Fuel pump

MartinErni@...

Bruce,
I have finished installing a facet pump and check valve as you
described. Fuel flow checks ok. Full power ground runs ok. Will flight test when
weather permits.
Thanks for you help. Is there any reason to not run the boost pump at
all times like we do the main pump? Seems there would be less chance of pilot
error that way. Also, did you use an oil pressure switch in the positive wire
to your boost pump to shut it off in case of an accident?

Thanks again
Earnest

Bruce Crain

Hey Earnest!
I don't run the boost pump all the time. Just gravity feed will work for cruise. I also don't run the pump full time for transfer either but then I have 2 transfer pumps (1 with 3/8" line) so it transfers fuel quickly.
I didn't put an oil pressure switch in the positive wire. Sounds like a great idea though. I will probably just leave it simple at this point.
When you are coming in for a landing turn the boost pump on early. If the engine gets rough turn it off. The pump only puts out 4 to 6 psi but if the float sticks it could flood the carb. I have not had that problem but my friend Gene Martin said his Dad suggested that. He owns Martin Induction System (carbs, turbos, etc for aircraft). Not very likely but just so you are aware.

On a side note when I am down at a low MSL and run the MT prop on manual I can see 3100 rpms or better (changed my static rpm to a higher setting). The engine has surged on several occasions until I pull back on the power. At 6500' MSL it didn't do that as I believe the engine isn't putting out as much power and the mixture is not as lean. I believe the mixture down low is not enough for climb out at that rpm so be aware if you are using that many rpms on take off. Gene Martin says there is something you can do to the mixture nozzles to make them richer but I don't think it is necessary with the right technique and rpm. I don't run the engine at the higher rpms but I wanted to be able to get off the ground early and establish a good climb rate in the mountains,

Bruce

-- MartinErni@... wrote:
Bruce,
I have finished installing a facet pump and check valve as you
described. Fuel flow checks ok. Full power ground runs ok. Will flight test when
weather permits.
Thanks for you help. Is there any reason to not run the boost pump at
all times like we do the main pump? Seems there would be less chance of pilot
error that way. Also, did you use an oil pressure switch in the positive wire
to your boost pump to shut it off in case of an accident?

Thanks again
Earnest

Get Juno Platinum for as low as $6.95/month!
Visit http://www.juno.com/bestoffer to sign up today!