From: matt Hughes
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 5:53 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Q1 canard

Doug, Peter, Leon

I am looking at the option of carbon fiber spars for a Q1. I read the resources links page on the QBA web page.

The carbon fiber spars sound great. One question. The spars only extend from BL10 inboard out along the canard from the tip working its way back..correct. I am concerned about the strength at BL10 - the center section and where BL10 inboard are connected. Isn't this where most of the fatigue and stress is showing. It seems that the rest of the canard has been strengthend but not this joint.

Leon i was not able to get the cad drawings to work but i did read the instructions.

Thanks for all of your information and interest. I am finding this build very intersting and kowlegable.

---------------------------------

Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Matt my comments refer to the original single tubular carbon fibre spar which is quite different from Leon's CF spar for the Q1.
Peter

matt Hughes <smoothmatson@...>

Leon - C <leon@...>

I am looking at the option of carbon fiber spars for a Q1. I read the
resources links page on the QBA web page.

The carbon fiber spars sound great. One question. The spars only
extend from BL10 inboard out along the canard from the tip working its way
back..correct. I am concerned about the strength at BL10 - the center
section and where BL10 inboard are connected. Isn't this where most of the
fatigue and stress is showing. It seems that the rest of the canard has
been strengthend but not this joint.

The first rod is one piece from tip to tip. The rest of the rods are
also one piece - but progressively shorter - centered on mid span. The
resulting spar cap is widest, chord wise, at BL-0/BL-10 and tapers to only 1
rod at the tip.

Leon i was not able to get the cad drawings to work but i did read the
instructions.
I'm doing CAD right now trying to get the last few drawings finished for the
original plans. If all goes well, and I manage to stay from the sleep
inducing Hydrocodone, I may finish this weekend. If I do then I can try to
get one of my plotters working again. Once this is finished then I can
strip out the relevant parts of Alan Thayer's drawings and print the
templates. One plotter has been sitting and may need new ink. Can't find
drivers for WinXP that work right with the new one.
============
Leon McAtee

Leon - C <leon@...>

From: <damiantwinsport@...>

Leon spoilsport!

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200
+++++++++++
Me!?
It may not be a direct replacement, but it should be easily adapted. The
CG will have to be moved forward about 3 inches and tip gear is not an
option.

When I first decided that I "needed" an LS-1 canard the original tubular
spars were not available and finding copies of the QAC templates proved hard
enough - so I decided that if I was going to build from scratch that I might
as well incorporate my own "improvements".

When/If the first insurance check appears in the mail box the load test is
one of the first things to get finished - provided I can round up help to
load the ton +1/4 of cement. (need the cement for another project so I
might as well get double use from it)
Leon McAtee
Really giving the ol' spell checker a good workout

Even if it proves to be structurally sound it will not
be a direct replacement for either of the stock QAC canards.
Leon McAtee