Quickie 1 engine

Chino <chino_volador@...>

Hi, I´m new in the group, I´m from Argentina.
I want to know if it is posible to use in a Q1 a Rotax 277, 337 or a Mosler (35 HP).
Some of you have experience with this kind of engine?
Thanks ind advance for your kind attention.

Diego del Alamo

David J. Gall

Diego,

Rotax 447 or 503. Visit the files section on the yahoo group website and look for the "super Quickie conversion" .pdf.

David J. Gall

Hi, I´m new in the group, I´m from Argentina.
I want to know if it is posible to use in a Q1 a Rotax 277, 337 or a Mosler
(35 HP).
Some of you have experience with this kind of engine?
Thanks ind advance for your kind attention.

Diego del Alamo

Chino <chino_volador@...>

Yes, I saw the file, but I want to know your opinion about the use of that kind of engines. If a Rotax 277 have enought power to fly the Quickie.
Thanks for your kind attention.
Regards,
Diego del Alamo

Correo Yahoo!

David J. Gall

Diego,

A Rotax 277 might have "enough" power to fly a Quickie, but you'd be challenged to fit the muffler within the cowl. The increase in horsepower over the Onan engine would be lost to increased drag from the muffler and the net result would be that you'd still have an underpowered airplane (in my opinion).

Why go to such effort for little or no gain?

David J. Gall

Yes, I saw the file, but I want to know your opinion about the use of that
kind of engines. If a Rotax 277 have enought power to fly the Quickie.
Thanks for your kind attention.
Regards,
Diego del Alamo

Chino <chino_volador@...>

I want to aproach the original 18 HP with another engine. A 447 or 503 seems to be too much power...
Regards,
Diego

Correo Yahoo!

Robert Bounds

That seems kind of odd. I've never met an active pilot that thought his plane had too much power. The 18 hp Quickie is pretty lame at high temps or altittudes. You will add about 30 pounds with the bigger motor and if you don't want to use the power, just don't push the throttle as far ahead. The fuel burn at similar horsepower settings (among the 2-strokes) is the same. But if you ever really need the extra power, you will need it badly. Whatever......
Bounds