From: Jim Patillo [mailto:logistics_engineering@...]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 9:33 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Oil Seperator

Hi Sam,

I do not use the standard seperator sold with the kit but one that
is about 2" dia x 5" mounted behind the baffle on the pax side. The
5/8" breather line flows into and through the seperator as usual and
exits bottom pax side.

The bottle is mounted in a craddle (large Adel clamp mounted on
firewall with safty wire basket twisted to make craddle)and mounted
just under the dip stick tube. It is easily removable with one hand
for draining. This works really slick. I dump it every 7-10 hours
and by that time the bottle is 1/4" full.

As far as the bottle goes, I went to a $$(dollar) store and bought a
1/2 sized Fred Flintstone microwaveable bottle. (Pretty sofisticated
huh?) It comes with a nipple and solid top. Throw away the nipple
unless you have some sort of fetish, otherwise keep it. Drill a hole
in the solid top to accept plastic barbed fitting. Screw barbed
fitting into top of solid cap and attach overflow tube from
seperator. The cap is screwed on tight.

This is a very simple solution to an oil problem (belly oil)with
most all 0200's.

Hope this helps!

Jim P.

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Sam Hoskins" <shoskins@m...> wrote:
Jim, I like this idea. Just one question - where is the crankcase
vented
to? Is the baby bottle sealed tight?

Sam

_____

From: http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm#carb_parts
Remove the cam gear and any parts associated with the vacuum
pump
drive. The vac pump gear acts like a big fan and will blow all
of
the
oil of the engine at high rpm.

I'm going to rip off my cam gear now!

Is anybody running without an oil separator?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

Dave,

I originally had the return from seperator dumping back into my oil
tank but did not want that nasty used "stuff" back in my engine. I
too still have that capability but choose not to use it.

Are you going to Laughlin? If so do you wnat to go with us from
LVK?

Jim P.
--- In Q-LIST@..., "David Chalmers" <David@C...> wrote:

I have a firewall mounted oil separator (ACS homebuilder type). I
used to take the drain tube into a plastic bottle mounted in a
couple of pipe clips on the firewall. The tube was just a loose fit
in the top of the bottle and it never spilled in flight. Bottle is a
small shampoo bottle I think - about 6" high and 2" diameter.
Draining the bottle became a chore but it was useful to be able to
measure how much oil was being blown out. I welded a 1/4" tube to
the oil filler neck and connected the drain tube to it - no more
bottle emptying required. (Yes, I have read all the pros and cons of
putting the oil back in the sump). The bottle holder is still there
so if I ever want to measure the output I can stick it in the bottle
for a few hours but I prefer the no-maintenance drain to the sump.

Dave Chalmers
TriQ200 N4016G (200 hrs)
Redmond, WA

From:
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm#carb_parts
Remove the cam gear and any parts associated with the vacuum
pump
drive. The vac pump gear acts like a big fan and will blow
all
of
the
oil of the engine at high rpm.

I'm going to rip off my cam gear now!

Is anybody running without an oil separator?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

David Chalmers <David@...>

Jim, I don't think I'll make it to Laughlin this year. I just got done with the yearly maintenance including replacing the engine instruments with an engine monitor (grand rapids EIS4000) and changing to a capacitive fuel level sensor. Still have to get it back to the airport and tested. Don't think it's going to happen in time. Thanks for the offer though - it would be fun to fly over as a group.

Dave Chalmers
TriQ200 N4016G (200 hrs)
Redmond, WA