Engine Primer

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Hi All,
Anybody familiar with those engine primers where there is a pump in the cockpit that squirts gas up near the head for better starting in cold temps? I'd like to know if anyone has built their own or has any ideas on how to best implement it on an 0-200A. Mine just has the accelerator pump that blows gas on the carb throttle plate. No real prime, pretty poor below 60F.

Thanks,
Mike Q-200

,

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

Mike,

The standard cheap way to go is with a primer pump and a 1/8" line that goes
to the spider, just above the carburetor. The pipe thread is already there.
You can use one port for a manifold pressure take-off and the other for the
primer. This accomplished pretty much the same as using the accelerator
pump, but reduces wear and tear.

If you are going to prime the cylinders directly, there needs to be a fuel
injection inlet port. Only some cylinders have this feature. I'm not
familiar with any O-200 cylinders that use it. Typically you will see a
1/8" NPT plug on the cylinder, but that's for the cylinder head temp probe
and it's a blind hole. I think.

Does this help? I know how cold it can get here you line.

Sam HOskins

Murphysboro ( southern) Illinois

_____

Anybody familiar with those engine primers where there is a pump in the
cockpit that squirts gas up near the head for better starting in cold
temps? I'd like to know if anyone has built their own or has any ideas
on how to best implement it on an 0-200A. Mine just has the
accelerator pump that blows gas on the carb throttle plate. No real
prime, pretty poor below 60F.

Thanks,
Mike Q-200

,

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129s43pqr/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1705065618:HM/EXP=1102253462/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http:/www.n
etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
:HM/A=2434971/rand=395702461>

_____

James Postma <james@...>

Mike,

Aircraft Spruce has one similar to the ones used in certified aircraft and
Great Plains has one for less money.

They are plumbed to squirt fuel into the lower intake manifold just behind
the carburetor.

James Postma
Q2 Revmaster N145EX
Q200 N8427
Steilacoom, Washington
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT
May your header tank be always full and your wings right side up.

Anybody familiar with those engine primers where there is a pump in the
cockpit that squirts gas up near the head for better starting in cold
temps? I'd like to know if anyone has built their own or has any ideas
on how to best implement it on an 0-200A. Mine just has the
accelerator pump that blows gas on the carb throttle plate. No real
prime, pretty poor below 60F.

Thanks,
Mike Q-200

,