From: "Mike Dwyer" <mdwyer@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 4:58 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Exhaust System.

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

Dorothea Keats and Chris Walterson <dkeats@...>

Mike -------- The ceramic coating really keeps the heat off. I have an
exhaust made from mandrel bent mild steel and I use the spray or paint
on "ceramic " coating from JC Witney. Works well and although I've
accidently touched the exhaust several times, there's no flesh left
behind.------------- Canada Chris

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

I had it done for the 4 into 1 on my Revmaster. Not only did it help with heat reduction in the cowling, you don't have rusty pipes.
Jerry

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ... you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It appears only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.
Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

Greg & Debbie Merrill

Ditto!

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

rondefly@...

Is this Ceramic coat a dipping process or did you just spray the exterior?

Ron & Carolyn Triano Q-200 N4710P

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

Ron,

There's a place in Redwood City that ceramic coats exhaust pipes with
a process called Jet Hot. They wire clean the inside and outside and
coat both sides. They mainly do racing headers but will do airplanes.
My 4:1 cost $75.00 for the full monty. I've done mine twice. It
works very well.

Colors are white, black and aluminum.

Jim P.

Mike Dwyer wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim, I’ll check it out.

Ron T

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system
and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It
appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each
pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this
place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the
heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a
waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

of
Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

_____

Greg & Debbie Merrill

This is the place I used and they do nice work!

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Greg

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

Dave <dave@...>

Hi Greg,

Did you use the 1300 degree or the 2400 degree stuff?

Do you recall what you paid for them to do yours? (Q2 or Q200)?

Thanks,

Dave Richardson

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It
appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

Greg & Debbie Merrill

Dave
Don't recall the temperature rating as it was almost 7 years ago when I had
my pipes done. The finish is the standard silver(ish) color and as I recall,
the cost was around $175. They do nice work! Almost forgot, this was for the
Revmaster 2100D 4 into 1 exhaust system.

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It
appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

Dave <dave@...>

Thanks! I had heard between $175 and $225 for the Revmaster pipes.

Jim got a good deal for only $75. Jim, Do you recall if you got the
1300 or 2400 degree stuff?

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It
appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

_____

rondefly@...

Jim, do you remember the name of the place in Redwood City? I could not find
it on the web.

Ron T

Ron & Carolyn Triano Q-200 N4710P

This is the place I used and they do nice work!

http://www.jet-hot.com/ <http://www.jet-hot.com/>

Greg

Mike Dwyer wrote:

Hey Qers.
I had written about putting together a stainless exhaust system and ...
you were right, it is next to impossible to bend that stuff. It
appears
only the mandrel bend machines can touch it.

Now I'm thinking about using steel to make a 4 pipe system. Each pipe
will exit at the bottom near the oil sump. I checked out this place
that ceramic coats the pipes, $20 per foot. They say it keeps the heat
in the pipes better. Does anyone here believe that or is it a waste of
money?

Thanks,
Mike Q200

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

_____

Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> > .

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

_____

Neil Jepsen <njepsen@...>

Jim why did you do it twice? Did the first one fail or did you want a change of colour?
neil
rondefly@... wrote:

Thanks Jim, Ill check it out.

Ron T

Mike Dwyer wrote:

[...]

As I recall the white coating is 1300 degrees and the black
andaluminum is 2400 degrees.

Jim P

--- In Q-LIST@..., Neil Jepsen <njepsen@i...> wrote:
Jim why did you do it twice? Did the first one fail or did you
want a
change of colour?
neil
rondefly@r... wrote: