Older Rotax 503

rondefly@...

I sent this to the Q1 list but didn't get any response's. so will try other
lists.
I have a lead on an older 503, it has the points for ignition and there are
not the bolt holes for the reduction drives, has anyone adapted a
reduction
* to this engine? I'm sure it could be done with belts but don't know where
to start, Is there any way I could adapt a reduction box to this engine?

Thanks Ron T

Ron & Carolyn Triano Q-200 N4710P
My Web
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page8.html
Quickie 1:
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page9.html
Livermore Fly-in
http://www.farnamengineering.com/LivermoreTandemWingFlyin.html

David J. Gall

Ron,

Save your money. Don't use that old boat anchor. It'll kill you in a Quickie
and it's not even eligible for the Rotax trade-in program since it doesn't
have a gearbox.

You want a newer 503 with dual Ducati ignition, oil injection, and a 'B'
gearbox with a 2.58:1 gear ratio (2.00:1 if you wanna be like Norm Howell).

No cheap-o substitutes.

David J. Gall
(Just my humble, unsolicited recommendation.)

[...]

David, Thanks for the info, thought it was so cheap for some reason. But who
is Norm Howell? Don't know of him.

[...]

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

" on the web.

_____

Jon Finley <jon@...>

Amen! In fact, think twice about using a two-stroke at all.

Jon Finley

[...]

Visit your group "Q-LIST" on the web.

rondefly@...

[...]

Well... I'm not exactly advising you to go with the four-cylinder VW. I think
there are a number of really good four-stroke options available. However; it
seems that you have to choose between an expensive engine that is mostly ready
to go or a cheap(er) engine that needs a bunch of work. The HKS immediately
comes to mind.

Most of my VW knowledge has evaporated away. If memory serves, the largest
engine in a vehicle was 1600cc. You typically just get a Type 3 engine and
then build it to the size you want. I understand that all the parts folks want
a year though - I think I always used a 1968 Bug.

If you are really serious about a VW and don't mind doing a bunch of work - let
me know. I have a bunch of ideas about what I would do if doing it again.

Jon

Quoting rondefly@...:

Jon, What year VW has the 1835s, What should I look for?

MartinErni@...

Dave,
Glad to see you getting some quality time with your loved ones.
Earnest

rondefly@...

Thanks Jon for the reply, at this point I really don’t know how I will go,
but will keep you in mind if I go with the VW.

[...]

mike twombley <twombleyw@...>

Hi all!!

An 1835 is a Type I VW using a stock 69 mm stroke and 92 mm bore size...
thought by many to be a poor compromise due to the thin cylinder thickness
and the resultant tendency to cool poorly. In my experience they run good
but are not particularly long lived. Ring sealing being my biggest
complaint. I used to commute up and down State highway 99 in the central
valley of California, 180 miles a day in a 63 VW bus in a series of 1835
and 1776 motors for some years and the 1776s would outlast the 1835s 2:1.
The high heat and the poor inherent cooling of an early bus is brutal. Ring
seal was always the failure mode in the 1835s!! Unless I committed a fatal
operator error. Use of Nicasil (nickies) cylinders will help here
considerably. Isn¹t a 4 cylinder VW a little heavy on a Q1?

Hummel advertises 45 HP with their twin with 92mm ³nickies². Of course
conventional wisdom is, torque is everything in aircraft. I would be curious
what kind of increase in torque a 92 mm bore 74 mm stroke twin would offer.

My biggest question is what is the best approach on a 1/2 VW case, cut and
welded or uncut?

I would sure like a lot more detail about Tom Solan¹s Super Quickie. That
looks like a really well thought out modification, anybody got anything on
that??? Tom, are you out there?? I searched the database and came up dry!

John, thanks for the good Quickie resources on your website.

Thanks

Mike

From: Jon Finley <jon@...>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:03:24 -0500
To: Q-LIST@...
[...]

web.
*
*
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

David J. Gall

Ron,

Norm Howell built a sweet Quickie called the "Ugly Quickling" in the 80's.
He set some records in it with his highly modified Onan (not fire-breathing,
just intake, exhaust, and >>lotsa good cooling mods<< hint hint). After he
got tired of the Onan (poor climb), he switched to a Rotax 503 with a 2.00:1
gearbox. I think he used the Miller-style cowl. The gearbox necessitated a
tiny prop, with quite high pitch. The climb was a little better than with
the Onan, but the cruise speed was way up there. I don't recall a solid
number from anything published, but IIRC there was something about 150mph at
50% power and some talk about the airframe redline being around 170mph and
that being easily do-able at cruise....

I'd have to look things up to verify all the foregoing so don't take it as
gospel. Do your own research. Sport Aviation magazine Sept. 1987 page 48 for
the Onan powered version. Q-Talk back issues for the Rotax upgrade info
(sorry, I don't have issue numbers).

BTW, I have a 503 set aside for my Quickie for after the Onan scares me too
much. The oil injection is a necessity in my opinion. The non-injected
engines rely on the fuel mix for lubrication and at high airspeed/low
throttle, the lubrication just isn't enough for the high RPM at which the
prop is turning the engine such as during descent (like on that mock
strafing run!). With oil injection, the oil delivery is metered in part by
throttle setting and in part by RPM, so at low throttle/high RPM you get a
"richer" oil mix and (hopefully!) adequate lubrication. Of course,
ultralights don't suffer the 'detriment' of high speeds so ignore your
ultralight buddies' advice on this issue. Also, ignore the ultralight prop
manufacturer's recommendations (Powerfin, Ivo, Warp, etc.) and get a Catto
prop (or equivalent) for your 503 SuperQuickie....

David J. Gall

David, Thanks for the info, thought it was so cheap for some
reason. But who is Norm Howell? Don't know of him.

Ron T

Ron & Carolyn Triano Q-200 N4710P
My Web
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc
/page8.html
Quickie 1:
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc
/page9.html
Livermore Fly-in
http://www.farnamengineering.com/LivermoreTandemWingFlyin.html

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

I don't know too much about them, but you might look into the Kohler Cammand 25hp engine. A very modern engine. I think you have to be careful which side you mount the prop on though. Good luck and keep us posted.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

[...]

Dave <dave@...>

Hey Ron,

Did I miss a post or something from you? I thought you were in striking
distance of finishing your Q200. What's up with the talk of a Quickie?
The reason I ask is because as I drew closer to finishing my plane, I
really had to get the blinders on to anything but what it takes to get
that project done. I made choices on what was needed for safe flight,
what would be nice to have and if I get around to it someday and worked
on what was needed. I worked on the nice to have things when I had a
block of time, like winter, where I knew it would not slow me down to
work on those things.

I just flew 2.6 hours this past weekend and it really struck me how
sweet my Tri-Q2 flies and what a pleasure it is to strap it on and go
"floating."

Keep at it. The rewards are worth it.

Dave Richardson
Tri-Q2 825DR 12.9 hrs (32.25% of the way there! But who's counting?)

[...]

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Q-LIST>
" on the web.

_____

rondefly@...

Couldn't pass it up. My Dragonfly had been sitting in my workshop for 9+
years, So I put an add on Barnstormers and found Gary. Now I will see how to
make the Q1 into a LSA. Being as I am setting the specs for it I will set
the pitch buck at the stall speed I need. It is very close to the #'s uncle
FAA wants. I really don't want to put a larger engine on it but may have to
due to the altitude I live at, 6240'. But yes, I am very close on the 200
and that is my primary weekend work, I couldn't resist seeing Sam and others
with the round duct inlets so am in process of building the plenum with the
round inlets. Will have some pictures soon. Back to that dancing, you know,
one step forward and two steps backward.

[...]

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

_____

Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> > .

_____

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation&w1=Aviation&w2=Quickie&w3=Recr
eation&w4=Sports&w5=Aviation+school&w6=Outdoor+recreation&c=6&s=100&.sig=d6L
bAnVGd0FLDuW5XKtTDg>
Quickie
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Quickie&w1=Aviation&w2=Quickie&w3=Recre
ation&w4=Sports&w5=Aviation+school&w6=Outdoor+recreation&c=6&s=100&.sig=-5wj
zf-_G4rEBW55NEEc-w>
Recreation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Recreation&w1=Aviation&w2=Quickie&w3=Re
creation&w4=Sports&w5=Aviation+school&w6=Outdoor+recreation&c=6&s=100&.sig=2
7E58bDl5ZcYMxljxO6B8A>

Sports
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sports&w1=Aviation&w2=Quickie&w3=Recrea
tion&w4=Sports&w5=Aviation+school&w6=Outdoor+recreation&c=6&s=100&.sig=rWpug
cCFs__v2Z71KYSvDA>
Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+school&w1=Aviation&w2=Quickie&
w3=Recreation&w4=Sports&w5=Aviation+school&w6=Outdoor+recreation&c=6&s=100&.
sig=8vrvG63uw5awQqbMB-wYDw> school
Outdoor
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoor+recreation&w1=Aviation&w2=Quick
ie&w3=Recreation&w4=Sports&w5=Aviation+school&w6=Outdoor+recreation&c=6&s=10
0&.sig=43KWAXWSoypULtHANABYnQ> recreation

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

" on the web.

_____

Dave <dave@...>

Thanks, Earnest.

More than you know. Susie played a big part in helping me get the plane
back together. She helped get the new holes drilled in the torque tube
and we were out there Saturday for 6+ hours getting the elevators back
in. Without her, I'd still be using colorful language trying to get it
all back in place.

Dave

Glad to see you getting some quality time with your loved ones.
Earnest

Martin Burns

Just to add to Doug's comments: The Kohler Command engines will give you a very low thrustline, which will severely limit the size of prop you can turn. It is probably worth using a belt reduction drive, which raises the prop line, allowing a larger prop and enabling you to run the engine faster than the stock 3600rpm to get more power from it. The belt drive may also provide some isolation to reduce the torsional stress on the crankshaft that can give problems with mounting the prop directly on the power take-off end.

This is the route I am trying.

Martin Burns
Q1 G-BKSE Scotland

I don't know too much about them, but you might look into the Kohler Cammand
25hp engine. A very modern engine. I think you have to be careful which side
you mount the prop on though. Good luck and keep us posted.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble

rondefly@...

Martin, Do you have any details on the reduction drive you are using, picts,
etc. Is the Kohler engine much higher than the Onan? I've also thought of
using a Kohler or Honda engine with a turbo or Nitrous boost for takeoff
only to get out of my high alt airport.

[...]

It is not the height of the engine that is the problem. Because the Kohler is a V twin, the crankshaft is at the bottom, below the cylinders. This shape also means that it will fit snugly agains the firewall, keeping the c.g. well aft.

I will email you a photo of the setup offline. The reduction drive is a purpose made cog-belt drive.

Martin Burns
Q1 G-BKSE Scotland

Martin, Do you have any details on the reduction drive you are using, picts,
etc. Is the Kohler engine much higher than the Onan? I've also thought of
using a Kohler or Honda engine with a turbo or Nitrous boost for takeoff
only to get out of my high alt airport.

Ron T

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Great Plains Aircraft has info on the 1/2 VW, kit or plans, 35hp, 87 lbs.:
http://www.greatplainsas.com/schalfvw.html

GPA also sells the Kohler Command 25 hp for airboat use:
http://www.greatplainsas.com/airengine.html

Mike Perry

At 03:07 PM 8/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
I don't know too much about them, but you might look into the Kohler Cammand
25hp engine. A very modern engine. I think you have to be careful which side
you mount the prop on though. Good luck and keep us posted.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

David J. Gall

Ron,

Some follow-up: Norm Howell set an FAI record as follows (taken from the FAI
website):

Sub-class : C-1a/0 (Landplanes: take off weight less than 300 kg)
Group 3 : turbo-jet
Speed over a recognised course : 233.54 km/h

Date of flight: 27/07/1988
Pilot: Norman E. HOWELL (USA)
Course/place: Enid, OK (USA)

Aircraft:
Quickie (1 Rotax 503 Dual Carb, 52 hp)
Registered 'N17UQ'

Database ID 1107

Note that FAI incorrectly listed the Rotax 503 DC as a "turbo-jet"!!! The
speed of 233.54 km/hr works out to 145.115mph.

That record was set in 1988. In the Jan/Feb 1990 Q-Talk (pg. 8), Norm talks
about his engine and gearbox. He says he recommeds the 2.238:1 ratio. He
says he's using a 2.00:1 and does not recommend it.

With the 2.00:1, he ran a Prince 2 blade 46D x 53P prop, and that it's "like
third gear on a Porsche... you go like a bat out of hell, but you are slow
off the line. I still don't know how fast mine will go since airframe
redline occurs before engine redline and it's still accelerating."(!)

He talks about the marginal takeoff and climb performance, then recommeds
the 2.238:1, indicating 1200 fpm climbs at 75mph. He says he'll report on
the performance differences when he finishes changing over to the 2.238:1. I
haven't had time to look up the follow-up report.

FYI, Howell held four of the five records ever set in a Quickie. All have
been surpassed. He also held one record in a Long-EZ, and is the current
holder of seven records set in a Boeing C-17 Globemaster.

David J. Gall

[...]

Why use nitrous? Get a 35hp Briggs & Stratton big block engine. At
993cc/60ci there's just no substitute for cubic inches....

David J. Gall