avoids postulating pontifications.
_http://flycorvair.com/_ (http://flycorvair.com/)

Regards,

One Sky Dog

Larry Hamm <LDHAMM@...>

Hey Charlie, can I use that? I've had need of it lately!
Larry Hamm
PS-Did you get my response to your post about the EZ-Trim?

OneSkyDog@... wrote:

Learning the facts avoids postulating pontifications.

One Sky Dog

In a message dated 12/3/2004 8:54:22 PM Mountain Standard Time,
LDHAMM@... writes:

Hey Charlie, can I use that? I've had need of it lately!
Larry Hamm
PS-Did you get my response to your post about the EZ-Trim?

OneSkyDog@... wrote:

Larry,
Use what? I thought I responded to the ez-trim. I need to get a strong
servo and mount it in but I would like to try your altitude hold board.

Regards,

Charlie

britmcman99

Well Written, Kevin. The primary difference being that an aircraft engine
drones on at a fairly constant RPM while in cruise. The harmonic resonance
usually affects ancillary systems (i.e. Things bolted on) that eventually
succumb to fatigue. It is interesting to note that most engine related failures
are ancillary in nature (i.e. fuel, electrical, etc.) even amidst aircraft
engines.

Cheers.

Phil

I love my 0-200. That said, I have a friend that invented a Triumph
motorcycle powered helicopter, The Adams-Wilson Hobbycopter. He died at a elderly age
of natural (non-aviation related) causes. Pistons is pistons. They go up
and down in pretty much the same way.

Larry Hamm <LDHAMM@...>

Charlie,

I wanted to use your comment:

"Learning the facts avoids postulating pontifications."

I like it!

You did respond to my post, but I sent a query before I found and read your response. I think we're all caught up now!

I hope to have another EZ-Trim unit finished and tested in a month or so, what with the holidays. I'll holler when it's ready!

Larry