From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of
Tom
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 7:32 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Engine choices

Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to the O-
200 ?

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance&w1=Aviation+mainte
nance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Av
iation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=NYqbfr
CRSu-_RfVcTvi4nA> maintenance

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+training&w1=Aviati
on+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+scho
ols&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.s
ig=UheaD83XCnCASim3ftrZHw> maintenance training

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2=Avi
ation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+maint
enance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dx8FsS6KYgxHm3RuBm
YoSA>

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+art&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2
=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+m
aintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dRTZGQXiIldZ3q
X6IHfOfQ> art

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Tom <tjf3019@...>

So the 0-235 will work then, that is a great option but what about
a mount ?? any ideas ?? Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Sam Hoskins" <shoskins@m...> wrote:
I know of at least one guy, in Canada, that installed an O-235 I
think it
was a hot rod!

I think an IO-240 would be real neat but a lot of $$$$$$$$$

Sam

_____

[...]

LIST> "
on the web.

_____

Bruce Crain

I don't know what the difference if but the 0-235 is heavier than the 0-200. Kimbrell McAndrew is the 0-235 guy from Canada and I believe he said the 0-200 might be the better choice for that difference.
Bruce
N96BJ

-- "Tom" <tjf3019@...> wrote:
So the 0-235 will work then, that is a great option but what about
a mount ?? any ideas ?? Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Sam Hoskins" <shoskins@m...> wrote:
I know of at least one guy, in Canada, that installed an O-235 I
think it
was a hot rod!

I think an IO-240 would be real neat but a lot of $$$$$$$$$

Sam

_____

Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to the O-
200 ?

Paul Buckley

Clive Clapham here in the UK also has a flying Q-0235 and has been flying for a number of years now.

Paul Buckley
Cheshire, England.

-- "Tom" <tjf3019@...> wrote:
So the 0-235 will work then, that is a great option but what about
a mount ?? any ideas ?? Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Sam Hoskins" <shoskins@m...> wrote:
> I know of at least one guy, in Canada, that installed an O-235 I
think it
> was a hot rod!
>
> I think an IO-240 would be real neat but a lot of $$$$$$$$$
>
> Sam
>

> _____

Behalf Of
> Tom
> Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 7:32 PM
> To: Q-LIST@...
> Subject: [Q-LIST] Engine choices
>

> Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to the O-
> 200 ?

Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-235-B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement for the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to the O-
200 ?

Tom <tjf3019@...>

That sounds like a good idea too but is there anyone flying a Q
with a Franklin that can add some personal knowledge about this
idea ? Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@c...> wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to the
O-
200 ?

Tri-Q1 <rryan@...>

Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan
--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tom" <tjf3019@y...> wrote:
That sounds like a good idea too but is there anyone flying a Q
with a Franklin that can add some personal knowledge about this
idea ? Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@c...> wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to the
O-
200 ?

Tom <tjf3019@...>

I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction to go
with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish filling.
Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want to
stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan

wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to
the
O-
200 ?

Tri-Q1 <rryan@...>

Did your Tri-Q project come with an engine?

Ryan
--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tom" <tjf3019@y...> wrote:
I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction to
go
with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish filling.
Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want to
stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan

wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power
replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to
the
O-
200 ?

Tom <tjf3019@...>

No engine, just an airframe. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tom" <tjf3019@y...> wrote:
I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction
go
with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish
filling.
Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want
stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan

wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL
4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power
replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ."
Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option
the
O-
200 ?

Jim Patillo

Tom,

Its been proven time and again that the best engine for the Q200 is
an 0200 continental. As I've said numerous times before when you go
to airshow events, the Q200 with an 0200 is overwhelmingly
predominant. They are the ones that are giving rides! 0200's are
easy to work on, easy to get parts for in the middle of nowhere and
easy to pump up. Ask just anybody that flys one and you'll get the
same answer********************* they work!

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200 Technical Ground Advisor

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tom" <tjf3019@y...> wrote:
I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction
go
with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish
filling.
Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want
stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan

wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin /
PZL
4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power
replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ."
Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an
option
the
O-
200 ?

L Koutz <koutzl@...>

Tom, Where are you located?

Larry

I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction to go with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish filling. Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want to stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom
--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,
Do you have a Q-200 ?
Ryan
wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:
http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm
Mike Perry
At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option to
the
O-
200 ?

BTW Tom,

I'm not trying to take anything away from the progress Larry or Paul
have made on the Corvair and Jabiru engine. Their experimentation
has furthered the cause. Those engines may very well be comparable
or even better engines for the Q200. However the lack of them
operating in Q's should be a point of concern for someone wanting to
get up and running with the least amount of hassle.

Jim Patillo

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tom" <tjf3019@y...> wrote:
I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction
go
with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish
filling.
Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want
stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan

wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin /
PZL
4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power
replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ."
Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an
option
the
O-
200 ?

Steve <sham@...>

Amen and Amen..........

Steve Ham

<dmperry1012@c...>
PZL
> 4A-
> > > 235-
> > replacement
> Website:

> > > the

Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

Tom <tjf3019@...>

Larry,
I am in Middletown, Delaware. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "L Koutz" <koutzl@b...> wrote:
Tom, Where are you located?

Larry

I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction to
go
with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish
filling.
Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want
stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan

wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL
4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power
replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option
the
O-
200 ?

damiantwinsport@...

There is a O time O200 A with acc. on Barnstormers right now for 6k.

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200

I bought a Tri-Q project and looking for the best direction to
go
with it. The airframe is complete except for some finish
filling.
Looking at the 0200 and exploring other engine choices. I want
stay with aircraft engine and not an auto conversion. Tom

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:
Tom,

Do you have a Q-200 ?

Ryan

wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL
4A-
235-
B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power
replacement
for
the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ." Website:

http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

At 12:32 AM 8/31/2005 +0000, you wrote:
Is the Lycoming 0-235 or the Continental IO-240 an option
the
O-
200 ?

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

I've been thinking about the Franklin and Jim's comments ". . . the best
engine for the Q200 is an 0200 continental. . . "

Regarding the Franklin, the real question might be: how close of a
substitute for the O-200 is it? And if no one has used it on a Q-200, has
anyone used it on a different homebuilt designed for the O-200? Currently
I can't find anything except the puff pieces on the web-site. (but I'm not
looking too hard -- a long ways to needing an engine!)

Mike Perry

In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-235-B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement for the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ."
Website:

<http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm>http<http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm>://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Try this web site.
http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/engines.htm
Use Dirk Rackley's numbers cause the top one is wacked...
An 0-235 is 50 lbs heavier than an 0-200A. That's allot stuck out on the nose. This forces you to put a big weight in the tail.
Mike.

Engine Horsepower Weight ----------------------------------- O-200-A 100 190 O-300-A 145 268 O-300-E 145 268 IO-346 165 297 IO-360-B 210 327 TSIO-360-A 210 334 O-235-C1B 115 240 O-290-D2C 140 263 O-320-A2B 150 272 O-320-A2C 150 271 O-320-B2C 160 277 O-320-D2A 160 277 O-320-E2A 160 277

I've been thinking about the Franklin and Jim's comments ". . . the best engine for the Q200 is an 0200 continental. . . "

In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-235-B3 aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement for the Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ."
Website:

<http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm>http<http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm>://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

Mike Perry

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Hi Mike -- Can you explain the O-200-A vs. -B ? I'm used to thinking of
O-200 as weighing +/- 220# ; Rackley lists the -A 30# under the -B. Any
comments?

Mike Perry

At 07:12 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
Try this web site.
<http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/engines.htm>http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/engines.htm
Use Dirk Rackley's numbers cause the top one is wacked...
An 0-235 is 50 lbs heavier than an 0-200A. That's allot stuck out on
the nose. This forces you to put a big weight in the tail.
Mike.

Engine Horsepower Weight
-----------------------------------
O-200-A 100 190
O-300-A 145 268
O-300-E 145 268
IO-346 165 297
IO-360-B 210 327
TSIO-360-A 210 334
O-235-C1B 115 240
O-290-D2C 140 263
O-320-A2B 150 272
O-320-A2C 150 271
O-320-B2C 160 277
O-320-D2A 160 277
O-320-E2A 160 277

In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry wrote:
You could also consider the Franklin, "The Franklin / PZL 4A-235-B3
aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement for the
Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. . . ."
Website:

<<http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm>http://www.franklinengines.com/4
a.cfm>

Mike Perry