From: Dave [mailto:dave@...]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 1:30 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Clocking the prop

His message was #7001 if you want to read his original description.

Dave Richardson
Tri-Q2 N825DR 3.5 hrs

P.S. Had my third flight this past weekend. The engine ran like a
champ. Seems like the adjustments to the carb I was working to achieve
paid off.
Hope to start pounding out the hours now. DAR

Dave <dave@...>

Thanks, Guys.

Learned or figured out several things on this flight. Primarily I
figured out to lead with the mixture when making throttle changes and
move each a little bit at a time. On my first two flights I was moving
the throttle first and it would go rich and cause vibrations. Then I
would move quickly to the mixture to try and get it smooth again. More
vibrations would cause me to pull the mixture faster and more than I
should have. That's what led to me almost killing the engine on base
with the mixture on the second flight. I'm sure with more experience
with the settings that I'll be able to get more efficient in making
throttle changes. For now, I'm going to lead with the mixture.

Thanks again,

Dave

Great to hear you are flying your Tri-Q2 again. Hopefully you will have
your hours flown off and have everything working well so you can fly to
Sullivan in September.

Jeff

His message was #7001 if you want to read his original description.

Dave Richardson
Tri-Q2 N825DR 3.5 hrs

P.S. Had my third flight this past weekend. The engine ran like a
champ. Seems like the adjustments to the carb I was working to achieve
paid off.
Hope to start pounding out the hours now. DAR

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

Dave, have you had a fifth flight yet?

Sam

_____

His message was #7001 if you want to read his original description.

Dave Richardson
Tri-Q2 N825DR 3.5 hrs

P.S. Had my third flight this past weekend. The engine ran like a
champ. Seems like the adjustments to the carb I was working to achieve
paid off.
Hope to start pounding out the hours now. DAR

_____

David Richardson

Hey Sam,

Thanks for asking.

I did get another flight in last weekend before leaving on a week-
long business trip to Vegas. Got in 2.2 hours on that flight. Did
climbs and descents per the FAA suggested syllabus and had excellent
results. The air temps were in the high 70's and I was seeing 100
temps inside the cockpit. The NACA vents to the cockpit seemed to do
their job and keep me realatively cool. I'm still wearing my Nomex
flight suit and gloves so that's saying alot. I went from 1 minute
to 5 minutes of climbs at 115 mph, 105 mph and 95 mph and the temps
looked very consistent and steady. There was one time I did notice
the temps going higher when I was doing a 4 minute climb that got my
attention. Then I relaized I had been messing with the cowl flap
during the cooling period between runs and left it closed for the
climb. Opening it up brought the temps right back in line again. At
this point I am very pleased with the cooling. (knock on wood!)
Even the 5 minute run at 95 mph did not bring up the temps very high.

The mixture changes worked out better this flight. It shouldn't take
too long before I can anticipate where the mixture needs to be for
the different throttle settings.

The landing was less frenetic than the last primarily because I
controlled my airspeed much better on base and final and everything
else fell into place. I was very pleased with the landing. Can't
wait to do pattern work to really dial it in.

Thanks again for checking in.

Dave
Tri-Q2 825DR 5.8 hrs!