Flight Test

Boddicker <trumanst@...>

18 May 06
Plan for today was to fly away from the airport and pitch bucks.
TO from 35 was again normal. Climb at 110 to 115 MPH to keep the CHTs lower.
Flew over our house and around the local area for a while. back to the
airport for the pitch buck tests. Power on speeds were a bit slower than
power off. No buck until about 70MPH IAS. On one recovery, the airspeed had
increased a bit so I pulled back on the stick to loose some speed. The plane
bucked at about 85 MPH. I could not reproduce this. Maybe an accelerated
stall of the canard. The reflexor was set at or slightly below 1/4² TE up.
Power off tests were very much as expected. Did use about 1000 ft of
altitude during these tests. While still at 4500¹, I decided to fly to
Decorah.
The landing was bad. Everything looking great. Speed, decent, round out,
then a gust raised the right side. The left main came down hard. I then over
flared ( hard to change old habits) came back down on the mains hard. Nose
down hard and sprang back into the air, but the mains were on the ground.
Results, ground off the lower tail skin and half of the rear clearance
light. Did no damage to the rudder or attach points. I did not know it had
happened until my CFI, who was watching the whole thing, told me. Of little
consolation, he did say things looked great until the gust caught me. Put in
5 gal of fuel and flew back to the airport. Landing on 35 normal.

Kevin Boddicker
Luana, Iowa
Tri Q200 N7868B 13.2 hours
Flying!!!!

britmcman99

Kevin:

I didn't realize that Tri-Qs needed a tail spring. :o)

Phil

Bruce Crain

Hey Kevin,
I have that same "non-tail spring" rash on the back of my TriQ! Got the nose to high because I thought the speed was slow enough to warrant a little more up in landing attitude.. Don't let that nose get above the horizon. I know I am saying the obvious. My kids had that same problem with me. Power is the key here. Aren't you glad you mounted the heavy duty nose gear!!!

Bless you Bro'
Bruce

Boddicker <trumanst@...>

Bruce,
Roger the nose gear!!!
Kevin

on 5/23/06 8:59 PM, jcrain2@... at jcrain2@... wrote:

Hey Kevin,
I have that same "non-tail spring" rash on the back of my TriQ! Got the nose
to high because I thought the speed was slow enough to warrant a little more
up in landing attitude.. Don't let that nose get above the horizon. I know I
am saying the obvious. My kids had that same problem with me. Power is the
key here. Aren't you glad you mounted the heavy duty nose gear!!!

Bless you Bro'
Bruce

Ron Weiss <ronweiss4@...>

--funny, i just glassed a hard mount for a tail-skid on my tri q
then came home and read this. simple design with 2 break-away points
to absorb shocks. let me know if your interested ....Ron- In Q-
LIST@..., Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

[...]

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

Kevin – I believe there is a retrofit mod for this kind of problem. You
simply mount a little wheel on the very end of the tail. You can even make
it swivel and hook it up to the rudder pedals. Some of us are still using
it.

Sam

_____

[...]

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance&w1=Aviation+mainte
nance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Av
iation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=NYqbfr
CRSu-_RfVcTvi4nA> maintenance

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+training&w1=Aviati
on+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+scho
ols&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.s
ig=UheaD83XCnCASim3ftrZHw> maintenance training

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2=Avi
ation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+maint
enance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dx8FsS6KYgxHm3RuBm
YoSA>

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+art&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2
=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+m
aintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dRTZGQXiIldZ3q
X6IHfOfQ> art

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Then you could save some weight and get rid of the nose wheel!
Mike

Sam Hoskins wrote:

[...]

1/4 TE up.

Power off tests were very much as expected. Did use about 1000 ft
of

altitude during these tests. While still at 4500, I decided to
[...]

Yes but even non pilots can fly it with a nose wheel. ;o)
Bruce

Sam Hoskins wrote:
Kevin I believe there is a retrofit mod for this kind of problem. You
simply mount a little wheel on the very end of the tail. You can even make
it swivel and hook it up to the rudder pedals. Some of us are still using
it.

Sam

Boddicker <trumanst@...>

Clever. Very clever!!! :>)

on 5/25/06 5:46 AM, Sam Hoskins at shoskins@... wrote:

[...]

Paul Buckley

Take no notice Kev. They are just being bitchy. Must be the time of the