From: Jerry Marstall
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 10:00 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Props

What are you guys running the high compression O-200's using as props?
(dia x pitch, performance)
Jerry Marstall

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Doug for max speed the idea is to choose pitch and diam for WOT redline rpm . More pitch with smaller dia will go faster at the same redline rpm. It is just a matter if finding out how far we can go with this airframe before the prop is too small. There has been a tendency for everyone to follow others and choose 60x72 but nothing new is discovered without breaking this trend.
I have a hunch that we could use 74"pitch and cut the diam to achieve redline rpm. The 0-200 comp planes are not going much past 3000rpm.
Think about 3500rpm.
Peter

From: "Peter Harris" <peterjfharris@...>
To: Q-LIST@...
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:55:37 +1000

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

What are you guys running the high compression O-200's using as props? (dia x pitch, performance)
Jerry Marstall

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

60x70

_____

What are you guys running the high compression O-200's using as props?
(dia x pitch, performance)
Jerry Marstall

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

who made it?

Sam Hoskins wrote:

60x70

_____
What are you guys running the high compression O-200's using as props? (dia x pitch, performance)
Jerry Marstall

_____
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Jerry,

I use a 60/72 Catto Prop. It has great pull down the runway and tops
out at 3,100 RPM.

Jim Patillo

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

[...]

Bruce Crain

Hi Dave,
The oil exits the crank case breather at around 3100 rpm but only if you take off the gyro suction pump and leave the gear that turns it. The gear becomes a small turbine and sends the oil up the side of the crank case to go out the breather tube. If you cut off the gear when the cases are apart you will take care of the problem. But then 3100 rpm is to much if you want to make TBO with the 0200.
Jon Finley gave me Gary Hunters (Pushey Gallore's crew chief) phone number and he said they had the same thing on "Pushey Gallore" until they moved the breather tube back to a different location on the back of the engine.
Bruce

-- "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
Hi Peter,

I recall an fall fly-in where Bruce Crain learned something about
extended higher rpms on an O200 where he got a good amount of oil
ejected from the engine that wrapped around the fuselage. Perhaps Bruce
can chime in and shed some light on what happened. My recollection may
be wrong, but I thought he attributed it to extended higher rpms.

Dave Richardson

Ron <rondefly@...>

There is a cure for that problem, The Aerobat 0200 has an extended ½” pipe
elbow that sticks into the case about 1.4” further. I just drilled out my
elbow for ½” copper pipe and silver soldered it together, I think
continental gets about 150. for the part. It cost me nothing.

Ron T

Ron's Quickies, Page 8 is the Q200 and 9 is the Quickie and page 10 is a new
Q200 page.
<http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page8.html>
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page8.html

<http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page9.html>
http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page9.html

http://bld01.ipowerweb.com/contentmanagement/websites/rtrianoc/page10.html

_____

Dave I have no experience with the 0-200 and no advice about max rpm for
that engine but I would expect that oil ejection sould be curable.
Peter

What are you guys running the high compression O-200's using as props?

(dia x pitch, performance)
Jerry Marstall

Service.

Service.

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance&w1=Aviation+mainte
nance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Av
iation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=NYqbfr
CRSu-_RfVcTvi4nA> maintenance

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+training&w1=Aviati
on+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+scho
ols&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.s
ig=UheaD83XCnCASim3ftrZHw> maintenance training

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2=Avi
ation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+maint
enance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dx8FsS6KYgxHm3RuBm
YoSA>

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+art&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2
=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+m
aintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dRTZGQXiIldZ3q
X6IHfOfQ> art

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Thanks Paul. I hope you don't mind me blowing your trumpet but it seemed significant to me that you are turning the 72" pitch prop faster because of the smaller diameter. It would be interesting to see how it would really compare at the Ottawa comp .
Meantime my J6 will start up this week. The installation is much easier and quicker without radiator or ignition worries that is for sure.
Cheers, Peter

I think that you may have missed my point, I don't put much store in
TAS. The Ottawa info is not TAS but actual ground speed. I know
that there are other Q's that are faster than mine. Jim Patillo's is
one that I know of. Sam's I believe is faster than Jim's and there
are others I'm sure. I don't want to miss lead you, the stock Jabiru
will put you up there but you should expect 175 mph for cruise and
200 max if you have a fast plane and a good prop.

Paul Spackman

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Peter Harris" <peterjfharris@b...>
wrote:

> Thanks David. What has got me going on this is that Paul is getting
230mph TAS with the Jab 6 120HP at 3300rpm. That is 30mph better than
any of the Ottawa results and AFAIK he has quietly set a new record
which seems to have gone unnoticed. I think the secret is that Paul's
prop is 54"dia x72 and the Jab can turn it at 3300 while the 0-200
results were taken at about the same HP turning the same pitch 72"
but 60" dia at 3000 RPM max.ie down 300rpm for the same power
input.It would be instructive to compare the power/torque curves for
both engines, I have the J6 data . Anyone got a lead on the 0-200
torque curves?
> As a matter of interest I made a number of measurements both with
the Revmaster/Cowley 56X49, and the Norton 60X24deg (3blades) and was
surprised to find a straight line relationship between airspeed and
RPM for a given prop/pitch setting all the way from 80KTS to the max.
> Yeah the tongue will be twitching as the blade goes in.
> Peter
> Peter

Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Thanks Bob I for the correction and congratulations on your several great performances.
Peter

From: "Peter Harris" <peterjfharris@b...>
To: Q-LIST@...
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:55:37 +1000

> Jerry it is worth taking a look at the website link
to "performance" and view
> the annual results of the Ottawa comps. Most on record use
60x72 and run close
> to 3000rpm. IMO if this prop were reduced to say 56"dia and run
at 32-3300rpm
> the performance would be faster.ie increase rpm by reducing
the diameter (to
> a certain limit). I don't think we have found the limit yet. I
have chosen a
> 60x72 Sterba but will cut it down to achieve redline rpm at WOT
level
> flight,but I suspect you could go as high as 74" pitch with a
reduced
> diameter.I think there is more potential airspeed to be found.
> Peter

of Service.

----------

Bob Malechek

Hi Guy's! You need to compare apples to apples when evaluating air speeds.
Ottawa speeds included a standing start, climb out and total time around a
triangle course. The race / performance runs at Ottawa are run just like
Sun-N-Fun 100 race based on total times.

Bob Malechek
Old Q-driver and eternal Quickie fan.

Brad Olson <n1tm@...>

Jerry,

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Jim Patillo"
<logistics_engineering@m...> wrote:

Jerry,
Tom Moore had a 60x72 Aymar-Demuth on his plane when I bought it. The
prop was very smooth at 2600-2700 RPM, but did not give the runway
acceleration and climb that Jim got with a Catto. I later bought a
Catto 60x72 that was shaped a little different than Jim's. The runway
acceleration and climb improved over the Demuth although the Catto was
not quite as smooth. The engine could turn that prop at up to 3300
RPM, so Catto worked it to lower top RPM down to 3000. I now have a 3
blade Catto, a 57x74, that is very smooth and quiet. TAS at 5500ft is
168-170 knots, turning 2790 RPM.

Brad Olson
N321TM, Livermore

I use a 60/72 Catto Prop. It has great pull down the runway and tops
out at 3,100 RPM.

Jim Patillo

--- In Q-LIST@..., Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@b...> wrote:

What are you guys running the high compression O-200's using as
props?
(dia x pitch, performance)
Jerry Marstall

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Thanks Brad, Your information is very, very helpful. That is the kind
of stuff I am looking for.
Jerry