B&C Starter and Lightspeed Ignition Update

Jim Patillo

Its hard to believe its been almost 17 months (Dec 2003)since I
installed LSE dual electronic ignitions in my Q. I am happy to report
that after the initial learining and installation curve, the ignitions
have performed flawlessly even through a close up lightening storm last
year. They allow the 0200 to idle at 450-500 RPM and start in 1/2 crank
of the prop. The engine runs smoother and can be leaned much further
than before. The engine produces more power and the fuel consumption
has dropped at higher altitudes. The ceiling is 19,500'. Thanks Klaus!

You may recall the major failures(3)I had with the Skytech starter.
Since switching to a B&C I've never had another problem. Rich Chappee
was very helpful but in the end I had to make the switch because
frankly I was getting tired of pulling the engine. Thanks Bill
Bainbridge!

I'm now working in another area to further refine my plane and when I
get a handle on it I will share that information as well. Can't let Sam
Hoskins get to far out front, you know.

Regards,
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

P.S. Brad and I may break loose and fly to Oshkosh afterall, just
depends on his schedule. Good Luck on the race Sam, kick ass on those
EZE's!

P.S.S The comment I made about adding things to your plane comes from
experience. I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.

French <LJFrench@...>

Ditto Jim,
Also from experience. I built what I still believe in most cases to be a "lean" aircraft and am looking for every chance to get rid of weight.....and working on a diet for myself does not seem to be working either.

Maybe I'll see you as OSH. I'm planning on heading that way.

LF

P.S.S The comment I made about adding things to your plane comes from
experience. I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.

French <LJFrench@...>

Hmmmmm......He really is not giving us very many clues at this point. Wants to keep up with Sam and shedding 30 lbs. - must be somethting with the engine......hopped up Jabiru maybe?????
LF

Can't let Sam
Hoskins get to far out front, you know.

I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Nah -- shedding 30 lbs. -- its a new diet. Wasn't that Jim on
TV? Carefully selected amino acids and helium?

Mike Perry

At 12:37 PM 7/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Hmmmmm......He really is not giving us very many clues at this point. Wants
to keep up with Sam and shedding 30 lbs. - must be somethting with the
engine......hopped up Jabiru maybe?????
LF

Can't let Sam
Hoskins get to far out front, you know.

I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

damiantwinsport@...

Losing weight is simple ,put a smaller battery in and remove that electric srarter . Hand crank it like I saw Sam H doing. (crafty devil)

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200

Hmmmmm......He really is not giving us very many clues at this point. Wants
to keep up with Sam and shedding 30 lbs. - must be somethting with the
engine......hopped up Jabiru maybe?????
LF

Can't let Sam
Hoskins get to far out front, you know.

I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

Ron <rondefly@...>

Say Damian, You have been pretty quiet lately, getting any done on that
canard? Will you be coming to the livermore fly-in? Guess that's the next
one for me. Been too busy, and Momma's to do list is cutting into my Q
building time on the weekends. Still am sneaking some time on the Q though
each week.

Ron T

Ron Triano N4710P
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page8.html

_____

Hmmmmm......He really is not giving us very many clues at this point. Wants
to keep up with Sam and shedding 30 lbs. - must be somethting with the
engine......hopped up Jabiru maybe?????
LF

Can't let Sam
Hoskins get to far out front, you know.

I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

damiantwinsport@...

Ron good to hear from you as a matter of fact I have been getting alot done on the firewall ,I have my engine mocked up. The swing away mounts on , the removeable firewall box installed just have to make the stringers. The Spars I got from Phil off this list for my canard are a different story. 20 inches too short but the right taper. I have a freind who will let me use his big Clausing lathe with a 48" taper attatchment so I can cut plugs to use in constructing a big Lego joint. The idea is to make tapered plugs out of urethane foam . Bond them together with the correct Anhedral and sweep . Then make a plaster two sided mold over it. Then cast washout plaster into that. Dry the washout plaster then release it with pvc then wind and lay-up pre preg over it and then run it in the autoclave. The clave is just long enough . If I time it right I can get it done at the autoclave certification class and the processing will be zip. The angle peice will have minor tapers on the ends that will fit inside the too short spars. I will bond them together then run carbon braid over the joint . I have found a new resin formula RT cure 8 hr pot life for the slow catalyst and it is like caro syrup so it wets out easy and gives me plenty of time to get vacum bags on it. I am going to do some peel tests against the QAC parts to make sure they are compatable. I got a gallon kit as a sample and put a deck on my Daughter's surfboard as it is UV protected as well. It worked sweet on the board I used IR lights in a box to speed up the cure and the elevated post cure temp gives it better mechanicals as well.( LONGBOARDS RULE)
I am going to have my right shoulder fixed June 22 (ripped tendons and torn rotator cuff 32cm) so I will be one handed for a while. I am rushing all the projects out as quick as I can ( Thank God for Vicodin)
I saw you are looking for oil filters for your engine you must be gettting close to firing that puppy up!
Man I wish I was as close as you are to flying!
Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200

Hmmmmm......He really is not giving us very many clues at this point. Wants
to keep up with Sam and shedding 30 lbs. - must be somethting with the
engine......hopped up Jabiru maybe?????
LF

Can't let Sam
Hoskins get to far out front, you know.

I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

What do you mean the spar was 20" too short??? Isn't it based on the original Quickie spar?

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Hmmmmm......He really is not giving us very many clues at this point. Wants
to keep up with Sam and shedding 30 lbs. - must be somethting with the
engine......hopped up Jabiru maybe?????
LF

Can't let Sam
Hoskins get to far out front, you know.

I wish now I had absolutely kept weight to a minimum. I
plan on extricating 30 or so lbs soon.
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Damian if they were sold to you as 0-200 spars and they are not then maybe you could get a refund. Seems like someone might have shortened the spars for use on a Q1 then found them too thick.
Peter