From: rbarbour27@...
Date: Friday, August 12, 2005 1:25 pm
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Nose Gear Construction

Hi Jeff - I just dy/dx ed the I (Moment of Inertia) for the two
tubes you
were considering for your nose gear and the results are as follows:
I for the 1.50 dia. X .090 wall is: .083 inches to the 4th.
I for the 1.25 dia. X .120 wall is: .071 inches to the
4th.Therefore the larger diameter, thinner wall tube is about 15%
stronger than
the smaller diameter, thicker wall tube.

Here's something else to consider:

The area of the 1.50 dia. X ,090 wall is: .076 sqin.
The area of the 1.25 dia. X .125 wall is: .054 sqin.

Although the larger diameter tube is 15% stronger, it is also
nearly 50%
heavier than the smaller tube. I hope this will give you some
food for thought
for your new design nose gear strut.

Good Luck,

Richard Barbour
TriQ200 building.

Gordon Givens

I concur with Tom's values.

> The moment of inertia looks right, but the areas and weights are
> not. The larger thinner tube is both stronger and lighter. I get
> cross section areas of 0.426 for the 1.25 x 0.120 and 0.399 for the
> 1.50 x 0.090.

Tom O'Grady

Sports Aviation school Outdoor recreation