N275CH Piston question

Kevin Fortin <kfortin@...>

Guys,

Charlie Harris had installed what Terry Sickler thinks is Venolia racing
pistons in N275CH.

I am in the process of taking those out and replacing them with either
"standard" pistons or am looking for another well proven piston that is not
as high compression as the Venolia. Does anyone have any suggestions.

In case you are curious my reasoning here is:

1. Cylinder #1 was right on the bottom edge of limit when compression
tested for the airplane's annual.

2. Terry Sickler said he had burned up either 2 or 3 of these pistons.
( I can't quite remember the number he told me).

3. I knew Charlie was anticipating putting an oil cooler on the
airplane before he became ill. To me this indicates that he was fighting
heat after rebuilding his engine with these pistons.

4. I don't need the additional performance, I want reliability.

Also, does anyone know how to remove the Venolia piston wrist pin retaining
ring? Other than using a Dremel and a cutoff wheel I can't imagine a way.

As always, Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Jim Patillo

Kevin,

My experience is when you install high compression pistons you will
need an oil cooler because of the added heat.

Jim Patillo Q200 N46JP

3. I knew Charlie was anticipating putting an oil cooler on the
airplane before he became ill. To me this indicates that he was
fighting heat after rebuilding his engine with these pistons.

4. I don't need the additional performance, I want reliability.

Kevin

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

Just to show that there is always another viewpoint. I have high
compression pistons and absolutely do not need an oil cooler. I do have
full plenum baffles which does a better job of using the air coming into the
inlets. Dave Richardson showed how I fabricated them in a Q-talk, about two
years ago.

Sam

_____

My experience is when you install high compression pistons you will
need an oil cooler because of the added heat.

Jim Patillo Q200 N46JP

3. I knew Charlie was anticipating putting an oil cooler on the
airplane before he became ill. To me this indicates that he was
fighting heat after rebuilding his engine with these pistons.

4. I don't need the additional performance, I want reliability.

Kevin

_____

Sam,

Hope your mom and dad are getting better! I really do know what
you're going through.

Once again, I should have better qualified what I said. "There is an
exception to everything", and I'm sure there are others out there
with high compression engines and no cooler. However, if you take a
poll of all the inmates, I'll bet there are more with um than
without um on pumped up 0200's. I guess its an easy way to solve a
heat problem.

Baffeling does play a very important part in cooling and as such
should be well thought out and installed correctly! How's that?

Sorry your not going to be in Laughlin. Its always a pleasure to
talk with you.

Jim P.