Spring Fling 06

Keith Welsh <kfly@...>

Hello everyone:

We are two weekends away from the Quickie / Dragonfly spring fly-in at the Casey Airport in Casey, IL.
The airport is ready and it looks like we will have a very nice executive hangar to ourselves.....
just as soon as the girl softball team removes their batting cage and netting. Their season is over and the hangar is being cleaned out.
Sandy and Howie are looking forward to seeing and looking over the Q's and D's from a mechanics point of view.
Also if you wouldn't mind I'd like to begin to get a rough idea of how many of you to expect for making reservations at Richards Farm for a private room for the Friday evening meal. Just drop me a note on the LIST or send to kfly@...

Be sure to visit the web site at http://quickiebuilders.org/QBA05/SpringFling/2006_spring_fling.htm
for all your information.

Thanks and I hope to see you then.
Keith Welsh
Q-1 N494K

MartinErni@...

Keith,
I will be there weather permitting. Wouldn't miss it.
Earnest

Robert Justin

Will try to get there

Bob Justin

[...]

kfly@juno.com <kfly@...>

Hi Bob:
Thanks for the note. Here's hopin for good wx and looking forward to seeing ya.
Keith

Terry Crouch

Hi Keith,

I'll be there, I know of several others that said they were going.

Terry Crouch
[...]

Hi Earnest:

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it. Lookin forward to seeing ya.

Tri-Q1 <rryan@...>

Be sure to visit the web site at
http://quickiebuilders.org/QBA05/SpringFling/2006_spring_fling.htm
for all your information.

Thanks and I hope to see you then.
Keith Welsh
Q-1 N494K

Robert Justin

Bob Justin, not able to attend, need to repair spark plug.
Off comes the engine.

[...]

HI Bob:

Very sorry to hear that. We will miss you and your bird.

Thanks
Keith

Bob Justin, not able to attend, need to repair spark plug.
Off comes the engine.
> We are two weekends away from the Quickie / Dragonfly spring fly-in at the
> Casey Airport in Casey, IL.
> The airport is ready and it looks like we will have a very nice executive
> hangar to ourselves.....
> just as soon as the girl softball team removes their batting cage and
> netting. Their season is over and the hangar is being cleaned out.
> Sandy and Howie are looking forward to seeing and looking over the Q's and
> D's from a mechanics point of view.
> Also if you wouldn't mind I'd like to begin to get a rough idea of how
> many of you to expect for making reservations at Richards Farm for a
> private room for the Friday evening meal. Just drop me a note on the LIST
> or send to kfly@...
>
> Be sure to visit the web site at
> http://quickiebuilders.org/QBA05/SpringFling/2006_spring_fling.htm
> for all your information.
>
> Thanks and I hope to see you then.
> Keith Welsh
> Q-1 N494K
>

> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

So, Bob. What is the rest of the story? Pulling the engine to replace a
spark plug seems a little labor intensive.

Sam

_____

[...]

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance&w1=Aviation+mainte
nance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Av
iation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=NYqbfr
CRSu-_RfVcTvi4nA> maintenance

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+training&w1=Aviati
on+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+scho
ols&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.s
ig=UheaD83XCnCASim3ftrZHw> maintenance training

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2=Avi
ation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+maint
enance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dx8FsS6KYgxHm3RuBm
YoSA>

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+art&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2
=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+m
aintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dRTZGQXiIldZ3q
X6IHfOfQ> art

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Bruce Crain

Sorry Keith,
I won't be able to make it. My BFR is due and this is the weekend for that. I am out of currency as of June 1 so my hands are tied. I know you fellow will have fun. Post some pictures.

Bruce Crain
N96BJ

Robert Justin

Spark plug lead shorted out.

[...]

Does that mean yur comin?

> So, Bob. What is the rest of the story? Pulling the engine to replace a
> spark plug seems a little labor intensive.
>
> Sam
>

> _____

Wait a minute, if I remember right about the Q-2's with the mags recessed in the firewall, the engine comes off to do what's minor on most. Right?

Keith

> So, Bob. What is the rest of the story? Pulling the engine to replace a
> spark plug seems a little labor intensive.
>
> Sam
>

> _____

All:

We have a person with a Q2 in the box, never started, and is willing to bring it to the Spring Fling in Casey if there is interest. Below is the info on the kit.

If anyone is interested let me know ASAP as they will need to know to justify bringing it.

1. The kit was never started and is still in the boxes that it came in.
2. It is complete, with the following extras;

* graphite spars for the NASA LS mod
* hydraulic brake kit
* engine oil sump drain assembly
* geared electric starter
* prefabricated fuel tank
* communication radio antenna kit
* navigation radio antenna kit

3. all the required paperwork is there; materials list, construction
manuals and drawings plus a number of the Quick talk news letters.
4. the serial no. is 2369
5. the engine is a Revmaster 2100-D

It was purchased it in 1981 for $12,482. with all the extras.

Keith Welsh <kfly@...>

Hello everyone:

The Canard Spring Fling 2006 at the Casey Municipal Airport in Casey, IL is now history.

Despite the unusually low turnout the weekend as a whole couldn't have been better. The 20 (including me)
who signed the registration sheet were treated to absolutely beautiful weather, one example of each type of Quickie (Q-1 Keith Welsh, Q200 Sam Hoskins, Tri-Q Dave Davis), and a Mark II Dragonfly (Steve Laribee).
Other aircraft flying in were 2 Pulsar's, 2 PA-28's, a Swift and a C-170. And yes you didn't see Terry Crouch's name mentioned. WHAT!!!....TERRY!!!....NOT THERE!!! Well.. yes.. Terry was there but due to an unfortunate set of circumstances he found himself with an airplane needing a minor repair and no airport for a test flight. The Quad City Airshow was gearing up for the weekend rendering the facility nearly impossible for use.
So instead he drove down in his Lexus and man that puppy gets right with the program. Those things are much more than cars with fancy interiors. As it turned out he was great help and should be considered a
co-host. I really appreciate it. Thanks Terry.

Friday evening at Richards Farm restaurant didn't disappoint. We all gorged ourselves.
The Saturday noon meal, a surprise to everyone as I grilled pork burgers, was well received (mopping sweat from my brow as I had no substitute in case they were not liked). It's in the spice folks, believe me. Porkburgers are good but tasteless without sumpin to spruce em up a bit.

Everyone there was very appreciative that they were able to see and experience all they came for and no one left disappointed. And that is always the primary objective. Heck I even gave my best ever Q-1 flight demo. A few commented that they didn't know an Onan Quickie could do all that. In experienced hands it can be demoed impressively. The secret is knowing that gravity can be used as an amassing airspeed builder when needed. Of course with only 20hp it bleeds off quickly when the maneuver begins but starting at 140 mph at full throttle buys allot of time to demonstrate a Quickie.

Sam's condition inspection demo went off very well. He covered the legal aspects of maintaining noncertified airplanes, asked a few questions which received the wrong answers from the group, covered log book entries and let us look over his logbooks. He even changed his oil and showed how a filter inspection should be done. Many thanks to Sam for doing this. It was a real attention keeper.

My personal highlight was Sam's invitation for a ride in his Q200. We were out about 20 minutes and I was able to fly the airplane. I was surprised as to how similar it's handling and control input is to the Q1 the only major noticeable thing was the 115 mph difference in top speed. GEEZE!! I've never been that fast behind a propeller. And boy did the fence rows pass by in a hurry.

Special recognition will have to go to a pair who did not attend but tried. Earnest Martin with Jerry Marstell called Saturday midmorning that they were forced to turn back when running into an overcast wall around Knoxville, TN. Their choice was to scud run at below 500' or file IFR to which neither is instrument rated. Wise choice guys and thanks for your efforts. It didn't go unnoticed.

Well...that's about all I have. While we had an unexpectedly small event it was rich with quality. My personal thanks to those who brought your planes, the cornerstone of any flyin, the stars of the show, the on site experts, and those the builders and dreamers look up to. Your participation really means allot and is the measure of success for these events. Thank you.

For the Spring Fling 2006
Keith Welsh
Quickie N494K

Robert Justin

Thank for having the Fly-In this year. May be my Q will beable to make next year..

[...]

Steve Ham <sham@...>

Big thank's to Keith,

Did a great job on the weather and the event. I'll be back again next
year..and I'll leave the spancan at home.

Thanks again

Steve Ham

[...]

jeffs912ex@...

Thanks Keith,
Did a great job. The burgers were excellent. Good choice for airports, felt
welcomed by all. First time I saw a Q-1 perform, very cool! Nice looking
machine too.

Jeff Sell

Keith Welsh <kfly@...>

Thanks Jeff for coming:

Glad you enjoyed yourself and liked the burgers. Kinda sweated that one at first, glad everyone liked em.
I received several compliments so I guess I'll fix them again. One person asked about the local of the pig and it did come from the home farm. I just grabbed a few boxes, said adios, and headed for the airport.
Thanks for mentioning the airport, was wondering how it was received. And glad you liked the Q1 demo. I have very few in flight pix. If you have any could you send a few.

Oh and thanks for saving Sam's day. That was GREAT!! One never knows what lays around the corner at these events.

Thanks again